Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 06-18-2010, 07:21 PM   #1
Breez

Default Run-time error 380 after installng GCA

I've tried downloading and installing GURPS Character Assistant with and without Firewall and other protection, doing it as the administrator, updated it the same way, etc., but I keep getting the following error:

Run-time error '380': A script engine for the specified language can not be created.

What does that mean, and how can I get GCA working on my computer (my OS is Windows 7)? It's a shame to pay for something and have it prove to be a dud. Anybody have any ideas?
Breez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:58 PM   #2
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: Run-time error 380 after installng GCA

Firewall should have no effect on the install; disabling your anti-virus, however, may have an impact. Running as Administrator is usually necessary, especially when you're logged in from a non-administrator account.

Beyond the basic advice I'd suggest you try rebooting your computer and shutting down all background applications (everything in the system tray, everything that's running that you don't need running). It may be that some file that GCA is trying to update can't be updated because it's currently in use by one of these applications.

I can assure you that GCA runs just fine in Windows 7; I've run it on both 32 and 64 bit versions of that OS without issue (I currently have four different computers, two running 32 bit and two running 64 bit, all with GCA installed and running).

I'm not sure what the run-time error 380 means. I'll have to prod Armin and see if he can check into it. Further information on the error (if it's giving you any more information, such as in a "More Info" button), when it occurs (I assume it happens when you try to run GCA?) could be helpful.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 03:25 PM   #3
Armin
GCA Prime

We've seen this error come up a couple times before, but unfortunately, we have never found a solution that we know to work. (Which doesn't mean there isn't one, just that nobody has told us if they've gotten it to work.) For some reason, on some Windows machines, the script engine simply doesn't appear to work correctly.

I've never found any examples of this issue, or possible causes, from Microsoft. I have no idea why a tiny fraction of users run into this issue. I'm sorry, but it's one of those oddities that we just don't know the cause of.

Armin
Old 06-20-2010, 12:19 AM   #4
Kazander

As a non-official support person for this application, this error suggests there is something wrong with your Script Engines....try reinstalling. You have windows 7, which comes with Windows Script Engine 5.7. If you installed Internet Explorer 8, this upgraded you to WSE 5.8. You could try uninstalling IE8 and reinstalling it.

Also, make sure the file msscript.ocx is registered properly. It's located in C:\Windows\SysWOW64, and needs to be registered using Regsvr32.exe in a command line prompt (ran as Administrator). Maybe try this first since it's simpler than reinstalling IE8. You may need to unregister it first.... regsvr32.exe /? for the command syntax.

It could also be a registry problem; perhaps try a legitimate registry cleaner like CCleaner if the reinstall doesn't help. Just make sure you back up your registry before making any changes!!!

Just a few things which seem likely to work that turned up with some Googling of that error. I cannot validate any of these suggestions myself....since my machine is working (Win7/x64). If any of these solutions exceed your comfort level as a computer user, then by all means don't do them!

Hope something helps!
Kazander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:56 PM   #5
Stormcrow

I am getting something very similar on a new Windows 7 Professional x64 machine. "Run-time error '380': Invalid property value."

The problem only happens when running as a non-administrator. When running as an administrator, the program does not need to be elevated to run. Compatibility Mode does not help.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:25 PM   #6
Stormcrow

Further information:

I fixed it! It's a new computer, but it's using a roaming profile, so my settings from another computer were on it. I ran GCAClearAppData.exe from the GCA folder (because it sounded promising) and this reset my GCA settings, allowing me to start GCA without the error 380.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:44 PM   #7
Breez

Whew, after several months of headache, I'm finally back.

Thanks for your suggestions and input. I'm not at all familiar with the Command Prompt or any kind of programming language/jargon. Could you outline that a little more clearly for me?

I'm hestitant to un/reinstall Internet Explorer, so I'd prefer and option that avoids that.

Thanks
Breez is offline   Reply With Quote