Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2011, 09:48 AM   #31
Dalillama
 
Dalillama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Default Re: Game: Guess the (historical) character!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
Actually, we're still waiting for DAlillama to say whether either of the answers to his posting are correct...
Trans is right, it was Emperor Norton
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:21 AM   #32
trans
 
trans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Augsburg, Germany
Default Re: Game: Guess the (historical) character!

Well, I`m pretty darn sure about that one. Emperor Norton fits perfectly, except maybe that he died right at the beginning of TL6.
trans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:20 AM   #33
Dalillama
 
Dalillama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Default Re: Game: Guess the (historical) character!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trans View Post
Well, I`m pretty darn sure about that one. Emperor Norton fits perfectly, except maybe that he died right at the beginning of TL6.
I couldn't recall the cutoff date.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:25 AM   #34
John Smith
 
John Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Somewhere.
Default Re: Game: Guess the (historical) character!

DAlillama hasn't ataken his turn yet, and it's been a whole week... so I'm going ahead and posting a new character.

Human Male, TL 3
ST 12
DX 10
IQ 11
HT 12

Status 7
Languages: French (Native-Illiterate); English (Broken-Illiterate)
Wealth: Filthy Rich
Charisma 1
Overconfidence (Borderline Megalomania)
Bad Temper (Only when called "******* the *******"
Code of Honor (Chivalry) (Sort of)
Fat

Bow
Lance
Broadsword
Shield
Spear
Riding (Horse)
Law
Strategy
Tactics
Leadership
Administration
John Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:09 AM   #35
Landwalker
 
Landwalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Cumberland, ME
Default Re: Game: Guess the (historical) character!

That's William the Bastard (I mean, the Conqueror), of course. Wasn't aware that he was fat, and Martial Arts is pretty clear that the cavalry of William's time wouldn't have used Lance (Early Medieval Knightly Mounted Combat), but as soon as I saw his languages and Bad Temper, it was clear enough.

I defer my turn to the first taker, if I'm allowed.
Landwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:38 AM   #36
John Smith
 
John Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Somewhere.
Default Re: Game: Guess the (historical) character!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landwalker View Post
Martial Arts is pretty clear that the cavalry of William's time wouldn't have used Lance (Early Medieval Knightly Mounted Combat)
Well. I'm pretty sure that the Norman knights were the first to use couched lances in a battle in 1066 (which made "big guy with big axe" heavy infantry useless), and by 1100 everyone was fighting like that, hence the cutoff date. It was a couched lance charge (once the Saxons'formations were broken) that routed Harold Godwinson's army at Hastings.
John Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:11 AM   #37
Landwalker
 
Landwalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Cumberland, ME
Default Re: Game: Guess the (historical) character!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
Well. I'm pretty sure that the Norman knights were the first to use couched lances in a battle in 1066 (which made "big guy with big axe" heavy infantry useless), and by 1100 everyone was fighting like that, hence the cutoff date. It was a couched lance charge (once the Saxons'formations were broken) that routed Harold Godwinson's army at Hastings.
Ah, interesting. I wonder what the motivation was for their depiction in the Bayeux Tapestry, then (though I do see one fellow who might be couching that spear).
Landwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:30 AM   #38
Figleaf23
Banned
 
Figleaf23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Default Re: Game: Guess the (historical) character!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landwalker View Post
That's William the Bastard (I mean, the Conqueror), of course. Wasn't aware that he was fat, and Martial Arts is pretty clear that the cavalry of William's time wouldn't have used Lance (Early Medieval Knightly Mounted Combat), but as soon as I saw his languages and Bad Temper, it was clear enough.

I defer my turn to the first taker, if I'm allowed.
Allow me ...

Admin Rank (2nd from the top)
Diplomacy ++
Philosophy (fnord) +
Reputation (a decent guy)
Administration ++
Quirk: Was sometimes called "#5"
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:44 AM   #39
Frosty
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: .
Default Re: Game: Guess the (historical) character!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landwalker View Post
That's William the Bastard (I mean, the Conqueror), of course. Wasn't aware that he was fat, and Martial Arts is pretty clear that the cavalry of William's time wouldn't have used Lance (Early Medieval Knightly Mounted Combat), but as soon as I saw his languages and Bad Temper, it was clear enough.

I defer my turn to the first taker, if I'm allowed.
Allow me ...

Admin Rank (2nd from the top)
Diplomacy ++
Philosophy (fnord) +
Reputation (a decent guy)
Administration ++
Quirk: Was sometimes called "#5"
Tech Level?
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:53 AM   #40
Purple Haze
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Default Re: Game: Guess the (historical) character!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
Well. I'm pretty sure that the Norman knights were the first to use couched lances in a battle in 1066 (which made "big guy with big axe" heavy infantry useless), and by 1100 everyone was fighting like that, hence the cutoff date. It was a couched lance charge (once the Saxons'formations were broken) that routed Harold Godwinson's army at Hastings.
The consensus among historians is that the very first use of couched lance was at Dyrrhachium in 1081, and only by some of the Normans present.

The Varangians (Saxons with big axes) charged and routed the Normans they faced (later they were contained by spearmen and slaughtered by crossbows).
Purple Haze is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
game, guess the character

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.