Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 04-24-2012, 12:14 AM   #31
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Default Re: House Rules

An alternative to Fleet of Vessels, that can also make the Malakim pretty darn scary.

He's Baaaack!
It's damnably hard to keep a good Virtue down. When a Malakite's only vessel is killed, note the CD of the final blow. That's how many rounds go by before the Virtue gets a chance to be back in the action.

Starting on that round, make a roll against CorpForces + Vessel level. On a success, the Malakite reappears in the same vessel, ready to rejoin the battle. On a failure, he has to try again next round. A Divine Intervention means he returns with some "edge" of the GM's choice. An Infernal Intervention means the Malakite has actually run out of spares and has to go to his Superior for more; he won't be coming back until after the fight is over, at a moment of the GM's choosing.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:21 PM   #32
Rocket Man

My group has used this for a while without formally codifying it:

Dream On
Instead of the listed duration, the Corporeal Song of Dreams allows a celestial to remain in a mortal dream until either the dream ends or the celestial leaves or is forced out. The Song must be used again to re-enter.

Dream Walking, on the other hand, allows a celestial to enter and re-enter a dream at will -- though if the user was forced out, returning too quickly may not be wise!

Old 05-17-2014, 08:34 PM   #33
tHEhERETIC

I'm thinking about fudging something a little and wanted feedback here.

A Habbalite, having whipped up a bunch of people into anger, attacks a newcomer with his resonance. Newcomer is now furious.

A PC walks into the situation and plants a kiss on the newcomer. I don't see how that would change the outcome, unless I consider the PC an extremely good kisser. :) Let's say the newcomer under ordinary circumstances would be okay with that kind of attention from a woman, since he's an actor and could work that into his show...otherwise it's a little rapey and that would definitely make a person angry.

However I was wondering--if she had planted the kiss on the demon, and she inspired lust rather than anger, would our angry mob now be a lustful mob? Since at least some of them are angry because of the Habbalite's resonance, could shifting the demon's emotional state dramatically cause a ripple effect down the ones he'd affected?

Could changing the newcomer's emotional state ripple up to the demon?

It's an interesting little brain toy for me right now. What do you think?
Old 05-17-2014, 09:40 PM   #34
Rocket Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEhERETIC View Post
I'm thinking about fudging something a little and wanted feedback here.

A Habbalite, having whipped up a bunch of people into anger, attacks a newcomer with his resonance. Newcomer is now furious.

A PC walks into the situation and plants a kiss on the newcomer. I don't see how that would change the outcome, unless I consider the PC an extremely good kisser. :) Let's say the newcomer under ordinary circumstances would be okay with that kind of attention from a woman, since he's an actor and could work that into his show...otherwise it's a little rapey and that would definitely make a person angry.

However I was wondering--if she had planted the kiss on the demon, and she inspired lust rather than anger, would our angry mob now be a lustful mob? Since at least some of them are angry because of the Habbalite's resonance, could shifting the demon's emotional state dramatically cause a ripple effect down the ones he'd affected?

Could changing the newcomer's emotional state ripple up to the demon?

It's an interesting little brain toy for me right now. What do you think?

A few thoughts, from someone who has an interest in the campaign, but also finds the question intriguing.

1) I could see a case where the kiss could confuse a target, maybe enough to give them a fresh resistance roll as an unexpected emotion breaks the rhythm. Kind of like a slap to a hysteric, or a violinist playing Freebird in the middle of Beethoven's Fifth; it upsets the mood.

2)The effects of kissing the demon would depend on how you view the emotional resonance. Is the demon twitching the strings of a puppet, in which case it'll change as the demon does? Or is the demon throwing an emotional grenade and disconnected from any future results?

3) Most Habbalah don't deal well with pushback. :) In the core rules, a successful resistance roll to the Punisher's attack means the demon has to either suck it up (take dissonance) or play out the emotion themselves. If a kiss gave the victim a fresh resistance roll as in step 1, then I can see the feedback rippling back, yes -- after all, it was emotion that prompted the resistance!

Hmmm ... is that where the legend of breaking a curse with a kiss comes from?

Last edited by Rocket Man; 05-17-2014 at 10:05 PM.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:16 PM   #35
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

I think by the stricter reading of the rules, the Habbalite rez is the grenade -- the Habbalite tosses it, and the emotions are there even if the Habbalite wanders away, gets stabbed by a Malakite, etc. If you're having Influence The Crowd be an enhanced use of resonance, though, rather than one-on-one (I don't think Habbalah get to do mass-emotion, do they? I didn't timeline jump on this?), having the Habbalite need to concentrate to maintain the effect would be pretty reasonable, and anything that disrupts the Habbalite's concentration might:

• Break the effect entirely, leaving the crowd to sort of putter on with their emotions for a while till they fade. A barfight will continue!
• Break the effect entirely and instantly! "...why are we rioting?"
• Twist the emotions to a new course! Yowza!
• Mingle the emotions -- or twist slowly, anyway. Barfight continues! Merges more gradually to orgy!

Habbalite should probably get a Will roll to not be distracted, but if this is an exotic/advanced use of resonance, that Will roll may be penalized...

Whether a surprising kiss gave a second resistance roll or simply got twisted into a shove-away with yelling or something... There's definitely where GM interpretation lies! ...I'd think it'd have to be a really good kiss, personally, but that's me. O;>
Old 05-19-2014, 05:41 AM   #36
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel Beth View Post
I think by the stricter reading of the rules, the Habbalite rez is the grenade -- the Habbalite tosses it, and the emotions are there even if the Habbalite wanders away, gets stabbed by a Malakite, etc. If you're having Influence The Crowd be an enhanced use of resonance, though, rather than one-on-one (I don't think Habbalah get to do mass-emotion, do they? I didn't timeline jump on this?), having the Habbalite need to concentrate to maintain the effect would be pretty reasonable, and anything that disrupts the Habbalite's concentration might:

• Break the effect entirely, leaving the crowd to sort of putter on with their emotions for a while till they fade. A barfight will continue!
• Break the effect entirely and instantly! "...why are we rioting?"
• Twist the emotions to a new course! Yowza!
• Mingle the emotions -- or twist slowly, anyway. Barfight continues! Merges more gradually to orgy!

Habbalite should probably get a Will roll to not be distracted, but if this is an exotic/advanced use of resonance, that Will roll may be penalized...

Whether a surprising kiss gave a second resistance roll or simply got twisted into a shove-away with yelling or something... There's definitely where GM interpretation lies! ...I'd think it'd have to be a really good kiss, personally, but that's me. O;>
It's not actually a crowd effect. Habby (who really needs a proper name, eh?) got the crowd riled up more or less the old-fashioned way. He zapped one guy, let him get lathered up, then zapped another and let the two of them persuade others. Crowdthink. Habby is clever.

And Mr. Samurai got a second resistance roll, and I haven't yet posted his reaction. Which I should do very shortly.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:11 AM   #37
Whitelaughter

My only important house rule is reducing the cost of Rites to 1cp. They still don't get bought, but at that point they become worth considering.
Whitelaughter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rules