Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2011, 01:44 PM   #1
earthbounddx
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Default "Items" in your hand.

I believe the official ruling is that items are only items when they're in front of you; cards in your hand or only that - cards.

The discrepancy comes with the fact that to gain levels you can sell items worth 1000g or more, including "items in your hand."

However, does this still apply to anything involving worth?

For example, if you're required to pay Income Tax, which specifically says to discard items, not cards, worth that specified amount. Or, another example, you have the Dungeon Casino which needs 500g worth of items discarded to activate. Can you throw out potions and other cards with worth out of your hand to feed these types of cards, or ONLY actual items out in front of you?

What it boils down to: is the worth on cards in your hand only good for selling towards a level?
earthbounddx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:11 PM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor
 
Andrew Hackard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Default Re: "Items" in your hand.

The rule about selling Items from your hand is an explicit exception to the usual definition of Items (cards in play that have a Gold Piece value printed on the card).
__________________
Andrew Hackard || Munchkin Line Editor, Steve Jackson Games

Twitter: @SJGames || Facebook: SJ Games and Munchkin || Medium: @SJGames
Instagram: @stevejacksongames || YouTube: Steve Jackson Games

New Munchkin player? Visit our Munchkin 101 forum!
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:21 PM   #3
earthbounddx
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Default Re: "Items" in your hand.

Excellent. So the cards with worth held in the hand can only be used monetarily for selling towards a level. Thanks for clearing that up!
earthbounddx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:16 PM   #4
d-vils_wingman
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Default Re: "Items" in your hand.

What about the items/potions in your hand that say "usable only once" which also have a gold piece value?
d-vils_wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:34 PM   #5
MunchkinMan
Super Moderator
 
MunchkinMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Macungie, PA
Default Re: "Items" in your hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-vils_wingman View Post
What about the items/potions in your hand that say "usable only once" which also have a gold piece value?
What, specifically, are you asking about with respect to these cards?
__________________
Erik D. Zane
Munchkin NetRep -- munchkin@sjgames.com
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:46 PM   #6
d-vils_wingman
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Default Re: "Items" in your hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthbounddx View Post
Excellent. So the cards with worth held in the hand can only be used monetarily for selling towards a level. Thanks for clearing that up!
I was referencing the immediately prior reply. The one-shot items in hand that have gold piece value. From the posts so far, it seemed to me it was being said that those cards (one-shot items) are only good for selling and not for playing from your hand, as in someone else's combat to enhance a monster's or munchkin's combat strength.
d-vils_wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:53 PM   #7
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor
 
Andrew Hackard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Default Re: "Items" in your hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-vils_wingman View Post
I was referencing the immediately prior reply. The one-shot items in hand that have gold piece value. From the posts so far, it seemed to me it was being said that those cards (one-shot items) are only good for selling and not for playing from your hand, as in someone else's combat to enhance a monster's or munchkin's combat strength.
If that was being said, it was not being said by Erik or me, because that would be very, very, wrong. I think a previous poster took a specific statement about a specific circumstance and inferred a general rule.

So, to be clear:

* Cards in your hand are not Items, because the rules say Items are cards in play.
* The rules allow you to sell cards with a printed Gold Piece value, whether they are in play or in your hand.
* The rules also allow you to play cards representing one-shot Items from the table or from your hand.
* Any card targeting Items, however, must target the Items on the table unless it explicitly mentions Items (or other cards) in your hand in the card text. (In fact, this is true for ANY effect that targets a player -- cards in the hand are immune unless specifically mentioned.)
__________________
Andrew Hackard || Munchkin Line Editor, Steve Jackson Games

Twitter: @SJGames || Facebook: SJ Games and Munchkin || Medium: @SJGames
Instagram: @stevejacksongames || YouTube: Steve Jackson Games

New Munchkin player? Visit our Munchkin 101 forum!

Last edited by Andrew Hackard; 02-15-2011 at 07:56 PM.
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:50 PM   #8
MunchkinMan
Super Moderator
 
MunchkinMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Macungie, PA
Default Re: "Items" in your hand.

I think one very important thing to remember is that the rules do not allow you to play new Item cards to the table (where they become Items) when it's not your turn and when it is your turn, but you are in combat. One-shot Items specifically and intentionally break those rules under the appropriate conditions, so they can be played to become Items at those times. Nothing I say should ever be taken to invalidate that, and I know I'm usually very careful to cover all my bases, but if it happens, hopefully someone will catch it before it does too much damage.

I will note that what earthboundx did qualify his comment, in a way, with the word "monetarily," meaning, to me at least, that he was referring to a situation where something required you to discard 500 GP of Items and you only had a 200 GP Item in play while holding several Item cards in your hand. Under that circumstance, you're not required to discard the cards in your hand to make up the difference unless the effect causing you to discard said otherwise.
__________________
Erik D. Zane
Munchkin NetRep -- munchkin@sjgames.com
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:00 AM   #9
earthbounddx
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Default Re: "Items" in your hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
I will note that what earthboundx did qualify his comment, in a way, with the word "monetarily," meaning, to me at least, that he was referring to a situation where something required you to discard 500 GP of Items and you only had a 200 GP Item in play while holding several Item cards in your hand. Under that circumstance, you're not required to discard the cards in your hand to make up the difference unless the effect causing you to discard said otherwise.
That was indeed what I meant, sorry for the confusion.

In regards to the bolded "not required", my initial post was also clarifying that not only are you not forced to discard those cards to feed a gold piece requirement but also that you cannot use them, even willingly, to protect items you have in play from being discarded or to prevent a level loss through inability to pay (e.g. Income Tax) or to meet a requirement to play a card (e.g. Dungeon Casino).
earthbounddx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:05 AM   #10
MunchkinMan
Super Moderator
 
MunchkinMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Macungie, PA
Default Re: "Items" in your hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthbounddx View Post
In regards to the bolded "not required", my initial post was also clarifying that not only are you not forced to discard those cards to feed a gold piece requirement but also that you cannot use them, even willingly, to protect items you have in play from being discarded or to prevent a level loss through inability to pay (e.g. Income Tax) or to meet a requirement to play a card (e.g. Dungeon Casino).
That is also correct, but I'll put some official blessing on that lest anyone think you're wrong in that assessment.
__________________
Erik D. Zane
Munchkin NetRep -- munchkin@sjgames.com
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
hand, selling

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.