Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-05-2011, 02:32 PM   #1
b-dog

Default [DF] Elder Things and Black Magic

I am looking for some ideas for combining Elder Things and black magic. Elder Things are creatures more related to psionics than magic but in many of Lovecraft's tales people delve into black magic and then find out they are formed by Elder Things. I want to have some way for this to happen in my DF campaign so I am seeking ideas on this forum. What I want is for there to be evil wizards, demonologists and necromancers to search deeply into the darkest magics only to stumble upon spells that summon Elder Things and Elder Gods. The way I have my world set up is that there is are other dimensions where the Elder Things live which is outside the mundane DF material reality. There is also a spiritual reality that overlaps the mundane reality of the DF material world. In the spirit world moral forces can exist and beings that are truly good or evil can also exist like demons and angels. Mana is a sort of distilled spiritual essence that wizards use to power their spells. Magic is a way to harness spiritual energies and bind them so as to do work. But magic also can have an essence of good or evil. And I guess evil magic and mana is destructive spiritual essence so in a way it sort of resonates with the destructive chaos of Elder Things. So maybe the practice of evil magic is destructive to the spiritual order of the universe and by weakening the order of the universe it could possibly allow hyperdimensional vortexes a better chance of manifesting? Maybe the the practice of black magic by truly evil liches and wizards can over time allow more exposure to Elder Things and Things Beyond Space and Time? I guess I am sort of thinking that black magic not only destroys the moral force of good but it is also harmful to the very fabric of reality because it is against the will of the gods which are the creatures of the ordered universe. This is one way I was think that evil wizards, demonologists and necromancers could eventually come into contact with Elder Things. First the evil wizards learn nasty spells, then they create undead and summon demons but they still seek greater and greater power until finally they reach malign powers far beyond the evil gods and demonlords of men and of course end up insane or trying to summon such beings into ordered reality(which is also insane).

Maybe evil is a spiritual manifestation of the primal destructive chaos where the Elder Things came from? Although evil actually cares about harming other while Elder Things have no concern whatsoever about what they destroy.

In any case, I would like to have some ideas for how to have black magic casters eventually learn about Elder Things. If you have any ideas fel free to post. Thanks.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:44 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: [DF] Elder Things and Black Magic

Not sure I understand the question.
Are you looking for in game or roleplaying methods or mechanics?
Both seem obvious and your not new to GURPS so I do not think I understand the question.
If I were to do something like that I would think about the following.
Roleplaying or waht happens is simply fidning old books to research. Maybe with misleading titles and some powerful spells or bonuses that give a greedy mage reason to use them and over time dig up the summoning spells. Or gradually each use pulls on the universe in such a way as to make it easier for them to break through. Maybe even the book lets you tap into Threshold magic with its own Tally but the failures or damage summons Elder things.

From a mechanic point of view You can try Threshold or Corruption (from Horror) and thus its easy to do little things but increases the risk and greedy mages will summon Elder things and may not be prepared for the consequences.

Cosmology I like yours and deities and spirits will likely not be happy about people who summon these things.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:53 PM   #3
Ulzgoroth

In the Dresden Files, the things beyond the Outer Gates, which are the local cosmic horror types, are the source of the very blackest of black magic. Summoning and dealing with demons is dangerous and suspect, but permitted. Even trying to learn about the Outer Gates is grounds for decapitation.

Naturally, there's enormous amounts of power to be had by drawing from beyond the Gates, and doing so (let alone summoning Outsiders into reality) inherently weakens the Gates.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:10 AM   #4
aesir23

Fantasy, Thaumatology, and Horror all have similar rules to help you do what you want to do.

IDHMBWM, but in simple terms: you can get free energy in exchange for taking on Corruption that eventually turns into points in disadvantages.

It sounds like you want Black Magic to come with points in Hidden Lore (Elder Things) which comes at the price of Corruption.

Pick up GURPS Horror (and pause to gaze upon my name among the playtesters :) ) for the most flexible treatment of this issue.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote