Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > The Network > GURPS Character Assistant

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2014, 09:42 AM   #71
ianthealy
 
Join Date: May 2014
Default Re: GURPS Character Assistant under Wine for Linux

I installed hplip and hpcups and my Quickview is working fine, but I still can't generate an export file or print preview of anything other than a blank page. Ideally, I'd like to print to pdf instead of dead tree copies, but I can't even export a .txt with any data.
ianthealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:57 PM   #72
tantric
Banned
 
tantric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Athens, GA
Default Re: GURPS Character Assistant under Wine for Linux

Did you go into systems settings and see the PDF printer? Can you see it at all and print a test page? Also check the web admin page: http://localhost:631 and see if it works.


When you're in GCA and try to print, make sure you check the 'print to file' box. Your page will be in drive_c/Program Files/GURPS Character Assistant 4/. Normally it goes in your home/PDF/ folder.

So, you don't see the Skills bar in the wrong place in Quickview? Which version of wine are you using?

PM me if this doesn't work

Last edited by tantric; 06-23-2014 at 12:17 AM.
tantric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 02:16 PM   #73
tantric
Banned
 
tantric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Athens, GA
Default Re: GURPS Character Assistant under Wine for Linux

As I'm upgrading, how critical is it to use Wine1.3/1.4 instead of the current version? Does it help any to upgrade?
tantric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:13 PM   #74
ianthealy
 
Join Date: May 2014
Default Re: GURPS Character Assistant under Wine for Linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantric View Post
Did you go into systems settings and see the PDF printer? Can you see it at all and print a test page? Also check the web admin page: http://localhost:631 and see if it works.
I can see the PDF printer, I can print a test page that isn't blank. The web admin page link is valid.

Quote:
When you're in GCA and try to print, make sure you check the 'print to file' box. Your page will be in drive_c/Program Files/GURPS Character Assistant 4/. Normally it goes in your home/PDF/ folder.
Doing this works fine, except the output PDF is completely blank. If it were a physical printer, it would have output an empty sheet of paper.

Quote:
So, you don't see the Skills bar in the wrong place in Quickview? Which version of wine are you using?

PM me if this doesn't work
The Skills bar is in the right hand column beneath the Reaction Modifiers box, but I don't see how that is relevant to my output file issue. I'm using WINE 1.6.2 with WineTricks installed.
ianthealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:21 PM   #75
panton41
 
panton41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Jeffersonville, Ind.
Default Re: GURPS Character Assistant under Wine for Linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantric View Post
As I'm upgrading, how critical is it to use Wine1.3/1.4 instead of the current version? Does it help any to upgrade?
Read what I said above. It works about the same as always with the latest version, which is about 80% of the functionality of running it on Windows.
__________________
The user formerly known as ciaran_skye.

__________________

Quirks: Doesn't proofread forum posts before clicking "Submit". [-1]

My ebook page.

Quote:
"My mace speaks Goblin." Antoni Ten Monros
panton41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:13 PM   #76
tantric
Banned
 
tantric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Athens, GA
Default Re: GURPS Character Assistant under Wine for Linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianthealy View Post
I can see the PDF printer, I can print a test page that isn't blank. The web admin page link is valid.



Doing this works fine, except the output PDF is completely blank. If it were a physical printer, it would have output an empty sheet of paper.



The Skills bar is in the right hand column beneath the Reaction Modifiers box, but I don't see how that is relevant to my output file issue. I'm using WINE 1.6.2 with WineTricks installed.
So the problem is with GCA? I seem to remember I couldn't print until I installed wine1.3, which is a *bitch*. Can you export a text file? Do you have Wine Gecko? No idea what it is, but it helps. I recently ungraded to Ubuntu 14.10 and I flat copied my .wine folder then installed wine1.4 and winetricks. It works, so perhaps if worse comes to worst, I'll send you a copy of my .wine folder....

Last edited by tantric; 07-07-2014 at 12:19 PM.
tantric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 12:24 PM   #77
ianthealy
 
Join Date: May 2014
Default Re: GURPS Character Assistant under Wine for Linux

Quote:
So the problem is with GCA? I seem to remember I couldn't print until I installed wine1.3, which is a *bitch*. Can you export a text file? Do you have Wine Gecko? No idea what it is, but it helps. I recently ungraded to Ubuntu 14.10 and I flat copied my .wine folder then installed wine1.4 and winetricks. It works, so perhaps if worse comes to worst, I'll send you a copy of my .wine folder....
The rest of GCA functions perfectly as far as I can tell. I cannot export any kind of file except the XML. I've tried exporting TXT, RTF, and HTML and the file fails to appear in the designated area. It's like GCA isn't manifesting the file at all. I have Wine Gecko installed.

We might try copying your .wine folder and seeing if the problem is in my installation.
ianthealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 01:19 PM   #78
Armin
 
Armin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Default Re: GURPS Character Assistant under Wine for Linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianthealy View Post
The rest of GCA functions perfectly as far as I can tell. I cannot export any kind of file except the XML. I've tried exporting TXT, RTF, and HTML and the file fails to appear in the designated area. It's like GCA isn't manifesting the file at all. I have Wine Gecko installed.
I can't help you at all with the Linux or Wine stuff, but I can tell you this: All the export filters work through the Print/Preview engine, except the XML export. So whatever is causing your Print/Preview to not work is apparently affecting exports as well, which is kinda logical.

What doesn't make sense to me, though, is that the Print/Preview is exactly the same control as the QuickView, which is working for you. If one works, they should both work.
__________________
Armin D. Sykes | GCA Prime
My GCA page | The GCA Wiki
Armin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 03:16 AM   #79
Gef
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Yucca Valley, CA
Default Re: GURPS Character Assistant under Wine for Linux

New computer, new install of GCA under wine. Early version worked fine, ran the update, then crash on "Default set of User files doesn't appear to exist. Creating them."

2 lines above says, "Base Documents Folder = ::{450d8fba-ad25-11d0-98a8-0800361b1103}\GURPS Character Assistant 4\"

The crash box reports "Run-time error '76': Path not found"

Ironically, the files do exist, salvaged from my old hard drive. The live in the documents directory of my windows partition, and I have it symlinked to be the same in my home partition in linux, and also the same in the user directory of the "c drive" created by wine. How can I tell GCA where to find it?

Is there some environment variable it reads to get this {450d8fba-ad25-11d0-98a8-0800361b1103}?

Thanks,

GEF
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 12:29 PM   #80
Armin
 
Armin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Default Re: GURPS Character Assistant under Wine for Linux

GCA makes a windows system call to get various folders, including My Documents.

If your GCA.INI file is being created correctly*, you should be able to edit it to reference the right folders in the UserFolders section. Mine looks like this:

Code:
[UserFolders]
BaseMyDocsFolder=C:\Users\Armin\Documents\GURPS Character Assistant 4\
FolderDataFilesUSER=C:\Users\Armin\Documents\GURPS Character Assistant 4\data files\
FolderDataSets=C:\Users\Armin\Documents\GURPS Character Assistant 4\data sets\
FolderCharacters=C:\Users\Armin\Documents\GURPS Character Assistant 4\characters\
FolderSheets=C:\Users\Armin\Documents\GURPS Character Assistant 4\sheets\
* My GCA.INI is found in this folder on Win7, for example: C:\Users\Armin\AppData\Roaming\Steve Jackson Games\GURPS Character Assistant 4
__________________
Armin D. Sykes | GCA Prime
My GCA page | The GCA Wiki
Armin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
linux

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.