Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin Quest

Old 07-12-2011, 09:40 AM   #11
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: FAQ Update: what should we include?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComBAT View Post
No problem. Maybe I mis-paraphrased what I got out of this thread:
No, not at all -- I'm just saying that I don't like that answer anymore. I think it applies Munchkin logic to a Munchkin Quest issue.

So yes, this will appear in the FAQ for sure, and may even result in an erratum to a card or two.

Twitter: @SJGames || Facebook: SJ Games and Munchkin || Medium: @SJGames
Instagram: @stevejacksongames || YouTube: Steve Jackson Games

New Munchkin player? Visit our Munchkin 101 forum!
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:53 AM   #12
LordArach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
I actually don't like that answer one bit (even though I probably gave that answer at some point). I have a better idea: if the main combatant leaves a fight through some means OTHER than Running Away, the fight ends immediately and the helper just stays where he is.
Just for clarification... So that would append the text in the "Where'd Those Monsters Go?" section on page 8 where it says, "If at least one monster remains in the room, the combat continues," and, "If all the monsters, or all the munchkins, are removed from the room, the combat is over?"

The helper's combat would not begin until the beginning of his/her turn if he/she is still in the room?

Praise "Bob"!
LordArach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:57 AM   #13
ComBAT

I think it clearly states in the instruction manual, but die roll number modifiers on the rooms might be a good FAQ as to which die rolls actually add and subtract a die from. Since there are several types of dies and rolling situations, it could at least help any new players. I know in our first game we used them with run away attempts which is not correct.
Which die rolls do the room modifiers affect and not affect?
ComBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 04:16 AM   #14
Corinus

Some common questions that I encounter...

On the D10, does '0' mean zero or ten?
(Ten. I understand some MQ sets use a Munchkin icon instead of 0. But for those sets with a 0, it confuses a lot of players who have never played a D&D-style game before. MunckinMan says in the thread below that it should be clarified.)
http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=65642

"Cheat" card says it fulfills all requirements, including location. Does this include room locations for bonuses on items such as the Torch?
(No. "Location" in this case means location equipped on body, not room location. However, in most instances of MQ text, location normally means the room, which is where the confusion comes from.)

Definitely need to clarify that a D6 is used for searching. That one always comes up...
Corinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 06:56 AM   #15
MunchkinMan
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinus View Post
Some common questions that I encounter...

On the D10, does '0' mean zero or ten?
(Ten. I understand some MQ sets use a Munchkin icon instead of 0. But for those sets with a 0, it confuses a lot of players who have never played a D&D-style game before. MunckinMan says in the thread below that it should be clarified.)
http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=65642

"Cheat" card says it fulfills all requirements, including location. Does this include room locations for bonuses on items such as the Torch?
(No. "Location" in this case means location equipped on body, not room location. However, in most instances of MQ text, location normally means the room, which is where the confusion comes from.)

Definitely need to clarify that a D6 is used for searching. That one always comes up...
No MQ dice use the Munchkin head that I can recall...

Also, you should check out the latest PDF copy of the rules and pay attention to the search table.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 03:41 PM   #16
Corinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
Also, you should check out the latest PDF copy of the rules and pay attention to the search table.
These are not questions that I have, since I've already played the game many times. But they are frequent questions (and sources of confusion) that I've seen come up here on the forums, and also with my own experience when playing with other MQ game groups.

And I really don't get why the response to a suggested list for FAQs is to RTFM...
Corinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:30 AM   #17
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Corinus, you are correct that the question about search dice absolutely should be added to the FAQ. I think Erik was trying to say that we've updated the rules to include clearer statements of which dice to roll when searching, and players who have older printings might want to download the new rules in PDF so they have them for reference. (We also corrected an erratum or two, and revised the "Example of Play" so it explains things a bit more clearly.)

There aren't any MQ ten-siders that use the Munchkin head, though, so either someone threw some Munchkin Dice into his MQ set, or you're confusing them with the six-siders in the more recent printings.

Twitter: @SJGames || Facebook: SJ Games and Munchkin || Medium: @SJGames
Instagram: @stevejacksongames || YouTube: Steve Jackson Games

New Munchkin player? Visit our Munchkin 101 forum!
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 03:05 PM   #18
lola

These are the things I end up fighting with others over:

Use of Cheat card. Inevitably someone wants to use it in a scenerio that doesn't work (like using the everything-but-squid sword on something tentacled). And as previously posted, the "location" reference causes confusion. I ended up having to print one of these forum responses to keep in the box so people would believe me when I explained how the Cheat's use is really intended.

Meaning of "use at any time". No matter how many times I tell people that once dice are rolled in combat, it's over (unless they have a card that you really can use after like a Loaded Die or something), they don't get it. "But it says use at any time!" So they want to wait to see a roll outcome, then throw a potion or something like that. As if! I try to tell them they can go ahead and throw it (sure, it can be thrown "at any time"), but they're just throwing it away because the combat is already over. That doesn't always work.

This is related - and the rules explain it well already - but there's just always a debate about the timing of actions. For instance, someone exploring a new room, and then wanting to buy new items. I guess it would be helpful to have a foolproof timeline - when combat starts and ends, what is allowed and not allowed within it.

Oh, and we argue about "any die" not meaning the monster die or the d10.

Haha and it has also happened more than once that someone has been upset over the permanency of the Change gender card. So a written explanation of when a curse is permanent and cannot be changed would be helpful.

Anyway these are the things that come up the most for me.
lola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 04:26 PM   #19
MunchkinMan
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola View Post
Oh, and we argue about "any die" not meaning the monster die or the d10.
Which "any die" references are you talking about? You can use Loaded Die and Reloaded Die on any die roll, and that includes the d10 and the Monster die. . .
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:59 AM   #20
crimhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
Which "any die" references are you talking about? You can use Loaded Die and Reloaded Die on any die roll, and that includes the d10 and the Monster die. . .
I have a friend who insists you can use a reloaded die to replace a d6 result with a d10. He says you can re-roll "any die", but I insist if the d10 wasn't rolled initially it can't technically be rerolled. I'd love to see this in the FAQ.

I would also like to see clarification that Reversal Of Fortune applies to the final reading of the Kill-o-Meter. I didn't think that was clear from the K-o-M rules. This is cleared up in the regular Munchkin FAQ; maybe that whole section could just be copied?

Most of all I'd like to see the inclusion of the proposed optional rules
http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=73766
http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=73768

There was a third (limit one new room per turn) but I can't seem to find it.

Glad to hear there's a FAQ project, looking forward.
crimhead is offline   Reply With Quote