Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-15-2011, 01:19 PM   #1
Onkl

Default [DF] Maximum Skill Levels?

Hi

I am sorry if this has been asked before - or if it's in the DF Books hidden from me somwhere; I was unable to find anything with the search option.

In Dungeon Fantasy, have you set a maximum limit on your skill levels?
If you did so, how high did you set it and why.

I am thinking about setting the limit to 25 but am affraid, that 30 would be better. It would be great if you could share your experience with skill limits in Dungeon Fantasy.

Thanks

Onkl
Onkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 01:54 PM   #2
Miles

Default Re: [DF] Maximum Skill Levels?

Going off of DF 11, there technically isn't a limit, since scholars don't have an IQ cap.

Other than that, I think the highest presented skill level would be a Dark One/Elder-Spawn (with maxed Elder Gift) Demonologist (IQ cap 25) with maxed Close to Hell and a dip into Shaman for Spirit Talker. Assuming you don't do something crazy like directly raise your skill level, that's Occultism at IQ+13, or 38.

Of course, none of that tells you were to put a skill cap, just how many bonuses you can stack up.
Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 02:12 PM   #3
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkl View Post
Hi

I am sorry if this has been asked before - or if it's in the DF Books hidden from me somwhere; I was unable to find anything with the search option.

In Dungeon Fantasy, have you set a maximum limit on your skill levels?
If you did so, how high did you set it and why.

I am thinking about setting the limit to 25 but am affraid, that 30 would be better. It would be great if you could share your experience with skill limits in Dungeon Fantasy.

Thanks

Onkl
I've set it at stat+10, and well, we're getting there. Of course we play 500 point DF...
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:18 PM   #4
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World

I'm not setting a limit. Stat+10 sounds reasonable, but then you are just encouraging Swashbucklers to max out DX ASAP instead of just buying more sword skill.

Besides, one of our Knights started with DX 14 and Two-Handed Sword @ DX+7 (it's allowed if you dump Shield). It doesn't seem fun or reasonable to tell him he's got a maximum of 3 more levels of Two-Handed Sword before he has to up DX to improve it.

If he really wants to dump 76 more points into the skill and get skill 40, well, that's fine, I don't think it's worth the points but it's his PC.
My S&C Blog
My Dungeon Fantasy Game Blog
"You fall onto five death checks." - Andy Dokachev
Peter V. Dell'Orto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:04 PM   #5
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadkiller_Dog View Post
If he really wants to dump 76 more points into the skill and get skill 40, well, that's fine, I don't think it's worth the points but it's his PC.
Where as I would disagree. I would defiantly enfores a hard cap not a relative capleting the player's choice how to reach it.

But not 'fine' for a PC to descried to bring their skill above the cap. As the Cap reflecta world view of power scale. if the world bests are a level it is not more a PC option to break it than it a PC choice to bring in any other character concept that does not fit the campaign.

This is also because I what to encourage Techniques which is the real differ at the top.

also in DF Fighter types are tradation masters of many arms and fighting style, getting close to the cap gives the more reason to be more verstile rather than 1 trick ponies.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:13 PM   #6
Langy

In DF? I wouldn't enforce any kind of maximum skill level. Higher skill levels drop in utility as they get higher and higher, so a proper DF player (read: munchkin) shouldn't be increasing his skill way past the reasonable stage anyways.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:37 PM   #7
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
But not 'fine' for a PC to descried to bring their skill above the cap. As the Cap reflecta world view of power scale. if the world bests are a level it is not more a PC option to break it than it a PC choice to bring in any other character concept that does not fit the campaign.
"Best swordsman to ever live" is a valid DF concept in my game.

Quote:
This is also because I what to encourage Techniques which is the real differ at the top.
I am playing straight DF, and there are no techniques per se in DF. There are Power Ups that mimic maxed-out techniques, though, but even so raw skill is generally more useful than bunches of power ups. I don't see a reason to stomp on raw skill in this kind of genre.

Quote:
also in DF Fighter types are tradation masters of many arms and fighting style, getting close to the cap gives the more reason to be more verstile rather than 1 trick ponies.
That's open to interpretation. The PC in question is a Weapon Master (Greatsword) and has maxed out Two-Handed Sword and isn't bothering with anything else. That's a perfectly valid by-the-book character, with almost 10% of his total points in one skill (and more like almost 20% when you factor in Weapon Master, a further 20). He isn't required or even encouraged by the template to broaden out, otherwise Sean wouldn't have written up a one-weapon option.

I don't expect skill 40, I think he'll probably halt near or just above 30 based on the usefulness of ultra-high skills, but he can do whatever he likes.
My S&C Blog
My Dungeon Fantasy Game Blog
"You fall onto five death checks." - Andy Dokachev
Peter V. Dell'Orto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:44 PM   #8
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadkiller_Dog View Post
"Best swordsman to ever live" is a valid DF concept in my game.
Which is Exactly why I enforce skill caps. so that concept actully has meaning. and the player knows what they need to do to fulfill it
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:24 PM   #9
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

So, just out of curiosity, what is the benefit of having a skill over 20? I know that, with critical failures (at 17 and 18, right? keep in mind, I'm a collector, not a player...), there's always going to be a 1.85% chance of critical failure, so the higher skill levels just lets the character not have to worry about normal failures when doing increasingly wild and improbable actions.
Pragmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:25 PM   #10
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
Higher skill levels drop in utility as they get higher and higher, so a proper DF player (read: munchkin) shouldn't be increasing his skill way past the reasonable stage anyways.
I'm usually more concerned that one of my players will do the math in a GURPS book and start munching out on attributes. For stuff like DF or Action, Skill-30 really doesn't matter that much, and the points someone used to get that high gives him some sort of Achilles' heel.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
challenge, dungeon fantasy, kromm explanation, skill levels