Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2011, 03:04 AM   #1101
ErhnamDJ
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: OK
Default Re: [IC] Worlds of Fire

Douglas, remembering what happened last time, will shoot the man with the gun in the leg.

Pistol (Skill 17, +3 Acc, +1 Weapon Bond, -2 targeting leg, -? lighting, -? range), 19? (3d6=12)

Damage, pi+ (wounding modifier x1 for leg) (2d6+2=11)

(Three shots remaining.)
ErhnamDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:02 AM   #1102
Totem
 
Totem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Western Harbour
Default Re: [IC] Worlds of Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErhnamDJ View Post
Douglas, remembering what happened last time, will shoot the man with the gun in the leg.

Pistol (Skill 17, +3 Acc, +1 Weapon Bond, -2 targeting leg, -? lighting, -? range), 19? (3d6=12)

Damage, pi+ (wounding modifier x1 for leg) (2d6+2=11)

(Three shots remaining.)
Skill 17, +3 ACC, +1 Weapon Bond, -2 Leg, -3 Lighting, -2 Range = 14 (by 3)

Wolf: Dodge 8: 5+6+4 = 15 (failed by 7)
Damage: 11 (reduced to HP for Limb, limb is crippled) = 5.5 damage
Wolf is at 5 HP
HT Roll for Major Wound: HT 11: 6+4+2 = 12 (failed by 1)

Wolf falls to the floor stunned.
All of the cultists currently in sight are incapacitated or dead.


Quote:
Sentinel Armour Comm Log:
Serena: (flashing up comm-signal icon on Mark's HUD) "I've got an incoming datasteam from the Bane of Asgard. It's tactical sensor data. I'll bring it up on your HUD."

[Datastream (Mark or Serena can use the armour's holojector's to share this info): The map that Serena brings up shows a lot of contact icons on a map of the bunker. There are at least fifty tagged approaching the entrance to the bunker, and twenty more waiting just out of sight of where Mark and Douglas are standing. More pertinently there are some hazard icons which indicate massive energy flux, marking out the locations of various cultists that are already nearby.]
The murmuring in the background has become quite pronounced, and has a disturbing quality that Seann [HPA] notices but can't make sense of. Serena does make sense of it though:

"Mark... That noise. I can hear it, and I've got an audio track record of it, but I'm... I'm not actually hearing it. My microphones are showing no pickup. It's like we're hearing it without actually needing to hear it." [OOC: if Seann has audio records he can confirm that the background noise doesn't appear on them despite being audible; Serena can hear it because she's got a high enough Spengler Flux to class as nearly having a soul.] "I'm running audio discrimination software, but I can't... [Serena: Computer Use 16: 4+5+1 = 10 (by 6)] I've got it. Multiple voices overlapping each other. Here's the main one:"

The voice that Serena plays back is, once you hear it, clearly part of the background whispering. And what it says is thus: "Rise my favoured sons. Rise and avenge my fall. Take my power."

A faint glow has begun to surround the bodies of several cultists (the named ones) and those who are alive appear to be in some kind of pain. Those who are dead are starting to move, barely. Even Guy.

Arad notices what is going on and whilst continuing the ritual manages to pass on the following to those nearby (everyone except Douglas, Mark and Ehrahm): "Chu'dam is raising them as demons. They may be beyond your ability to fight. As soon as the ritual is complete we must be leaving."


Out of combat time. There's about thirty seconds left in the ritual, and the transformation of the cultists is taking a while [OOC: you've got about a minute for it to complete; I may post a limited copy of the racial template that the cultists are acquiring in the OOC if it makes things easier to understand]. You need to decide what to do next.
__________________
"John Adams was a farmer. Abraham Lincoln was a small-town lawyer. Plato, Socrates were teachers. Jesus was a carpenter. To equate judgment and wisdom with occupation is at best... insulting."
Totem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 02:46 AM   #1103
ErhnamDJ
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: OK
Default Re: [IC] Worlds of Fire

What are the cultists doing while transforming? Would they be able to defend themselves?
ErhnamDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 05:28 AM   #1104
Totem
 
Totem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Western Harbour
Default Re: [IC] Worlds of Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErhnamDJ View Post
What are the cultists doing while transforming? Would they be able to defend themselves?
They're not exactly able to move and stuff, but be aware that Guy is very definitely dead (-37 HP or something around there), and is going to come out at full HP (for a Raised Demon) when this is over. Intervening damage might slow the process, but nothing else (this info is available to Seann and Arad).
__________________
"John Adams was a farmer. Abraham Lincoln was a small-town lawyer. Plato, Socrates were teachers. Jesus was a carpenter. To equate judgment and wisdom with occupation is at best... insulting."
Totem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:47 AM   #1105
KS Pathfinder
 
KS Pathfinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Worcester, UK
Default Re: [IC] Worlds of Fire

Hearing Serenas analysis of the voice and seeing whats going on around him Mark-315 looks around, obviously disconcerted by their sudden change of fortune and whats happening to the cultists. Oh this is not good, not good at all... I think a tactical withdrawal is not out of the question right now... Taking on cultists is one thing, taking on raised up demons is quite another. I wasnt engineered to take on demons.

Cautiously stepping backwards away from the cultists, SMG raised defensively, and back towards the room with the ritual being performed in it Mark-315 calls inside. I imagine everyone has noticed whats going on... Uh... I think we should be running now, how long until the rituals complete because we really need to go.

Looks about and notices James, whos still tied up. And James is still out of it... Crap... I guess were going to have to carry him. I guess Ill get that duty, I imagine I am the strongest person here and am actually armoured so obviously suited for shielding James if things go south.

[OOC: I seem to recall Talosian querying in the OOC about whether people had explosives so that the tunnel could be blocked off behind us.]

Mark-315 then looks over at Seann, since his face is obscured by his helmet; his body language portraying his apologetic expression. Sorry Seann, its a good idea, but Im fresh out of demolitions Im afraid.
KS Pathfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:59 PM   #1106
Totem
 
Totem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Western Harbour
Default Re: [IC] Worlds of Fire

Okay, so the plan as is appears to be that:
  • Mark will carry James (who is mostly okay and will only need a bit of help to get going).
  • Douglas will dump all of his spare explosives by the entrance to the escape tunnel.
  • Charles will help someone carry John for as far as necessary.
  • Non-combatants will be at the front of the escape effort (Arad, Sara and James once he is up to walking again).
  • It might be helpful for some kind of secondary blockage to be arranged; if John has a suitable spell available then this would be good.
  • Everyone not otherwise engaged in a job should be at the back mounting a defence just in case the demons have a go at catching up.
There is one further point that no one seems to have considered: there are five cultists still tied up who aren't changing. If you need it, leaving them tied up might buy you some time while the demons kill them.

Any objections to the above, otherwise we shall proceed.
__________________
"John Adams was a farmer. Abraham Lincoln was a small-town lawyer. Plato, Socrates were teachers. Jesus was a carpenter. To equate judgment and wisdom with occupation is at best... insulting."
Totem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 01:03 PM   #1107
Lamech
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Default Re: [IC] Worlds of Fire

No objections here, (just tell me when I'm back up.)
__________________
John
Cee
Martel
Hiriko
Andrew
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 01:10 PM   #1108
Talosian
 
Talosian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: California
Default Re: [IC] Worlds of Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS Pathfinder View Post
Hearing Serena’s analysis of the voice and seeing what’s going on around him Mark-315 looks around, obviously disconcerted by their sudden change of fortune and what’s happening to the cultists. “Oh this is not good, not good at all... I think a tactical withdrawal is not out of the question right now... Taking on cultists is one thing, taking on raised up demons is quite another. I wasn’t engineered to take on demons.”

Cautiously stepping backwards away from the cultists, SMG raised defensively, and back towards the room with the ritual being performed in it Mark-315 calls inside. “I imagine everyone has noticed what’s going on... Uh... I think we should be running now, how long until the ritual’s complete because we really need to go.”

Looks about and notices James, who’s still tied up. “And James is still out of it... Crap... I guess we’re going to have to carry him. I guess I’ll get that duty, I imagine I am the strongest person here and am actually armoured so obviously suited for shielding James if things go south.”

[OOC: I seem to recall Talosian querying in the OOC about whether people had explosives so that the tunnel could be blocked off behind us.]

Mark-315 then looks over at Seann, since his face is obscured by his helmet; his body language portraying his apologetic expression. “Sorry Seann, it’s a good idea, but I’m fresh out of demolitions I’m afraid.”
"That's very, very bad. We need to leave." He turns to Mark. "I have grenades in my bag. You'll want the two grey golf ball sized objects with a red dot on them, the four thimble sized ones with the same dot. In the pouch next to them there are two tiny black mine-like objects with green dots on them. Put those two on two of the cultists, preferably Guy and one of his friends. I'd try not to touch them. I'll set them to detonate shortly after we leave." (He'll direct Mark through his bag.) "As for James, once we finish the ritual he won't be a threat, so Douglas can unbind him while you place the explosives. I'd strongly advise that you hurry." He turns towards Ehrahm's corridor, "Ehrahm! We need to leave very soon! Pull back to the door and be ready to pullback with us!" He looks at the cultists who are still bound in the corridor for a moment, then says, "Douglas, after you've freed James, go cut the cultists loose. If any can still run, let them."

*Two of these at 40mm, and four more at 25mm.
Spoiler:  

* Two 25mm Limpet Mine versions of these (and I was wrong about the damage. At TL11, it totals 81 direct, minus 2 for the remaining DR for a total of 79).
Spoiler:  


Quote:
Okay, so the plan as is appears to be that:
Mark will carry James (who is mostly okay and will only need a bit of help to get going).
Douglas will dump all of his spare explosives by the entrance to the escape tunnel.
Charles will help someone carry John for as far as necessary.
Non-combatants will be at the front of the escape effort (Arad, Sara and James once he is up to walking again).
It might be helpful for some kind of secondary blockage to be arranged; if John has a suitable spell available then this would be good.
Everyone not otherwise engaged in a job should be at the back mounting a defence just in case the demons have a go at catching up.
There is one further point that no one seems to have considered: there are five cultists still tied up who aren't changing. If you need it, leaving them tied up might buy you some time while the demons kill them.

Any objections to the above, otherwise we shall proceed.
My concept here is to have Mark place Seann's grenades, then carry John. Douglas can use his grenades or not as he pleases. Charles can assist James along as much as he needs. Seann would send Douglas ahead of the group because he is the fastest, and can secure the path. Seann and Ehrahm probably can't do any damage to the demons with their weaponry, but they can still throw some more of Seann's grenades if necessary (yes, he has more). If John comes around in time, he could use Force Dome/Wall (I forget which one he prepared).

I mentioned the last point earlier in my post, before I read yours. Ha. :P

PS: Oh! I meant to use this in the original defense (DERP!) But Seann has two cans of Slipspray in his bag. He'll direct Ehrahm to get those, and then Ehrahm and Seann can spray down the passages as they withdraw.

* The Raised Demon's Dex will make these only semi-effective, but it can't hurt.
Spoiler:  


EDIT: I changed the post to have Seann telling Douglas to give the remaining cultists a fighting chance. Also, one additional note... Seann will be changing the magazine in his pistol from standard rounds to HEMP rounds (I'll post the statistics for these if necessary, but using them will be an emergency measure).

Last edited by Talosian; 10-17-2011 at 09:15 PM.
Talosian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:34 PM   #1109
Totem
 
Totem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Western Harbour
Default Re: [IC] Worlds of Fire

Unless anyone has anything to add..?

[Ritual Rolls]
Ritual (round #4 (t+40 mins)):
Seann: WILL 14: 5+6+3 = 14 (barely)
Douglas: WILL 12: ---
John: WILL 14: ---
Mark: WILL 10: ---
Serena: WILL 14: ---
Charles: WILL 13: 6+5+1 = 12 (by 1)
Arad: WILL 11: 4+3+1 = 8 (by 3)
Sara: WILL 11: 4+1+1 = 6 (by 5)
James: WILL 11: ---
Ehrahm: WILL 9: ---

Total:
Biggest margin of success = 5
Total other successes = 3
Result = 8

Opposed roll:
Chu'dam: WILL 8: 6+3+1 = 10 (failed by 2)

Successes 4/4
[/Ritual Rolls]

Owing to Chu'dam's unexpected lack of resistance [OOC: the whole Raised Demon thing requires character points to be transfered to the target, so Chu'dam is actually in a fairly low-powered state right now] the ritual completes without a hitch. There is a shuddering in the air and the whisperings in the background abruptly change to a withdrawing scream that seems to focus itself on the box in the middle of what is left of the circle before cutting off abruptly.

Now to escape.

You've situated yourself right next to the escape tunnel, so it's simply a matter of everyone grabbing stuff and running for it. Sort of running.

The tunnel isn't quite tall enough to stand up in: everyone is at an effective MOVE-1 whilst in it. That's better than it sounds, because that leaves your slowest members with an effective MOVE of 4 (about four and a half minutes to reach the other end of the tunnel). The good news is that the last anyone saw of the changing cultists, they're heading for decidedly bigger than a normal Human and are likely to be slowed just as much, if not more.



Setting the explosives is a hurried task (you only had thirty seconds to pull it off remember): I need rolls for Douglas if he is placing his grenades/ gunpowder, for Seann if he is placing his grenades (or for Mark/ Serena if he is directing them to place them). All rolls are at -1 because you're in a hurry, unless you want to increase the chances of the Demons catching up with you.
__________________
"John Adams was a farmer. Abraham Lincoln was a small-town lawyer. Plato, Socrates were teachers. Jesus was a carpenter. To equate judgment and wisdom with occupation is at best... insulting."
Totem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 03:02 PM   #1110
Totem
 
Totem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Western Harbour
Default Re: [IC] Worlds of Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totem View Post
Now to escape.

You've situated yourself right next to the escape tunnel, so it's simply a matter of everyone grabbing stuff and running for it. Sort of running.

The tunnel isn't quite tall enough to stand up in: everyone is at an effective MOVE-1 whilst in it. That's better than it sounds, because that leaves your slowest members with an effective MOVE of 4 (about four and a half minutes to reach the other end of the tunnel). The good news is that the last anyone saw of the changing cultists, they're heading for decidedly bigger than a normal Human and are likely to be slowed just as much, if not more.
[OOC: if someone provides rolls for the use of the explosives, then I'll work them in, otherwise, we'll carry on from here.]

The run down the tunnel is a fairly harrowing affair; the demons can be heard chasing after you after a not particularly long delay. They are clearly too large to be comfortable in it, and are having a hard time of it. On the downside the slipspray, if used, doesn't slow them much; they're on all fours and apparently strong enough to hold themselves up despite their limbs trying to go in different directions.

The bunker at the far end doesn't contain much; it isn't a defensible position (from the inside anyway), so you need to decide what to do next.
  • Mark's map indicates the edge of the teleport jamming (no one considered looking for the source of that) is a couple of hundred metres away.
  • If someone took some time over the explosives at the start of the tunnel then the demons will be on you shortly.
  • If people didn't take time over the explosives (-1 to skill) then the demons are going to be further behind you and making a run for it seems more plausible. More precise numbers for these may be available shortly.
The landscape is mostly woodland around this area, with a single track leading away from the second bunker. The shortest route to the edge of the jamming is through the woods. Make plans.

Oh, and any time you want that orbital strike, just let me know.
__________________
"John Adams was a farmer. Abraham Lincoln was a small-town lawyer. Plato, Socrates were teachers. Jesus was a carpenter. To equate judgment and wisdom with occupation is at best... insulting."
Totem is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
pbp, world-jumping, worlds of fire

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.