Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 06-30-2010, 02:20 PM   #1
JCD

Default A strange question

I was at Dexcon two years ago and an MIB was doing an IN demo.

It was a scenario of a bunch of Renegades and Outcasts running from an Angel and getting stuck in a small town.

Does anyone know the name of that MIB?
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 12:08 PM   #2
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Default Re: A strange question

I don't. Let me see if I can figure out who to ask...
Old 07-02-2010, 07:28 PM   #3
Professor Raven

That would be me. What would you like to know?
Professor Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 07:51 PM   #4
JCD

I sent you a PM. Thank you for responding
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 01:40 PM   #5
tbug

Well I have a question, Professor. I might be running a game or two at a public game day before too long. What are the key things about In Nomine that I should highlight and what should I gloss over? How did you go about deciding what to give people as pre-gens?
tbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 06:16 AM   #6
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbug View Post
Well I have a question, Professor. I might be running a game or two at a public game day before too long. What are the key things about In Nomine that I should highlight and what should I gloss over? How did you go about deciding what to give people as pre-gens?
I've run IN LARP, but here's what I've found:

Built your pre-gen party as a whole, not as a stack of random types. Have a set of starring roles (vital that players take them) and supporting roles (contribute to the story, but you'll survive if no one plays them). Build the starring roles with some antagonism among themselves, but not too much. A Windy and a Flower, for instance, but not a Malakite of Judgment and an Outcast.

How did I decide? I didn't. I put brief, nonspecific descriptions of each character on the outside of an envelope and let the players chose which envelope they wanted. They were allowed to but discouraged from opening the envelope before choosing. Included in most descriptions was the name of one character who was built as a foil. I suspect the 'foil' thing would be unique to LARP, as characters are supposed to interact more with each other than with the environment.

Key things about In Nomine: Good is defined as unselfish, evil as selfish. Angels (depending on your contrast level) are good, demons evil. Words are powerful but also limiting--Michael is War and on some level can't comprehend a world without it. PC's have more leeway being Wordless, which is why they're on the ground and not the Superiors.

Disturbance. This is a Cold War and nobody wants it breaking out into a hot one. Not even Michael and Baal, because that would lead to winning the War and thus ending it!

Celestial beings are essentially aliens. If any of your players are Supernatural fans, point them to Castiel, and how there are some things he just doesn't comprehend.

That's offhand...
Old 07-05-2010, 12:57 PM   #7
Professor Raven

tbug, I have a summary of the key rules/setting elements for each IN scenario I run, which is never longer than two sides of a single sheet of paper, which I hand out to the players as they arrive at the table, even before they choose their characters. Most of the summary remains the same over time, but there are always variations for that particular scenario. For example, I briefly explain Outcasts/Renegades for the scenario that includes them as PCs, but barely mention them in most versions.

If you'd like to send me a PM with an e-mail address, I can send a copy of one version of the summary for you to customize as you choose from there. It's a handy reference for the players to use in the course of the scenario as well, so you don't have to answer the same game mechanics questions more than once.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:33 PM   #8
Professor Raven

Re: what to give people as pre-gens. That depends on the scenario. I rarely run any RPG with more than six characters, and for IN I try to have each character be a different choir/band and serve a different Superior if possible. There are always exceptions depending on the particular scenario. I make sure there is at least one character (and often two) that is a combat-heavy character who doesn't need a lot of thought or knowledge of the background for players who don't know much about it and may not especially want to learn. I also sometimes include the opposite, a character that is very steeped in the setting for players likely to appreciate it, and will often explicitly describe that character as being for players with knowledge of the setting when they are choosing their characters. With IN, you tend to get mostly people who haven't played it or rarely play it, with the occasional expert, so I generate PCs to correspond to those proportions.

As in most RPGs, a mix of skills/abilities is important, including some redundancy for those essential to the resolution of the scenario, in case a character isn't chosen by any player or is being played by someone who doesn't think to use that skill/ability for one reason or another. I try to give each character some ace-in-the-hole, an ability the others might not expect them to have (and yet makes sense), for surprises as the story progresses.

Try to keep the characters simple, so the player isn't overwhelmed by possibilities. At the same time, try to keep ability scores from getting so high that they can't fail. You want them to have to spend Essence to succeed at times, unless you're going to limit the amount of Essence they have in the first place. Nine Essence is a lot to use in a four hour time slot!

I generally have the PCs not know each other prior to the scenario, or know each other only slightly, since few things work as badly as characters that are supposed to know each other forever while the players don't know a thing about the character they aren't playing. On rare occasions, I'll have two characters who know each other well, but no more than that.

All characters have the same overarcing goal, but I try to make sure each also has at least one sub-goal (often related to their Superior) that is likely to conflict with at least one other member of the character group. It lends spice to the scenario without generating too much internal group argument. It should be something the character wants to do, but something that they could plausibly give up to preserve group unity if necessary.

I could write a small book on the subject.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:47 PM   #9
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Raven View Post
As in most RPGs, a mix of skills/abilities is important, including some redundancy for those essential to the resolution of the scenario, in case a character isn't chosen by any player or is being played by someone who doesn't think to use that skill/ability for one reason or another. I try to give each character some ace-in-the-hole, an ability the others might not expect them to have (and yet makes sense), for surprises as the story progresses.
Redundancy--oh, I've learned and relearned that one the hard way. Never put an important plot point in only one set of hands. Always two or more, unless you're prepared to be really flexible.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:18 PM   #10
ladyarcana55

When I did my one nighter with my boys, it was just to introduce them to the game. I stuck strictly with the Songs and abilities in the Core. I wasn't going by a module because one of my boys read the freakin' thing so I had to make something up after I beat him.

I explained the different Choirs. I didn't even touch up on Superiors because that was more than what they needed at the time.

When I did their pregens, I made more than what they needed. I have 6 players, but I made 8 characters. Two were Corporeal heavy, two Ethereal heavy and so on. The last two were balanced. And no more than two served the same Superior.

I explained the basics to them; what 9-Force angels actually means, the Cold War concept, how the politics of Heaven affects them and their relationship to each other. Everything else, like combat I explained to them as we went along. It was the easiest way for me to introduce it to them.

These were my experiences, hope yours goes a lot smoother.
ladyarcana55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
meta