Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 12-23-2009, 05:02 PM   #1
Yukimura

Default Rule Questions about items.

Hey there!
I'm new to Munchkin. I am currently in New Zealand but originally from Germany. I bought Munchkin here and I've got some questions about it.

When I use a one-shot-card, like the pretty balloons and equip it to my character, how long does it stay? Until it gets removed by another card or does it only last one round?

Can I put an item town which i actually cannot carry and use its bonus to not have to give it away by charity? Like let's say I am wearing a Bow with ribbons as an elf. I have no hand left. Can I put an eleven foot pole down on the table and turn it sideways to indicate that I do not use it just that i dont have to give it away by charity? Or what does that rule "indicate items not being used by turning them sideways' mean?

That's all for now,
cheers,
Yukimura
Yukimura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 05:47 PM   #2
Patch

Default Re: Rule Questions about items.

One shot items, unless they state otherwise on the card (such as cards from the Fairy Dust pack) get discarded after use.

Most one shot cards, you hold in your hand, or in your backpack, and use during a combat as a one time boost.

Could you by chance post the text from the Pretty Balloons card? I really don't feel like going through my giant Munchkin collection to find one card.

Yes, you can carry items, so they don't take up your hand limit. Just as you said, place them sideways in front of you, and you don't gain the bonus from them. You can do this with any item that lists a gold value, even if it says 0, and with as many as you would like, but you cannot carry more than one big item at a time.

Hope that helps some.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:47 PM   #3
MunchkinMan

Please, please, PLEASE do not use terms like "backpack" with new players unless you're going to describe that it is an unofficial term you are personally using to refer to the Items that you are carrying but not currently using. The rules make no reference to such a thing and to throw about such a term as if it were a legitimate, official term creates more trouble than you could ever imagine.

Secondly, don't post the whole text of a card, nor request that someone do so.

And finally, an answer to the original question:

The two most basic one-shot cards are one-shot Items (say "usable once only" on them) and Monster Enhancers. A one-shot Item, like Pretty Balloons, can be carried because, after all, it's an Item. They can be used in any combat, regardless of whether from your hand or from your carried Items on the table, and are discarded when the combat is over. Monster Enhancers and cards like Mate, can only be played from your hand, and are also discarded when the combat is over.

Also, I believe you are confusing the terms "carry" and "use" in the game sense. To carry an Item is to have it in play. You can carry any number of small Items and one Big one. This means that you can carry the Bow With Ribbons and carry the Eleven Foot Pole without problem. You can not, however use (derive a bonus or special ability from an Item during combat) both unless you have other cards which would allow you to (like Cheat!). Pick which Item you are using and turn sideways the ones you are not using. That is exactly what the rule you're asking about means. Now, if, for some reason, you cannot carry an Item, you can't put it into play, since that is what "carry" means. An example of this would be a second Big Item.
MiB #1029

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 12-23-2009 at 10:54 PM.
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 12:57 AM   #4
Yukimura

Hey there again!

Thanks for your help! That helped a lot!
I've got one more question:
The rules say when I'm a Wizard I can use the Staff of Napalm and when I stop being a Wizard I have to give it to the lowest level player who can use it or sell it if it's my turn because I am not allowed to do so anymore. That I am not allowed to do so anymore makes perfectly sense, because it's written on the card. lol
But why can't I just turn the card sideways and just carry it with me and not use it anymore?

Next question:
I use an Hireling enhancer. Can I sell it when I already put it with my hireling? Can somebody steal it with theft? And can I loose it due to a curse?
Yukimura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 05:45 AM   #5
MunchkinMan

Okay, so you asked two questions in your follow up, the second of which really isn't related to the first one or the original question, so I'm not going to answer it here. In the future, create new threads for multiple unrelated, questions, and make sure that your follow ups are related to your initial question.

Where is it in the rules that tell you that you must get rid of the Staff of Napalm if you stop being a Wizard? The rules, through all its iterations and updates, have never said that, to my recollection and I'm interested in knowing what, exactly, you might be misinterpreting. The only thing that's close is if you are a Dwarf and have two or more Big Items and stop being a Dwarf, and that's because you are only normally allowed to carry one Big Item.

Now, if in combat, you stop being a Wizard and are using the Staff of Napalm, you no longer get a bonus from it, but you also can not stop "using" it and try to replace it with another Item you can use. Once you've started combat, the state of Items you have in play can't change, and the only new Items you can play on your turn during combat are one-shot Items.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 08:23 PM   #6
capnq

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
Please, please, PLEASE do not use terms like "backpack" with new players unless you're going to describe that it is an unofficial term you are personally using to refer to the Items that you are carrying but not currently using. The rules make no reference to such a thing and to throw about such a term as if it were a legitimate, official term creates more trouble than you could ever imagine.
Munchkin Cthulhu has a "Curse! Backpack Eaten" card. I assume that's where the usage came from, unless other sets have a similar card.

When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. -- Mark Twain
capnq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 12:55 AM   #7
Patch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
Sorry MM, next time I'll say, "official ambiguous unnamed space in front of you." :P
Old 12-27-2009, 09:20 AM   #8
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnq View Post
Munchkin Cthulhu has a "Curse! Backpack Eaten" card. I assume that's where the usage came from, unless other sets have a similar card.
No, it was in informal use before then.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:20 AM   #9
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Sorry MM, next time I'll say, "official ambiguous unnamed space in front of you." :P
You might want to reread your sig. The request wasn't not to use the term, it was not to use the term without explaining it.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote