Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 01-17-2010, 07:05 AM   #1
kadjabump

Default Giant Cockroach and half breed

Howdy. Noob to munchkin and totally loving it. Hope this isn't a dumb question...

A situation came up last night where a Half-Breed Elf/Human (that is, Half-Breed with only the Elf card down) opened the door and met a Giant Cockroach. Giant Cockroach has +5 against Elves or Humans. There was a disagreement about what this meant.

1) Her half-breed Elf prevented the +5 disadvantage altogether (only 1 race card).

2) Her half-breed Elf saved her from the Elf disadvantage, but the monster still got the "+5 against Humans" buff.

Since its my game and I was arguing for #2, we went with that. Was that the right call?
kadjabump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:15 AM   #2
koganei

Default Re: Giant Cockroach and half breed

The half-breed card says you can have the advantages AND disadvantages of both races or have the advantages of one race and none of its disadvantages.
Since you said this player was half human half elf, I'm assuming that means they chose the former.
Since the monster has +5 against humans or elves, that players suffers it since they are both. It doesn't turn into +10 because they are both, the condition only applies once.

If they had chosen to be elf with none of its disadvantages instead, they wouldn't suffer the +5.
koganei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:24 AM   #3
kadjabump

Thanks for such a speedy reply Koganei! To elaborate on my thinking...

The Half-breed card says "or, you may have one Race card and have all of its advantages and none of its disadvantages."

The FAQ says when you have Half-breed and once Race card, you are half-human. Doesn't seem to imply that you get a choice in the matter.

In this case, the player had only one Race card (Elf). So we interpreted that as having "none of it's disadvantages." That is, none of the Elf's disadvantages. But she does get Human disadvantages.

So it seems like you and I ended up at the same result (+5) but for different reasons :)

any flaws in my interpretation here?
kadjabump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:50 AM   #4
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadjabump View Post
Thanks for such a speedy reply Koganei! To elaborate on my thinking...

The Half-breed card says "or, you may have one Race card and have all of its advantages and none of its disadvantages."

The FAQ says when you have Half-breed and once Race card, you are half-human. Doesn't seem to imply that you get a choice in the matter.

In this case, the player had only one Race card (Elf). So we interpreted that as having "none of it's disadvantages." That is, none of the Elf's disadvantages. But she does get Human disadvantages.

So it seems like you and I ended up at the same result (+5) but for different reasons :)

any flaws in my interpretation here?
Yes. There is no bonus to the Giant Cockroach. You are a Half Breed with only one Race, so you are not Human (no +5 there), but you do not get any disadvantages of the single Race (Elf, in this case, so no +5 there).
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:52 AM   #5
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by koganei View Post
The half-breed card says you can have the advantages AND disadvantages of both races or have the advantages of one race and none of its disadvantages.
Since you said this player was half human half elf, I'm assuming that means they chose the former.
Since the monster has +5 against humans or elves, that players suffers it since they are both. It doesn't turn into +10 because they are both, the condition only applies once.

If they had chosen to be elf with none of its disadvantages instead, they wouldn't suffer the +5.
Half Breed doesn't work that way. If you play one Race with half breed, the other half is always human, but since you're not pure Human, you never suffer any Human disadvantages. You can't choose to be only half Elf and half nothing, as your post would imply.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 03:12 PM   #6
koganei

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
Half Breed doesn't work that way. If you play one Race with half breed, the other half is always human, but since you're not pure Human, you never suffer any Human disadvantages. You can't choose to be only half Elf and half nothing, as your post would imply.
So if I was half human half elf, bonuses AGAINST humans or elves would not affect me, but I would still gain bonuses FOR humans or elves?
But if I was half dwarf half elf, then bonuses for or against dwarves or elves would both affect me?
Old 01-17-2010, 07:09 PM   #7
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
So if I was half human half elf, bonuses AGAINST humans or elves would not affect me, but I would still gain bonuses FOR humans or elves?
You would not gain bonuses for humans, IMO.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:37 PM   #8
Jarlaxle

Quote:
But if I was half dwarf half elf, then bonuses for or against dwarves or elves would both affect me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
Wow that seems a bit off to me. Why the half human distiction then? And I know the card says it but why could a HALF Elf HALF Human, get bonuses for Elves but not Humans? Not trying to argue with your ruling, I'm just trying to understand it.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:39 PM   #9
koganei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
Wouldn't the "have all of its advantages and none of its disadvantages" part apply to the human half as well though?
Old 01-17-2010, 09:44 PM   #10
Jarlaxle

Quote:
Wouldn't the "have all of its advantages and none of its disadvantages" part apply to the human half as well though?
That's what I was thinking as well. It just doesn't seem to fit.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
giant cockroach, half-breed