Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-06-2010, 10:51 PM   #1
Jürgen Hubert

Default Community Monster Repository

If you have created any monsters in the Dungeon Fantasy format and want to see them preserved off-site, please post here to give me the permission to do so and provide links to them.

I have gotten permissions by a few people so far, and already there are more than 70 monsters up there - but I hope there will be lots more...

Oh, and if you take requests for creating monsters, please sound off here as well.

Last edited by Jürgen Hubert; 08-06-2010 at 10:56 PM.
Jürgen Hubert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 01:53 PM   #2
Pomphis

Default Re: Community Monster Repository

Many thanks.
Pomphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 05:08 PM   #3
rosignol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jürgen Hubert View Post
If you have created any monsters in the Dungeon Fantasy format and want to see them preserved off-site, please post here to give me the permission to do so and provide links to them.

I have gotten permissions by a few people so far, and already there are more than 70 monsters up there - but I hope there will be lots more...

Excellent. I had bookmarked the thread, but this is much more useful.

Is there any chance of breaking them down by type/challenge level? (Worthy/Fodder/Epic/etc)? Or is this a anyone-is-welcome-to-edit thing, as implied by the wiki?
Old 08-07-2010, 06:20 PM   #4
demonsbane

Very good resource.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 11:53 PM   #5
Anubis

yes im very new to game and found this to be very usefull indeed
Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 11:57 PM   #6
Jürgen Hubert

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosignol View Post
Excellent. I had bookmarked the thread, but this is much more useful.

Is there any chance of breaking them down by type/challenge level? (Worthy/Fodder/Epic/etc)? Or is this a anyone-is-welcome-to-edit thing, as implied by the wiki?
This is certainly possible to do so - all that needs to be done is to give the entry an appropriate tag (via the "Tag" button at the bottom of the page) and then set up some appropriate page listing modules.

I can certainly set up such a page listing them in that way. But first, we should agree on what different challenge levels we are going to use. Is everyone satisfied with the "Worthy/Fodder/Epic" split, or do we need more/different levels?

(Oh, and another thing: I have disabled anonymous editing for the time being, as I'm going on an extended bicycle trip soon and don't want spambots to appear while I am gone. But all that's required for adding new stuff or editing is registering at Wikidot.com - do that via the panel at the upper right corner.)
Old 08-08-2010, 01:31 AM   #7
Jürgen Hubert

OK, I made a few additions to the presentation of the monsters.

First, I added a Monsters By Class page, which lists monsters by, well, its class as defined in GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 2. All you need to do to add new monsters to a particular class is to give it the appropriate tag. It also lists monsters which don't have an appropriate tag yet. Currently, this is only the case for the Dungeon Shark, since I had no idea where to place it.

I also added a Monsters by Challenge page, which uses the definitions in Mailanka's Homebrew Monsters thread, using all the categories that popped up there. Since I also added monsters from numerous other threads, not all have appropriate "challenge" tags and are listed as unsorted at the bottom. Feel free to give them appropriate ratings!

Finally, each monster can also be rated by registered users. Once someone rates a monster, it should appear in this list of top-rated monsters.

This is all I can do for now before starting on my big bicycle trip tomorrow (500 kilometers along the rivers Main and Rhine!). I have quite a few ideas for what else I can do with the wiki, but working on these things will have to wait until the next weekend. In the meantime, I will leave the Repository in your hands, and feel free to submit new monsters.

As a final note, I would like to point out that the Repository also contains a number of additional sections where you can submit stuff, including character templates, magical styles, martial arts styles, NPCs, racial templates, spaceships, and spells (and I have some ideas for some other sections...). Feel free to do something with these as well - I just concentrated on monsters first because they were the easiest to add.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:32 AM   #8
roland

When there're enough monsters, 300-400 or so, we can create a book with images and the template for writing Steve Jackson Games content.
we could create un (un)official book!!
Mailanka, Jhurgen, do you think up?
roland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:21 AM   #9
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jürgen Hubert View Post
As a final note, I would like to point out that the Repository also contains a number of additional sections where you can submit stuff, including character templates, magical styles, martial arts styles, NPCs, racial templates, spaceships, and spells (and I have some ideas for some other sections...). Feel free to do something with these as well - I just concentrated on monsters first because they were the easiest to add.
How about cities? They have a defined stat template.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:07 PM   #10
Jürgen Hubert

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland View Post
When there're enough monsters, 300-400 or so, we can create a book with images and the template for writing Steve Jackson Games content.
we could create un (un)official book!!
Mailanka, Jhurgen, do you think up?
I think there is a prohibition in the official SJG fan site policy against producing fan material that uses the same appearance as official material...

But we can certainly produce a PDF. In fact, I've created some perl scripts in the past which allowed me to convert the content of Wikidot.com wikis into different formats. With some work, I could probably create some sort of script which convert them all into a single HTML file, and converting that into PDF is trivial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
How about cities? They have a defined stat template.
Good idea. I have GURPS Cities, and that should be easy to set up. But like I said, that will have to wait until the next weekend...

Tags
dungeon fantasy, monsters