Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-19-2011, 06:40 AM   #21
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)
Default Re: Overkill on a Mozambique drill

In 3rd ed, IIRC (though it might have been one of the multiple house rules my GM used back then ), there was an instantaneous HT roll to maintain consciousness when you dropped into negative HP. In 4th edition, it is no more. You only need to check if you pick a maneuver other than do nothing.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:49 AM   #22
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verjigorm View Post
Also, if you use the optional rules from High Tech for bullet injuries, you can't do more than HP damage to the torso. So two shots to the torso won't reliably put someone down fast enough. Popping their brain pan will.
Even if you shoot torso rather than vitals, almost a third of the time at least one of your bullets will hit vitals anyway.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:55 AM   #23
Verjigorm

Location: Charlotte, North Caroline, United States of America, Earth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Even if you shoot torso rather than vitals, almost a third of the time at least one of your bullets will hit vitals anyway.
Well, it's a 1 in 6 chance, and even if you count for two shots, the majority of your shots will not hit the vitals.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:47 AM   #24
jacobmuller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
This is a case of GURPS not precisely modeling reality, but the rules-correct implementation is:
Hit 1: reduces HP to -18. 1 death check (for passing -12)
Hit 2: reduces HP to -42. 2 death checks (for passing -24 and -36)
Hit 3: reduces HP to -98. Automatic death.

Of course, the Mozambique drill isn't really designed for pistols with the lethality of battle rifles.
Right, three death checks it is, then. Thank you, all.

re battle-rifle pistols: I know what you mean, and the example is the compact, ie concealable, service automatic, and I stepped back from #^ pistols (which actually worked out really well in terms of the feel I wanted for weapon lethality, legality issues, and body armour: anyone can own a pistol proof t-shirt but only federales can own weapons powerful enough to easily counter it.

Also good to know the officer will be totally in the clear - not his fault if a trained reflex response to a lethal threat results in death as opposed to incapacitation (which covers the immediately preceding shooting where two rounds to the abdomen proved fatal).

Muy gracias, companeros. Grosse dankes, kammerades. Domo arigato gozaimas, senseisan. Mercy buckets, even, me old cocks!
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:53 AM   #25
Phoenix_Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf View Post
I've seen this happen in play: Foe A is active, goes below 0 HP with a major wound and is stunned, passed the first HT check versus unconsciousness on their turn and then Does Nothing, and proceeds to fail the HT checks to recover from stun for several turns.

There are plenty of real life examples of people being incapacitated but conscious while they bleed out. I don't really consider this a Murphy.
Further, failing an "unconsciousness" roll might not mean that they're really unconscious, but might be semi-conscious but completely out of it because of pain, or otherwise unable to act correctly. Could well have a slow progression from stunned (Largely out of it, but able to defend, even though at a penalty) to even more out of it (Largely the same, but unable to defend), and eventually true unconsciousness.
Phoenix_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:59 AM   #26
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Also, remember that failing a daeth check by 1 or 2 doesn't result in actual death, but in a mortal wound, allowing for emergency measures to save the victim.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:02 AM   #27
jacobmuller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
You make consciousness checks on your turn unless you Do Nothing. AFAICT you never have to roll them otherwise.
Ooh, another HT check to check - I thought that bit on B419
Quote:
Success means you can act normally, but must roll again every turn to continue functioning. Exception: If you choose Do Nothing
meant you must roll on your first turn after being wounded but get the option to Do Nothing on following turns...
Old 02-19-2011, 09:01 AM   #28
Dinadon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobmuller View Post
Ooh, another HT check to check - I thought that bit on B419 meant you must roll on your first turn after being wounded but get the option to Do Nothing on following turns...
Read a little further on and it says to only roll on turns where do something other than Do Nothing.
Dinadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:25 AM   #29
jacobmuller

Yes, it's the placement of the Exception that throws me.
If it were
Quote:
make a HT roll at the start of your next turn, at -1 per full multiple of HP below zero. Exception: If you choose Do Nothing on your turn,
Then it would be painfully obvious.
The exception, however, occurs after
Quote:
must roll again every turn
I emphasize the again as being the pertinent wobbly bit of my logic. The again, to my mind, means you've already had to roll; then you get the exception paragraph apparently appended to the again phrase.

Hang on, I'm just going to kill a pair of very noisy dogs:)
Old 02-19-2011, 09:59 AM   #30
jacobmuller

post mortus canem:)

IMHO if a character gets hurt badly, it needs a successful a HT check on that character's next turn for it to stay conscious and, in subsequent turns, they can either keep checking in order to keep active or opt to do nothing.

But, as I've said above, my logic is due to the Exception being after the again-every-turn phrase, hence, I wonder if I place too much emphasis on the placement?

PS for dog/animal lovers: kill = exhausted by Kong, stairs, fetch...

Last edited by jacobmuller; 02-20-2011 at 01:52 AM.

Tags
basic, combat, death, tactical shooting