Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 11-19-2011, 10:38 AM   #1
Morfs

Default Munchkin RULES QUESTION

1) Guys, could you explain one more time for me...
The orc card, lets supose its an EPIC ORC...

Kicks open the door, find a lv1 monster, he can eat it and NO ONE can do anything about it???
I mean, no WANDERING MONSTER, no DEUS EX, no "OUT FOR LUNCH", ANYTHING??
If he's lv19 he won the game? FINISH? Thats it? He won? nothin to discuss?

================================================== =======

2) What about the EPIC ORC kicks open the door, since he's EPIC he opens 2 doors and find 2 lv 1 monsters...

He eat them both? 2lvs, 2tresures, nothing we can do about it?

================================================== =======

3)Cheat cards let you use an item when you can't use them...
So if i use a CHEAT card on a big item, it still count as a big item?
I mean, as the rules says, i can only CARRY AND USE one big item, if i have two in my hand, can i equip one and use a cheat card on the other? or like its 2 big items i can't CARRY/EQUIP them both?

Thx again for the help mates!
=D
Morfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:48 AM   #2
Mister Ed

Default Re: Munchkin RULES QUESTION

The Epic Orc can't be stopped from munching the Level 1 Monster, but that doesn't mean combat instantly ends. Someone could still play a Wandering Monster, or some other card that would be legal to play at that point, to stop you.

If he gets two Level 1 Monsters, he can munch them both, for 2 levels if nobody stops that. But again, that doesn't mean combat is immediately over. Other players still get a chance to stop you from winning.

And, yes, a Cheat! will let you use another Big item, even if you already have one in play. However, it doesn't stop it from being Big, it just makes it so you can play it anyway. This is an important distinction because there are other things that are relevent to whether it is Big or not. A Thief still can't take try to steal a Cheat!ed Big item, because it is still Big. A curse that affected Big items would still be able to target that item, because it is still Big (though, if the Curse simply made it illegal for you to use Big items, rather than forcing you to discard them, you could, I assume, keep the Cheat!ed one).
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 11:33 AM   #3
Morfs

but....i don't understand...

If i kick open the door and find a lv1 monster...
Someone can use a wandering monster, ok....
Then what happens???
The ORC gain a lv by eating the monster then he fights the monster that was used with the wandering monster?

Or he can't eat the lv1 monster anymore and must fight the lv1+the other monster normaly??

And in other situations, like i kick open the door and find two mosnters...
one lv1 and another lvX(different from 1)

What happens? Please explain me all those possibilities, cause i'm not understanding....
XDD
Morfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:21 PM   #4
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morfs View Post
but....i don't understand...

If i kick open the door and find a lv1 monster...
Someone can use a wandering monster, ok....
Then what happens???
The ORC gain a lv by eating the monster then he fights the monster that was used with the wandering monster?

Or he can't eat the lv1 monster anymore and must fight the lv1+the other monster normaly??

And in other situations, like i kick open the door and find two mosnters...
one lv1 and another lvX(different from 1)

What happens? Please explain me all those possibilities, cause i'm not understanding....
XDD
You never gain levels until combat is over. The Orc Epic ability does NOT give you the level instantly, it just allows you to defeat the Level 1 monster instantly. You don't gain the levels until combat is over, and combat isn't over until after your opponents have had a reasonable amount of time to act to try to stop you from winning.

If you Munch a Level 1 monster, and somebody Wanders in a Level 20, and you can't beat it and have to run away, you get no Level from munching the Level 1 monster. If you kick down two doors and find a Level 1 and a Level 20 monster, you munch the Level 1 monster instantly, but still have to deal with the Level 20 monster before you get any levels.

Again, Levels (and treasure) are never distributed until after combat is completely over.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:45 AM   #5
Brugist

You can also play something (I can't remember the name) that, for example, switches any JUST DRAWN door with a door from your hand or something.

Not trying to confuse you, but for example:
Epic Orc kicks in the door, gets LvL-1 monster. Someone could play said card and switch the monster with a trap, etc, before the Orc could eat it, because it says "Any just drawn door" so , in essence, the lvl -1 monster was NEVER DRAWN, instead the other door was.

The same thing with the Churninator in Call of Cowthulhu expansion. It lets you instantly defeat any level 1 / 2 monster, but those can still be switched, paradoxed (paradox in a box, switches the combat to a player of the card-casters choice), or other monsters can be wandered in.

It just all has to be somewhat timely.

Last edited by Brugist; 11-21-2011 at 12:59 PM.
Brugist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:25 AM   #6
Nerftw

No, because once the Orc has eaten the monster, the card is no longer in play and cannot be affected by another card. By your reasoning, you could play that card at any point between kicking down the door and the next time a door is kicked down, retroactively altering every move prior to it.

If you play it before the Orc says "I eat the monster", then it works, but not after. Once an action is taken, the door wasn't "just drawn", and would require quite a few mental gymnastics if other cards were also being thrown down in the meantime.
Nerftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:48 PM   #7
Brugist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerftw View Post
No, because once the Orc has eaten the monster, the card is no longer in play and cannot be affected by another card. By your reasoning, you could play that card at any point between kicking down the door and the next time a door is kicked down, retroactively altering every move prior to it.

If you play it before the Orc says "I eat the monster", then it works, but not after. Once an action is taken, the door wasn't "just drawn", and would require quite a few mental gymnastics if other cards were also being thrown down in the meantime.
I'm pretty sure I'm correct on this, we can get an official ruling here and if I'm wrong I'll PM you an apology, but I have ASKED Andrew about this with the Churninator, and said "Door-switch" card CAN be played within the 2.6.

Ideally, the Epic Orc will kick in the door, show the Monster to his fellow players, and those players have a reasonable amount of time (2.6 seconds, for forums sake) to say "I'm going to play this card to switch that door for this one so you don't get the levels." Then, the monster could not be eaten, because technically it was never drawn.
On the other hand, the Epic Orc can't kick in the door, look at the card and say "It's eaten" before allowing another player to play something, or even look at said Monster. That's unfair.

Last edited by Brugist; 11-21-2011 at 12:58 PM.
Brugist is offline   Reply With Quote