Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2010, 12:43 AM   #21
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Longmont, CO
Default Re: House Rules

A slight variation on a house rule I've seen on these boards:

Oh, It's The Janitor

Roles with Status 1 get a -1 to reaction rolls from most people. Status 2 gets no modifier; positive reactions begin at +1 for Status 3 and increase normally from there.

(The original house rule I saw -- I can't remember which of you guys posted it -- started the progression at Status 1 = 0 reaction. I liked the idea, but wanted to tinker a bit. In both cases, the effects of high Status get toned down a bit.)
__________________
“It's not railroading if you offer the PCs tickets and they stampede to the box office, waving their money. Metaphorically speaking”
--Elizabeth McCoy, In Nomine Line Editor

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:31 PM   #22
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Longmont, CO
Default Re: House Rules

Duty

Mechanically, this is a weaker version of Blessed. Mortals who take this advantage may double their Will when asked to do something that would violate their Duty. The Duty must have a specific application: "Duty to my family," "Duty to the law," "Duty to my fiancee," and so on are all appropriate. A policeman with the appropriate Duty, for example, would be harder to talk out of a traffic ticket. A husband with Duty to his wife would be more difficult for that Lilim of Andre to seduce. (Of course not all policemen -- or all husbands! -- necessarily have a Duty in game terms.)

Note that OUTSIDE the Duty area, their Will remains normal. Seducing the policeman into betraying his wife may still be perfectly achievable ....
__________________
“It's not railroading if you offer the PCs tickets and they stampede to the box office, waving their money. Metaphorically speaking”
--Elizabeth McCoy, In Nomine Line Editor

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:54 AM   #23
JCD
 
JCD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Birthplace of the Worst Pizza on the Planet
Default Re: House Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
Duty

Mechanically, this is a weaker version of Blessed. Mortals who take this advantage may double their Will when asked to do something that would violate their Duty. The Duty must have a specific application: "Duty to my family," "Duty to the law," "Duty to my fiancee," and so on are all appropriate. A policeman with the appropriate Duty, for example, would be harder to talk out of a traffic ticket. A husband with Duty to his wife would be more difficult for that Lilim of Andre to seduce. (Of course not all policemen -- or all husbands! -- necessarily have a Duty in game terms.)

Note that OUTSIDE the Duty area, their Will remains normal. Seducing the policeman into betraying his wife may still be perfectly achievable ....
Hmm. You could just expand the 'Servant' rules in LS to apply to others. Thus a cop who is a 'servant' to the LE community has a resistance bonus according to how dedicated he is. A 'Duty'/1 would be Barney Fife. A Duty/6 would be a psychocop. The guy who doesn't go to his mom's funeral because it's his shift.
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:58 AM   #24
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Longmont, CO
Default Re: House Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD View Post
Hmm. You could just expand the 'Servant' rules in LS to apply to others. Thus a cop who is a 'servant' to the LE community has a resistance bonus according to how dedicated he is. A 'Duty'/1 would be Barney Fife. A Duty/6 would be a psychocop. The guy who doesn't go to his mom's funeral because it's his shift.
That works, too. Thanks!

The area of "duty" just seemed to need exploration. It hit me during a session where one PC was "coming on" to a cop to distract him from a crime scene investigation and I started thinking, "You know, most of the real-life cops I know would be adding 'Attempt to Influence' to the charges by now ..."
__________________
“It's not railroading if you offer the PCs tickets and they stampede to the box office, waving their money. Metaphorically speaking”
--Elizabeth McCoy, In Nomine Line Editor

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:19 AM   #25
Jason
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Default Re: House Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD View Post
Hmm. You could just expand the 'Servant' rules in LS to apply to others. Thus a cop who is a 'servant' to the LE community has a resistance bonus according to how dedicated he is. A 'Duty'/1 would be Barney Fife. A Duty/6 would be a psychocop. The guy who doesn't go to his mom's funeral because it's his shift.
Interesting take. The key difference here would be that if a cop was a "Servant"
to her duty, she'd get points for it, but if "Duty" were a 5-point Advantage (a limited version of "Blessed"), it would cost points.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:24 AM   #26
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Longmont, CO
Default Re: House Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Interesting take. The key difference here would be that if a cop was a "Servant"
to her duty, she'd get points for it, but if "Duty" were a 5-point Advantage (a limited version of "Blessed"), it would cost points.
I guess which version you use in the end would depend on how you plan to use it:

1) Primarily as a way to better resist PCs and make mortals tougher. (Overall advantage)

2) Primarily as a way to give NPCs a life they can be forced to attend to at inconvenient times, with the Will boost as a positive side effect. (Overall disadvantage)
__________________
“It's not railroading if you offer the PCs tickets and they stampede to the box office, waving their money. Metaphorically speaking”
--Elizabeth McCoy, In Nomine Line Editor

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:58 PM   #27
Azel
 
Azel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: South of the Town across from the City by the Bay
Default Re: House Rules

Consolidating Low Level Skill Rolls within a Chain of Rolls

low lvl skill = 1 to 2
mid lvl skill = 3 to 4
high lvl skill = 5 to 6

I am curious what people think about consolidating low lvl skills as an auto success when used within a chain of skill rolls. Sometimes I get lazy and I find rolling out multiple rolls tedious. But particularly when two (or more) skill checks are done and the first is really only needed for a CD mod for a latter check's CD.

i.e. Know: Local Area rolled with its CD then added to subsequent Driving check CD.

But low lvl skills tend to not do so well on average (depending they can get over the saddle point hump of 7), and players at times become risk averse, thus staying only on their strongest skills. Also, it's often just extra busy work to make two rolls. Instead, I'm thinking of skipping 1st skill check of the chain -- if the skill is low lvl -- and then just roll over its value as the CD mod to the following skill in the chain.

i.e. Know: Local Area/2, assume success and add 2 to the CD (for better or worse, a la the Risk mechanic) of the Driving/x skill check. Pass or fail, Driving results in CD+2.

Or one could just add those low lvl skills towards skill check Target Numbers. Could be an interesting way to encourage skill diversity, if GM allows such chaining. So you could have players attempt complex tasks, like Tracking someone by Driving through Local Area, even if they have low levels in each skill. Naturally the GM would have to OK it. The challenge is which stat attribute to roll, but I'd be tempted to allow the highest stat.

i.e. Tracking/1, Driving/2, Know:Local Area/1 = 1 + 2 + 1 = +4 to TN roll. Thus roll against highest stat + tallied skills, instead of 3 rolls of relevant realm stat + individual skill and carrying over the CD.

Thoughts? Foreseen problems?
Azel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:28 AM   #28
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Longmont, CO
Default Re: House Rules

One house rule came to mind while I was considering the unstoppable nature of Malakim. The Choir has the unique ability of surviving Corporeal death without Trauma ... but if the player hasn't thought ahead to buy an extra vessel, that still means a lot of delays in getting back to action, delays that a Superior would probably rather avoid.

So, my own proposed house rule:

Fleet of Vessels
A starting Malakite has a number of spare vessels equal to his Corporeal Forces. These Vessels can only be accessed one at a time, and only after a previous vessel has "snuffed it." They are not otherwise accessible on Earth via a Body Bag or any other means unless the player specifically pays points for another vessel.

With this in place, Hell has reason to fear the "Terminator trick." But since the vessels aren't endless, a Virtue does have to keep his resources in mind ... and possibly account for them to a Superior if he spends them foolishly.
__________________
“It's not railroading if you offer the PCs tickets and they stampede to the box office, waving their money. Metaphorically speaking”
--Elizabeth McCoy, In Nomine Line Editor

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:53 PM   #29
tHEhERETIC
 
tHEhERETIC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Life imitates art--I'm in Pohang
Default Re: House Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
One house rule came to mind while I was considering the unstoppable nature of Malakim. The Choir has the unique ability of surviving Corporeal death without Trauma ... but if the player hasn't thought ahead to buy an extra vessel, that still means a lot of delays in getting back to action, delays that a Superior would probably rather avoid.

So, my own proposed house rule:

Fleet of Vessels
A starting Malakite has a number of spare vessels equal to his Corporeal Forces. These Vessels can only be accessed one at a time, and only after a previous vessel has "snuffed it." They are not otherwise accessible on Earth via a Body Bag or any other means unless the player specifically pays points for another vessel.

With this in place, Hell has reason to fear the "Terminator trick." But since the vessels aren't endless, a Virtue does have to keep his resources in mind ... and possibly account for them to a Superior if he spends them foolishly.
LOL you should have kept your over-honorable mouth shut. }:) Like I've kept track of vessels?
__________________
Criminy...these two have enough issues, they can sell subscriptions! (ladyarcana55, in a PM)
tHEhERETIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:25 PM   #30
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Longmont, CO
Default Re: House Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEhERETIC View Post
LOL you should have kept your over-honorable mouth shut. }:) Like I've kept track of vessels?
LOL.

What can I say? Like my character, I'm too honest for my own good most of the time. Besides, it was too cool a house rule to keep to myself ... especially if I could win over a GM or two to the possibilities. :D
__________________
“It's not railroading if you offer the PCs tickets and they stampede to the box office, waving their money. Metaphorically speaking”
--Elizabeth McCoy, In Nomine Line Editor

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
rules

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.