Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 01-10-2011, 05:10 PM   #31
Tyneras

Default Re: The British Warehouse 23

To hazard a guess as to why they might have a few scraps of mundane memorabilia, it could have been evidence from an investigation that was never returned (or replaced with fakes).
Old 01-10-2011, 05:24 PM   #32
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Rancke-Madsen View Post
Not that I don't appreciate the references to some of my favorite characters like Bertie Wooster and Willie Garvin, but isn't "Warehouse X" supposed to deal with weird science and eldritch horror and such? I can think of no reason why something with only historical or sentimental value would be given room in such a repository.
This is a bit of a stretch, and possibly subverts the concept, but they could be from a parallel universe in which Bertie Wooster and the Drones Club actually exist, brought back as evidence thereof.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:26 PM   #33
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyneras View Post
To hazard a guess as to why they might have a few scraps of mundane memorabilia, it could have been evidence from an investigation that was never returned (or replaced with fakes).
Or they could have been scooped up with the really dangerous items when the retrieval team was in a hurry... which begs the question, "what else from this place and time did they grab, and can we find it if we look hard enough?"

(For example, if the PCs find those "Number 2" badges I mentioned earlier, will they go looking for Rover, or Saltzmann's mind-swapper, or the instructions to perform Degree Absolute, or anything else from The Village?)
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:55 PM   #34
Ed the Coastie

An old newspaper clipping regarding the mysterious disappearance of one Theodore Nemor.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:59 PM   #35
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed the Coastie View Post
An old newspaper clipping regarding the mysterious disappearance of one Theodore Nemor.
You'd think the Machine itself would be the Warehousable item, not some old newspapers.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:42 PM   #36
Ed the Coastie

Probably...but I need to hook the PCs somehow.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:37 AM   #37
Cernig

Some Scots and Irish entries:

A large black stone with two iron carrying rings, one at each end. The stone is covered with swirling pictographs. The card by it says: "Original. Only to be removed from warehouse at sovereign need. Do not use either extant fake".

A leather bag drawn closed by a knot of thick iron wire, with the tooled enscription "Michael Scott, Esq." on the side alongside depictions of winds blowing.

An alabaster scroll case, containing a lambskin scroll in coded Latin, sits next to a picture of the interior of Rosslyn Chapel, with an X marked in red on the Apprentice Pillar, near the top. The scroll's contents, by their layout, have the appearance of a geneology of some kind.

A barbed spear, a paleontologist would recognise that it is made from the main flipper/thigh bone of a plesiosaurus.

Another spear, this one wrapped about with leather rope to keep the head permanently immersed in a steel vat of what a pharmacist might realize is liquid opium.

A small silk flag, about 18 inches square, of a yellow/brown color and spotted with red dots
Cernig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:27 AM   #38
sgtcallistan

A classified 'above top secret' file containing the locations of a number of hidden bunkers in the British Isles.

Officially listed as the ROTOR system, part of ADGB (Air Defence Great Britain), built between 1945 and 1955 at great expense, and disused since 1962, they are now the remaining dispersed out-stations of the most secure location in the country (Brit Warehouse 23).

One, still marked on the map as RAF Fauld, is currently a crater about two miles across...

This above could act as an introduction / seed for a 'Brit. W23' campaign.

A little research can turn up real-world locations to use as part of this, paraleling the use of old airfields and army bases in the TV shows of the 1960's, as in the OP, such as the Avengers.
It would be fun if one could be found near Portmerion, Wales...

Last edited by sgtcallistan; 01-11-2011 at 08:29 AM. Reason: speling
sgtcallistan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:12 AM   #39
quarkstomper

Quote:
Iwas just saying that I find it much less plausible that Willie Garvin's knives or an 18th Century silver cow-creamer would be of interest to the shadowy owners of a Warehouse Umpteen.
Point taken. But Bertie has always described Uncle Tom's Fabled Cow Creamer with such revulsion, that I've always suspected it was connected somehow with cultists for use in rituals featuring Unspeakable Gods. But as you say, that would be adding my own whimsey to the source material.

I think I'd be somewhat more justified by including the Club Book of the Junior Ganymede Club in the collection. Although most of the secrets contained therein are of a more mundane variety, nearly all fall under the category of Things Man Was Not Meant to Know.

Quote:
... or a monocle that is actually a strong magnifying glass.
Dang! I was trying to come up with something for Lord Peter but was drawing a blank. But as you say, nothing particularly weird or special about it, or about his custom walking-stick with the concealed sword (which I don't think he ever used), the compass in the head (which he left home on the one occasion it would have come in handy) and the shaft marked out in inches for measuring the length of footprints.
quarkstomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:44 PM   #40
Spudzill

I have two more:
1. A small calling card with the words "Carry On" printed on it. When picked up it causes all humans within 20 hex radius to have the Lecherous disadvantage. The effect ends when the card is discarded or put down.
2. A block of Ice with an Edwardian Gentleman in Evening Dress inside.

Tags
britain, british, conspiracy, warehouse 23