Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 06-24-2011, 10:54 PM   #11
Jason

Default Re: Looking For Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBloch2012 View Post
So, what happens if you were to, say, infiltrate the Celestial Realm, steal a Superior's Heart, and break it?

Sounds like an interesting plot for a campaign to me! :O
Uncharted territory to explore, I think! Personally, I'd make the sponsoring Superior behind that mission either someone very gutsy (e.g., Michael) or someone who would find it to be an appropriately hilarious death sentence for his Servitors (e.g., Kobal).
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 01:37 AM   #12
Acolyte

I can't remember where I read it (it's decidedly not my own idea), but by far my favorite idea for Lucifer's Word was "Me" in opposition to God's Word, "I AM".
Old 06-25-2011, 09:54 AM   #13
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acolyte View Post
I can't remember where I read it (it's decidedly not my own idea), but by far my favorite idea for Lucifer's Word was "Me" in opposition to God's Word, "I AM".
That's interesting; I would've thought God's Word would be "the Word" (see John 1:1). If God wanted to set Lucifer up as an actual opposite, maybe his Word would be ... "the Interruption"? :)

Also, among the myriad of other suggestions I gave, I neglected to mention that God may have reversed Lucifer's Word from Light to Darkness, recognizing that the Symphony needed balance...
Old 06-25-2011, 11:05 AM   #14
Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
That's interesting; I would've thought God's Word would be "the Word" (see John 1:1). If God wanted to set Lucifer up as an actual opposite, maybe his Word would be ... "the Interruption"? :)

Also, among the myriad of other suggestions I gave, I neglected to mention that God may have reversed Lucifer's Word from Light to Darkness, recognizing that the Symphony needed balance...
Logos as God is a common Western concept, you're right. "the Word" is a pretty good Word for God, although in that case I'd cast Lucifer's Word as "My Words" instead of "the Interruption". I still like I AM/Me better, but it's good.

One potential view is that Lucifer's word is STILL Light, with the metaphorical twist that he's exposing and illuminating the dark side of the Symphony.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:49 PM   #15
DBloch2012

Oh, I think I figured out why my idea of the Symphony is a little off. I am taking inspiration from the movie Constantine and its portrayal of a "Balance" between Heaven and Hell. In my mind, and in any games I may or may not run in the future, a lot of Celestial beings will be uneasy with messing with the Symphony (possibly with Demons being less uneasy than Angels).

P.S. Now that I think about it, Lucifer possessing a human female to have a half-Celestial child also sounds like a really cool campaign plot.

P.P.S. Also, what if a human wanted to attune himself to a Superior? Could a Geas be involved that gives him an attunement? Would he need to cut out his own Heart to give to the Superior (possibly in payment for the Geas)? I think I have too many ideas.

Last edited by DBloch2012; 10-10-2012 at 07:55 PM.
DBloch2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:24 PM   #16
Dalillama

Quote:
Oh, I think I figured out why my idea of the Symphony is a little off. I am taking inspiration from the movie Constantine and its portrayal of a "Balance" between Heaven and Hell. In my mind, and in any games I may or may not run in the future, a lot of Celestial beings will be uneasy with messing with the Symphony (possibly with Demons being less uneasy than Angels).
Having never seen the movie I can't speak to it, but the idea that Celestials are reluctant to mess with the symphony is in IN in the form of Disturbance. Anytime you do something miraculous, you create Disturbance that can alert adversaries to your presence, and interfere with the formation of Tethers (Yours and the other side's).
Quote:
P.P.S. Also, what if a human wanted to attune himself to a Superior? Could a Geas be involved that gives him an attunement? Would he need to cut out his own Heart to give to the Superior (possibly in payment for the Geas)? I think I have too many ideas.
In fact, per the CPG, Symphonically aware humans can receive Superior Attunements from any Superior willing to give them (Laurence's Attunements are available to any Soldier of God.). Choir/Band Attunements are only available to humans who have had a Force from a Celestial of the appropriate type grafted on to them.Any Superior can do this, but most won't; Angelic Superiors aren't willing to dismantle their Servitors for this purpose, and Demonic Superiors are rarely wiling to go to those lengths for a talking monkey.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:22 AM   #17
Andygal

although occasionally an angel will willingly offer to donate a Force to a human that they like and Demon Princes sometimes toss Forces from Servitors they were dismantling anyway onto the "pile" of Forces available to demons performing Oathtaking on new Soldiers of Hell, so it does happen.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:03 PM   #18
DBloch2012

I am still looking for a game to join. It doesn't necessarily have to be on these forums, either.

Last edited by DBloch2012; 10-10-2012 at 07:56 PM.
DBloch2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 03:41 PM   #19
Jason

Quote:
I am still looking for a game to join. It doesn't necessarily have to be on these forums, either.
No luck setting anything up in your local community? In my group of friends, folks are so reluctant to GM (mostly due to an unfounded fear of inability to run a "good story") that whoever volunteers to GM something basically gets to choose the game. I've also been surprised to find how many of my friends and friends-of-friends are interested in trying out RPGs they've never played before, so I now have more In Nomine players around here than I know what to do with. (Two one-shots for separate groups of newbies this month!) Once you get some folks into it, you may even be able to sucker some of them into GMing some one-shots so you get a chance to play too. It worked for me!
Old 06-26-2011, 04:20 PM   #20
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Regarding games: http://in-a-nutshell.dreamwidth.org/profile may be of use to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
I was surprised to read at least one instance of a Superior being described as having a Heart (in the possibly apocryphal story of how [Valefor] stole Genubath's Word by swallowing his Heart,
Superior Hearts are very much CDaU. One popular theory is that a Superior's Heart becomes an Archangel's Cathedral, and thus presumably would be the nucleus of a Prince's Principality.

But it's very much CDaU.

Tags
meta