Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2011, 03:36 PM   #1
naraht
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Default Getting rid of a bomb...

Congratulations, your party has just slain a Balseraph of Fire. The only problem is that he had a bomb with a timer and that timer has just reached one minute counting down. Figure that the bomb is powerful enough to wreck everything inside your local bank branch without doing permanent structural damage.

What techniques could used to keep the bomb from harming people and/or to reduce/eliminate Disturbance?

Three come to mind right off the bat.
1) I think a Kyrio of Jean who had possessed the bomb would be able to stop the timer especially if the timer was electronic.
2) Corporeal Motion with enough essence, straight up.
3) Scabbard space anyone? (Not sure if time passes in Scabbard space. If it doesn't go someplace like Death Valley and take it back out, if it does, what would the explosion do?

Any more spring to mind?
naraht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 03:41 PM   #2
Dalillama
 
Dalillama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Default Re: Getting rid of a bomb...

If you've got a Creationer around, Transubstantiation is another good one.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 03:56 PM   #3
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Longmont, CO
Default Re: Getting rid of a bomb...

Something similar actually happened in a campaign of mine, where a PC angel decided to pull out some Scabbarded C4 with a short timer in an attempt to blow up a Lust Tether. She did not know that one of the demons had Celestial Motion ... the bomb was teleported to an abandoned house used by local runaways, and had to be Transubstantiated fast by a Creationer on scene before it wreaked horrible damage.

"Some days, you just can't get rid of a bomb." -- Batman, as played by Adam West.
__________________
“It's not railroading if you offer the PCs tickets and they stampede to the box office, waving their money. Metaphorically speaking”
--Elizabeth McCoy, In Nomine Line Editor

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 04:17 PM   #4
Dalillama
 
Dalillama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Default Re: Getting rid of a bomb...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
Something similar actually happened in a campaign of mine, where a PC angel decided to pull out some Scabbarded C4 with a short timer in an attempt to blow up a Lust Tether. She did not know that one of the demons had Celestial Motion ... the bomb was teleported to an abandoned house used by local runaways, and had to be Transubstantiated fast by a Creationer on scene before it wreaked horrible damage.

"Some days, you just can't get rid of a bomb." -- Batman, as played by Adam West.
That was my first thought when he posted the question, yeah.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 06:35 PM   #5
robkelk
Untitled
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: between keyboard and chair
Default Re: Getting rid of a bomb...

Pick the bomb up, then change Vessels. The bomb counts as something carried and vanishes into potentiality with the Vessel.

Just remember that, when you switch back to that Vessel, you're carrying a bomb that's about to go off.

However, this does give you time to assemble a bomb-disposal team...
__________________
Rob Kelk
“Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.”
– Bernard Baruch,
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:10 PM   #6
Jason
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Default Re: Getting rid of a bomb...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
Pick the bomb up, then change Vessels. The bomb counts as something carried and vanishes into potentiality with the Vessel.

Just remember that, when you switch back to that Vessel, you're carrying a bomb that's about to go off.

However, this does give you time to assemble a bomb-disposal team...
This was my first reaction, but instead of "change vessels," I was thinking "go celestial." Once you're in celestial form, you can fly away to a safe distance (in the sky, underwater, whatever) and then go back into corporeal form. Granted, you're probably losing a vessel in the process, but I bet most Superiors would replace it for your selfless act.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:14 PM   #7
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Longmont, CO
Default Re: Getting rid of a bomb...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
This was my first reaction, but instead of "change vessels," I was thinking "go celestial." Once you're in celestial form, you can fly away to a safe distance (in the sky, underwater, whatever) and then go back into corporeal form. Granted, you're probably losing a vessel in the process, but I bet most Superiors would replace it for your selfless act.
And if you're a Malakite, it's all in a day's work anyway.

Another possibility for a Destiny angel might be to pick it up and use the Serendipity attunement, taking you and it wherever in the Symphony you're needed most. Just as long as where you're needed most isn't right here, defusing a bomb, that is.
__________________
“It's not railroading if you offer the PCs tickets and they stampede to the box office, waving their money. Metaphorically speaking”
--Elizabeth McCoy, In Nomine Line Editor

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:48 PM   #8
Jason
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Default Re: Getting rid of a bomb...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
Another possibility for a Destiny angel might be to pick it up and use the Serendipity attunement, taking you and it wherever in the Symphony you're needed most. Just as long as where you're needed most isn't right here, defusing a bomb, that is.
This made me laugh.

(Incidentally, someone actually used that attunement in the last game I ran, and it was REALLY hard to figure out where the heck to send her. If only she'd had a bomb, for which my answer is almost always going to be "underwater," "the middle of the desert," or "the moon.")
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:34 PM   #9
Omegonthesane
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Default Re: Getting rid of a bomb...

Corporeal Shields. Since the shield acts as a two-way barrier to all physical damage, the explosion will only affect things within the shield if the bomb is within the shield at detonation time. Of course, this necessitates throwing away a Vessel, being in celestial form when you use the Song, or being hilariously prepared to just take the resulting damage (it's actually pretty trivial for a warrior angel to have enough hitpoints that the damage that brings it down would kill a human ten times over, so I'd say the Corporeal heavy being able to survive being pointblanked with an IED is actually reasonable).

As per the opening vignette of the Corporeal Players Guide, this trick works on a tactical nuke let alone a sensible bomb.
Omegonthesane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:05 AM   #10
Whitelaughter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Default Re: Getting rid of a bomb...

If it's not doing structural damage, most angels could simply hug the bomb - a high level Vessel has more hits than a tank.

Haagentians also fight Fire, so the bomb could get Devoured.

Ofanites can leave at high speed, and still have time to drop the bomb.

--------------------------

Dream - CelMachines, and fall asleep. The bomb is now a relic, and follows the angel into the Marches. You've got CD hours to find a Nightmare target.

Stone - hug it and be invulnerable due to Stone vessel/Malakite invulnerability.

Fire - an explosion is technically fire, a Vassal could slow the explosion to a smoulder.

Wind - 'Swipe' the bomb for later disposal.

Lightning - use Remote Control to tell the bomb not to go off.

Animals - run away. Take any guide dogs present with you.

Sword - Scabbard

Trade - ring the person who sold the bomb to the Belialite and get the code.

War - already knew about the bomb via Malakite of War, so used it to kill the Belialite, inflicting dissonance on him.

Actually, that's a good point - you've the cooling body of a Belialite, stuff the bomb into it. Something that can have up to 144 body hits should muffle the explosion.

Flowers - use Ofanite of Flowers to move the bomb to a cave/underground stream touched by a tap root.

Destiny - nothing caps Synchronicity, but using Library Card or Akashic Record would give you the disarm code.
Whitelaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tips

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.