Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-24-2010, 10:41 PM   #1
aesir23

Default Treated Linen as an Advantage?

I was looking at the Treated Linen from Fantasy-Tech 1, which is impenetrable so it converts all damage to crushing.

This made me think of Luke Cage with his unbreakable skin and the possibility of a Gadgeteer making a similar product. In the past I've treated such concepts as extremely high DR with Hardened and Flexible, forcing opponents to rely on blunt trauma as their only source of damage. But Treated Linen opens up an interesting new possibility.

What would be a fair cost of an enhancement on DR that converts all damage to Crushing?
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:08 PM   #2
Diomedes

Default Re: Treated Linen as an Advantage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
What would be a fair cost of an enhancement on DR that converts all damage to Crushing?

Perhaps an ungodly amount of this, or you could make it a form of Injury Tolerance.
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:27 PM   #3
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diomedes View Post
Perhaps an ungodly amount of this, or you could make it a form of Injury Tolerance.
Wow. That is very cool stuff! Worth some serious consideration.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:07 PM   #4
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Wow. That is very cool stuff! Worth some serious consideration.
An official edge protection rule is rumored to appear in CCoI, btw. I think if you wanted a trait that does something like then Injury Tolerance is the way to go.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 12:50 PM   #5
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
As others have suggested, this is pretty clearly a flavor of Injury Tolerance, not an add-on to DR.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 12:52 PM   #6
tanniynim

That's REALLY awesome. :)
tanniynim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 01:07 PM   #7
SuedodeuS

Alright, so we're looking at Injury Tolerance (No Blood; Doesn't Protect Against Blood Chokes or Ingested/Absorbed Blood Agents -40%) [3] to start, as everything is Crushing (if Major Wounds still cause bleeding, the trait should probably cost only [2]). Next we have a combination of Injury Tolerance (Damage Reduction 1.5, Cutting Only -40%) [15], Injury Tolerance (Damage Reduction 2, Impaling Only -40%) [30], Injury Tolerance (Damage Reduction 1.5, Large Piercing Only -60%) [10], Injury Tolerance (Damage Reduction 2, Huge Piercing Only -60%) [20], and Vulnerability x2 (Small Piercing, Occasional) [-20]. Now, obviously, simply adding all of these together would be inaccurate. It may be appropriate to consider all the IT:DR's to be Alternate Abilities of each other for pricing purposes, making them cost [39] altogether. So, the whole Meta-Trait would be worth [22]. Personally, giving the full discount for the Vulnerability doesn't sit quite right with me - upping the final price to [25] or [30] may be appropriate.
Old 09-25-2010, 01:08 PM   #8
aesir23

Yes, that does make more sense.

Here's an attempt:
Quote:
IT: Unbreakable Skin (30)
Your skin, or some other covering is soft and flexible but impenetrable. All Cutting, Piercing, and Impaling attacks are treated as Crushing for all purposes (including which locations can be targeted.)
You do not Bleed, but are still vulnerable to blood born pathogens and blood chokes, etc.... You are also immune to Dismemberment, but crippling injury effects you normally.
Note that this does not include the benefits of no brain or no vitals, but many people will buy those as well.
I'm not sure about the price, it seems more useful than Unliving, but less useful than Homogenous, so I just priced it in the middle.

[EDIT] Ninja'd sort of. We came to about the same conclusion.
Old 09-25-2010, 01:13 PM   #9
SuedodeuS

In my haste, I forgot about No Vitals (No Brain isn't included here, because Crushing damage still hurts your brain-meats). That would boost the trait another 3-4 points, depending on how much of a discount you give for Shock getting multiplied (and the knockdown/stunning effects). All told, [30] is looking like a decent price for the trait.

There are also some other strange effects, like the piercing/impaling effect being lesser in the limbs/extremities, but I'd say for simplicity (and because we already have a fudge-factor in the points) we can safely ignore those.

Last edited by SuedodeuS; 09-25-2010 at 01:17 PM.
SuedodeuS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 05:31 PM   #10
Edges

Stolen : )
Edges is offline   Reply With Quote