Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 12-24-2010, 07:03 AM   #1
ScaredofScissors

Default Game Ownership

So who actually "owns" IN? I assume it's still Croc, though he doesn't produce the game anymore AFAIK. How much longer does SJGames have licensing rights?
ScaredofScissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 07:18 AM   #2
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Default Re: Game Ownership

Archangel Beth is probably the best person to answer this, but my understanding is that SJG has the rights to the American version more or less in perpetuity. (Or as long as the copyright lasts, anyway.) The situation might have been different if it had been a straight-up translation, but my understanding is that there are significant differences between the French MV/INS and the American IN, to the point where they're more or less two different games that share some names and imagery.

(I asked something like this about a year or two ago, since I was concerned that the slow pace of new supplements was due to a license expiring. I was very relieved by the answer I got then.)

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 07:37 PM   #3
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Unless I've hopped timelines (it's been known to happen!), Rocket Man is correct -- the license for the adaptive work, In Nomine, isn't expiring anytime soon. I believe that we do not have a license for a direct translation of anything else that Croc made for INS/MV, so we couldn't pull over the various adventures and such for it -- but they don't really fit "IN/SJG" very well, most times, anyway.

Any particular reason, or just curious? O:>
Old 12-26-2010, 08:39 AM   #4
robkelk
Untitled

Blue-sky idea, and I probably can't afford to do it anyway (but it never hurts to ask...) Does SJGames have the right to award sublicenses for IN products?

Yes, I know there are extremely few licensed works for SJGames products, but successfully sublicensing the line could speed up release of the Superiors books - if quality-control can be kept in place. (That's the part I'm most worried about, after the cost of the sublicense itself.)
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:16 AM   #5
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

I don't know if there's any sub-licensing allowed. I am strongly suspicious that there is not. Or else I might be inclined to be asking some questions about that m'self. *grin*
Old 12-27-2010, 10:30 AM   #6
ScaredofScissors

Mostly idle curiosity unless I win the lottery. I merely thought it might be fun, since Asmodee isn't publishing the original anymore, to see a supplement using some of its stuff.

Also, I'm interested in seeing Emily Dresner's Fate adaptation expanded.
ScaredofScissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:30 AM   #7
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Ahhh. We really can't snaffle any of Asmodee's stuff, far as I know. That's theirs.

Doing official Fate adaptations might require getting permissions from the Fate developers -- I did a quick look and didn't find whether it's OGL or not. (And then there'd be whether Em's even interested in doing the work.)
Old 12-28-2010, 10:30 AM   #8
Elberon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel Beth View Post
Ahhh. We really can't snaffle any of Asmodee's stuff, far as I know. That's theirs.

Doing official Fate adaptations might require getting permissions from the Fate developers -- I did a quick look and didn't find whether it's OGL or not. (And then there'd be whether Em's even interested in doing the work.)
Fate 2.0 is OGL " Fate is available under the Open Gaming License!" taken from here: http://www.faterpg.com/dl/.

I don't know about Fate 3, the chaps at Evil Hat are writing it as part of their post Dresden Files RPG schedule.

Not that I'm, you know, encourage the creation of a Fate version of In Nomine.... <Still need to get my head around In Nomi-Way conversion>

Chris
Elberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 01:16 PM   #9
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Fate 3rd ed (The one in The Dresden Files RPG) is OGL, and so are the derivatives (Legends of Anglerre, Strands of Fate, etc etc). Of course, some parts are Product Identity.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:19 PM   #10
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Far be it from me to discourage anything that encourages people to buy the existing materials. O;> (I would, of course, be a bit unhappy at something that discouraged people to buy the existing materials!)

Edit: I do note, this is "within reason" -- no matter how many sales certain things might generate, if if takes extreme liberties with copyright (the right of the IP owner to control how things are copied and distributed), it should be passed by SJ first. Of course, if it was obviously going to generate lots of sales, I suspect he'd be interested. *grin*

Tags
meta