Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 12-12-2010, 02:55 PM   #1
Mr P

Default Wand of Dowsing in combat

Hi! In the spanish forum of Munchkin a buddy ask for the next situation:

A 9th level player was in combat which could make him win, so another player decided to use the Wand of Dowsing to take a monster from the discard pile and use it with a wandering monster from his hand and you know... some of the players agreed, anothers dont.

I've looking throught the forum about the WoD and found this post of MunchkinMan:
Quote:
Treasure cards can only be played on your turn or as soon as you get them, except (generically) GUAL cards (any time) and one-shot Items (during any combat). Other cards specifically say if they can be played at any time. WoD is a Treasure card and does not say it can be played other than on your turn.
In the 19th rules you can find:
Quote:
Items –Using Them
Any one-shot item can be played during any combat, whether you have it in your hand or on the table. (Some one-shot items, such as the Wishing Ring, may also be used outside of combat.)
Other items cannot be used unless they are active. Items turned sideways cannot help you, even if you could otherwise legally use them.
Other Treasures
Other Treasure cards are “specials” (like “Go Up A Level”). You may play these at any time, unless the card itself says otherwise. Follow the card’s instructions, then discard it, unless it has a persistent bonus like an Item.
Can they consider the WoD a one-shot item? It's true you can only use it once but I didn't think so...
MiB #3272
Iberia Cell Leader
Mr P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:33 PM   #2
Kirt

Default Re: Wand of Dowsing in combat

There is an important distinction here between PLAYED (cuando sacas una tarjeta de su mano) and USED (cuando usas una tarjeta que tienes en la mesa.)

Dowsing Rod is an Item, and it can only be used once. As a one-shot item, it is legal to USE it during someone else's turn, provided it is already on the table. This is what the quote you have from the rules says.

However, if someone has the card in their hand, they may not PLAY it from their hand to the table unless it is their turn or they just received it. That is what the ruling you quote from MM says.

So, to answer your question, taking the monster in the middle of the combat was legal IF the dowsing rod was already on the table, but was not legal if the person tried to play it from their hand.
Kirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:56 PM   #3
MunchkinMan

The Wand Of Dowsing does not say "usable once only," so it's not a one-shot card. You can not play it from your hand during combat, and since it's an Item, you may only play it to the table on your turn when you're not in combat, and use it any time after that, but you can't use it from your hand at any time.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:13 AM   #4
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

I'm ruling that the clear intent is that this is a one-shot card, even though it lacks the magical "Usable once only" language, and so the rules of one-shot cards apply to this one as well. It can be played during combat, and it can be used from the hand. (Sorry, Erik.)

Yes, this is an explicit exception, and yes, we'll get this added to the FAQ.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:21 PM   #5
Kirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirt View Post
Dowsing Rod is an Item, and it can only be used once. As a one-shot item...
Now that the thread is unlocked, I should point out that I was WRONG about this. MM has had other posts where he has said that something is not a one-shot just because it says or implies "discard after using", it needed to say "usable once only" to qualify.

Andrew's recent ruling notwithstanding, what I wrote was wrong when I wrote it, so my apologies to MM and the OP for not checking more carefully before I said it.
Kirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 05:09 PM   #6
Gryphon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
I'm ruling that the clear intent is that this is a one-shot card, even though it lacks the magical "Usable once only" language, and so the rules of one-shot cards apply to this one as well. It can be played during combat, and it can be used from the hand. (Sorry, Erik.)

Yes, this is an explicit exception, and yes, we'll get this added to the FAQ.
Soooo, WoD is now one-shot item, eh? OK, situation:
Player A is a Wizard and currently is in combat, Player B obtains WoD and using it to find something to drop in Player A's combat. Can Player A charm his monster while Player B is searching card in discard deck?

SJG MIB # 2810
Gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 05:56 PM   #7
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
Player A is a Wizard and currently is in combat, Player B obtains WoD and using it to find something to drop in Player A's combat. Can Player A charm his monster while Player B is searching card in discard deck?
No. Once B plays Wand of Dowsing, he must be allowed to complete his action.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:57 PM   #8
Gryphon

Quote:
No. Once B plays Wand of Dowsing, he must be allowed to complete his action.
Thank you!

SJG MIB # 2810
Gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 11:31 PM   #9
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
Thank you!
Although, to be UTTERLY clear, the action is complete when B retrieves something from the discard pile. Playing it is a separate action, and A could conceivably split the second between B's retrieval of the card and play of the card. It's unlikely, but possible.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:12 AM   #10
Grax

Quote:
Although, to be UTTERLY clear, the action is complete when B retrieves something from the discard pile. Playing it is a separate action, and A could conceivably split the second between B's retrieval of the card and play of the card. It's unlikely, but possible.
In this situation, the Wizard would still have to fight the monster that B wanders into the combat though (correct?), even if the initial monster was charmed - effectively the wizard loses his whole hand without getting the treasures from the initial combat until the second monster is resolved.

This thought is based on my understanding of the "2.9 second" rule as well as the "actions must be resolved before the next action can take place". Please correct me if I am assuming too much.
Grax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
official rulings, wand of dowsing