Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2011, 04:26 AM   #101
Ultraviolet
 
Ultraviolet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Århus, Denmark
Default Re: Overkill on a Mozambique drill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
The instant you're injured to 0 HP or less: No matter what maneuver you selected before being injured, you must roll vs. HT to avoid unconsciousness. Do Nothing – as a choice on that turn or as a consequence of something else – is beside the point.

Turns after you're injured to 0 HP or less: If you select any maneuver but Do Nothing, you must roll vs. HT to avoid unconsciousness before you take action. If you select Do Nothing – as a choice on that turn or as a consequence of something else – you do not have to roll but of course have no action to take.

That is, my clarification was of the two offending sentences. The Do Nothing exception isn't in either of them, and works as it always did: It lets you avoid a HT roll. But that's neither here nor there in what I was trying to clarify. The whole rule would be:
0 HP or less – You are in immediate danger of collapse. In addition to the above effects, make an immediate HT roll, at -1 per full multiple of HP below zero. Failure means you fall unconscious (or simply stop working, if you weren’t truly alive or conscious in the first place); see Recovering from Unconsciousness (p. 423). Success means you can act normally, but must roll again at the start of every turn to continue functioning. Exception: If you choose Do Nothing on your turn, and do not attempt any defense rolls, you can remain conscious without rolling. Roll only on turns during which you attempt a defense roll or choose a maneuver other than Do Nothing.
Right. Supposing the guy at or below 0 HP chooses No Nothing and thus avoids having to roll HT gets attacked by an enemy after he made this choice.
Does this mean the dude can't try a Dodge? Because he would then have had to call another manoeuvre and thus roll HT?
Or does it mean that he *may* Dodge, but must make the HT roll before doing it?
__________________
Playing GURPS since '90, is now fluent in 4th ed as well.
Ultraviolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:27 AM   #102
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Default Re: Overkill on a Mozambique drill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraviolet View Post
Right. Supposing the guy at or below 0 HP chooses No Nothing and thus avoids having to roll HT gets attacked by an enemy after he made this choice.
Does this mean the dude can't try a Dodge? Because he would then have had to call another manoeuvre and thus roll HT?
Or does it mean that he *may* Dodge, but must make the HT roll before doing it?
As I understand it, you can still choose to dodge.
Dragondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:55 AM   #103
jacobmuller
 
jacobmuller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Not in your time zone:D
Default Re: Overkill on a Mozambique drill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraviolet View Post
Right. Supposing the guy at or below 0 HP chooses No Nothing and thus avoids having to roll HT gets attacked by an enemy after he made this choice.
Does this mean the dude can't try a Dodge? Because he would then have had to call another manoeuvre and thus roll HT?
Or does it mean that he *may* Dodge, but must make the HT roll before doing it?
If he wants to Dodge, he has to pass the HT check. His Dodge is halved due to being below 1/3 HP but he gets to choose: risk passing out in the vague hope of not being hit or just take it and hope to survive.
Ever seen someone just curl up in a ball and take a kicking? I guess that's the Do Nothing option.
__________________
"Sanity is a bourgeois meme." Exegeek
PS sorry I'm a Parthian shootist: shiftwork + out of = not here when you are:/
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:54 PM   #104
cmdicely
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default Re: Overkill on a Mozambique drill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraviolet View Post
Right. Supposing the guy at or below 0 HP chooses No Nothing and thus avoids having to roll HT gets attacked by an enemy after he made this choice.
Does this mean the dude can't try a Dodge? Because he would then have had to call another manoeuvre and thus roll HT?
Or does it mean that he *may* Dodge, but must make the HT roll before doing it?
EDIT: As noted in the comments below, the rest of this post is completely wrong.

Neither. The Do Nothing maneuver allows normal active defense (see p. B364), so he may Dodge, and need not make an HT roll to avoid unconsciousness when he does so. Of course, his Dodge is halved (since if he is below zero HP, he's also below 1/3 of full HP), so the Dodge may not be very effective, but the option is still there.

Last edited by cmdicely; 02-26-2011 at 01:57 PM.
cmdicely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:05 PM   #105
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Default Re: Overkill on a Mozambique drill

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdicely View Post
Neither. The Do Nothing maneuver allows normal active defense (see p. B364), so he may Dodge, and need not make an HT roll to avoid unconsciousness when he does so. Of course, his Dodge is halved (since if he is below zero HP, he's also below 1/3 of full HP), so the Dodge may not be very effective, but the option is still there.
Even though Do Nothing allows Dodge, having less than 0HP specifically state that if you take an active defense, you have to make a HT roll.
Dragondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:51 PM   #106
cmdicely
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default Re: Overkill on a Mozambique drill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragondog View Post
Even though Do Nothing allows Dodge, having less than 0HP specifically state that if you take an active defense, you have to make a HT roll.
Yeah, I'm an idiot.

Its sort of odd the way that's written, since it says you roll at the start of the turn, but only on turns where (leaving aside maneuver selection) you don't roll active defense (maneuver selection happens at the start of the turn, so isn't a problem, active defense happens later, which makes it problematic.) Its been a while since it has come up in play, but I think the most reasonable interpretation of the rule is to roll the HT roll immediately before the active defense roll.
cmdicely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 01:37 PM   #107
Garion
 
Garion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Northern (and I mean Northern, not freakin' Albany!) New york
Default Re: Overkill on a Mozambique drill

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but is this documented in an FAQ or in the errata?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
The instant you're injured to 0 HP or less: No matter what maneuver you selected before being injured, you must roll vs. HT to avoid unconsciousness. Do Nothing – as a choice on that turn or as a consequence of something else – is beside the point.

Turns after you're injured to 0 HP or less: If you select any maneuver but Do Nothing, you must roll vs. HT to avoid unconsciousness before you take action. If you select Do Nothing – as a choice on that turn or as a consequence of something else – you do not have to roll but of course have no action to take.

That is, my clarification was of the two offending sentences. The Do Nothing exception isn't in either of them, and works as it always did: It lets you avoid a HT roll. But that's neither here nor there in what I was trying to clarify. The whole rule would be:
0 HP or less – You are in immediate danger of collapse. In addition to the above effects, make an immediate HT roll, at -1 per full multiple of HP below zero. Failure means you fall unconscious (or simply stop working, if you weren’t truly alive or conscious in the first place); see Recovering from Unconsciousness (p. 423). Success means you can act normally, but must roll again at the start of every turn to continue functioning. Exception: If you choose Do Nothing on your turn, and do not attempt any defense rolls, you can remain conscious without rolling. Roll only on turns during which you attempt a defense roll or choose a maneuver other than Do Nothing.
__________________
Why me?
Garion is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
basic, combat, death, tactical shooting

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.