Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-26-2011, 07:48 PM   #11
Kalzazz

Default Re: [MH]Comando's with Imbuments

Doesn't the Mystic Knight use DX based magical imbue?
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:16 PM   #12
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
Yep. A oddity that, I'll have to ask Kuroshima next time I talk to him. I was just pointing out that it is usually IQ for psi-based imbuements.

Ghostdancer

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:48 PM   #13
PK

Making Imbue into a Magical or Psionic ability doesn't force the skills over to IQ. It's an option -- one that may or may not make sense, depending on the character concept and how the campaign treats Imbuements.

You can have Magical Imbuement Skills based on DX, or you can have them based on IQ. Hell, there's no reason you can't have normal Imbuement Skills based on IQ instead of DX. As long as you're applying it consistently, you're good.

From Imbuement Skills, p. 4: "All are DX/VH, although the GM is welcome to make them IQ/VH if that would better suit the power source of Imbue."

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:54 PM   #14
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
Making Imbue into a Magical or Psionic ability doesn't force the skills over to IQ. It's an option -- one that may or may not make sense, depending on the character concept and how the campaign treats Imbuements.

You can have Magical Imbuement Skills based on DX, or you can have them based on IQ. Hell, there's no reason you can't have normal Imbuement Skills based on IQ instead of DX. As long as you're applying it consistently, you're good.

From Imbuement Skills, p. 4: "All are DX/VH, although the GM is welcome to make them IQ/VH if that would better suit the power source of Imbue."
Well there you go :) I thought that was a hard and fast rule for some reason. I retract my previous statement.

Ghostdancer

Edit: I know why my eyes sort of glazed over that part, it seemed to be summed up on that page.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!

Last edited by Christopher R. Rice; 05-26-2011 at 09:59 PM.
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:34 AM   #15
vitruvian

This seems more like an option for the Crusader than the Commando, really. Able to make your bullets affect ghosts? Able to make any hand weapon holy? Yeah, that fits.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:30 AM   #16
mlangsdorf

In my game, selected Imbuments are options for Crusaders, Outcast Angels, Demons, and Psis. Outcast Angels should be able to wield flaming swords; demons should have spontaneously poisoned claws, and I'm okay with Psis guiding shots with their minds.
mlangsdorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:07 PM   #17
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Yep. A oddity that, I'll have to ask Kuroshima next time I talk to him. I was just pointing out that it is usually IQ for psi-based imbuements.

Ghostdancer
Yeah, the Mystic Knight uses magic based, DX based Imbuement Skills, and it's intentional. The goal was to get the concept to work on 250 points, and for that, given the penalties that Imbuement Skills face, depending on all 4 stats was overkill (ST for damage and effect on the imbuements, DX to hit with the attack, IQ for the actual imbuement skills, and HT for the FP points to power them). Also, I envison the mystic knight's Imbuement Skills as more a question of precise movements than they're of shaping magic with focused will and established ritual. Note that wizard-mystic knights use IQ based Imbuement Skills since they're extending what they know of magic into imbuements (and magery replaces Eldritch Talent).

If you check the meager fluff I included, you'll see that I use some weak arguments to justify it ;) (it was my first article, and some parts of it still make be blush with shame, if I was writting it today, I would do some things differently)
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:25 PM   #18
zoncxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
If you check the meager fluff I included, you'll see that I use some weak arguments to justify it ;) (it was my first article, and some parts of it still make be blush with shame, if I was writting it today, I would do some things differently)
I second you writing more stuff for imbuements >.o

its my favorite line for gurps since it does what I want to do.
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
imbuements, monster hunters