Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2009, 07:13 PM   #21
tHEhERETIC
 
tHEhERETIC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Life imitates art--I'm in Pohang
Default Re: Anything going on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD View Post
I find it allows some perspective and give the GM time to consider things more sedately. When one needs to make a decision in 3 seconds, sometimes you miss the obvious connections. Structurally, it seems easier. One can link images, which help in many big ways

Combat, of course, drags things down terribly


YMMV
I liked mine best when we could meet in chat once a month and get through combatty things that way. Sadly time zones and work schedules--that hasn't worked out for nearly a year now. :(
__________________
Criminy...these two have enough issues, they can sell subscriptions! (ladyarcana55, in a PM)
tHEhERETIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:32 AM   #22
JCD
 
JCD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Birthplace of the Worst Pizza on the Planet
Default Re: Anything going on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEhERETIC View Post
I liked mine best when we could meet in chat once a month and get through combatty things that way. Sadly time zones and work schedules--that hasn't worked out for nearly a year now. :(
That seems to embody the best of both worlds. If and when the players won't IM, I tend to try to arrange meeting times so we can check for replies every 5 minutes or so, which also seems to work.

Another benefit of the online system is that those dreaded private conversations with one player can be accomplished a) in actual private and b) don't keep the rest of the group waiting for a half an hour, getting bored and distracted.

But back to the main point. Andygal, Scissors, attercap etc are all wondering about games. Seems that that is more then enough to start one, particularly if you can get a couple of regulars to join in.
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 01:19 AM   #23
tHEhERETIC
 
tHEhERETIC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Life imitates art--I'm in Pohang
Default Re: Anything going on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD View Post
That seems to embody the best of both worlds. If and when the players won't IM, I tend to try to arrange meeting times so we can check for replies every 5 minutes or so, which also seems to work.

Another benefit of the online system is that those dreaded private conversations with one player can be accomplished a) in actual private and b) don't keep the rest of the group waiting for a half an hour, getting bored and distracted.

But back to the main point. Andygal, Scissors, attercap etc are all wondering about games. Seems that that is more then enough to start one, particularly if you can get a couple of regulars to join in.
My energies right now are MHC and real life. However, there's a subplot of MHC that could use players for mortals, and a different one that would need players to play Archangels.
__________________
Criminy...these two have enough issues, they can sell subscriptions! (ladyarcana55, in a PM)
tHEhERETIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:04 PM   #24
Acolyte
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Seattle
Default Re: Anything going on?

*lights candles*

I'm actually running a chat-based game of IN right now, and we're all having a blast (despite all of the players being new to IN and one practically an RPG virgin). We use non-GURPS, and I am not actually a fan of GIN at all. The book had a few useful bits in it (Bright Lilim), some bits that annoyed me (too much info about the Grigori), and a ruleset I didn't appreciate. The non-GURPS rules aren't perfect and require both GM and players to be flexible to the story, but that's not hard in a good group.

I think chatbased is optimal for IN. Forum/PBEM suffers so much from slowness and makes rules-intensive bits (combat or other skill-heavy scenes like detective work) impossible. Making a hybrid to use chat for combat leads to having to pause the game while working out a schedule, sometimes for weeks at a time. Face to face is very hard to keep up with as a GM, especially with angelic resonances, and RPing someone like Gabriel is a challenge we're not always up to. A regular chat-based game can get a lot done in a few hours and is less plagued by absence issues because it has a regular timeslot, but still gives everyone enough time to RP well.

I wish that the new IN products had a physical copy option. I'd probably buy Lilith, then. As it is, I have almost every In Nomine book (never gonna touch IN: Anime, and I found a sacred rare copy of the Ethereal Player's Guide just a few months ago at a seedy Seattle used bookstore) and would like to further support the line...but I dislike gaming pdfs. That said, if buying them would lead to more of them...maybe I'll do it. There need to be more IN books. More. More. More.
__________________
“The world is going to Hell in a hand-basket, but I’ve got Good News: I saved my soul by switching to Heaven.”
—Baruel, former Djinn of the Media, now Cherub of Destiny and the Angel of Good News
Acolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:10 AM   #25
Attercap
 
Attercap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Default Re: Anything going on?

I'm not a big fan of gaming with PDFs, either. But that's why I print them out and bind them. It's worth the extra charge at my friendly local copy shop.
__________________
Attercap.Net - A new RPG-related post every Monday, plus more!
Attercap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 04:40 PM   #26
robkelk
Untitled
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: between keyboard and chair
Default Re: Anything going on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acolyte View Post
I wish that the new IN products had a physical copy option. I'd probably buy Lilith, then. As it is, I have almost every In Nomine book (never gonna touch IN: Anime, and I found a sacred rare copy of the Ethereal Player's Guide just a few months ago at a seedy Seattle used bookstore) and would like to further support the line...but I dislike gaming pdfs. That said, if buying them would lead to more of them...maybe I'll do it. There need to be more IN books. More. More. More.
The only way we're going to get any more IN books is if the current ones sell well enough that it's worth SJGames' while to add to the line. And that means buying the PDFs.

Besides, they print out real pretty, and then you can give them spill-resistant plastic covers. (And there are currently four Superiors supplements - enough for a full-sized book. Granted, I wouldn't have chosen Eli, Litheroy, Asomedus, and Lilith for Superiors 5, but that's the book I've got sitting beside the other volumes.)
__________________
Rob Kelk
“Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.”
– Bernard Baruch,
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:58 PM   #27
Acolyte
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Seattle
Default Re: Anything going on?

You make a compelling point, regarding getting new material out.

"Superiors 5: Grab Bag"
__________________
“The world is going to Hell in a hand-basket, but I’ve got Good News: I saved my soul by switching to Heaven.”
—Baruel, former Djinn of the Media, now Cherub of Destiny and the Angel of Good News
Acolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:22 PM   #28
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Longmont, CO
Default Re: Anything going on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
The only way we're going to get any more IN books is if the current ones sell well enough that it's worth SJGames' while to add to the line. And that means buying the PDFs.
Hear, hear -- I've been making an effort to snap up both PDFs and physical books for the In Nomine line as the money becomes available to "vote with my cash". (Though I'm worried that I may have been a hair too slow on Superiors 2 and 4: their "On Order" status is a little unnerving.)
__________________
“It's not railroading if you offer the PCs tickets and they stampede to the box office, waving their money. Metaphorically speaking”
--Elizabeth McCoy, In Nomine Line Editor

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
meta

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.