Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2009, 12:53 PM   #41
Not another shrubbery
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default Re: Phantom abilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2
Just the opposite. I'm saying Phantom is worthless if it can. If it is solid to non-sentients then it will be easily destroyed before it can even attack. The advantage it has over Creations is that it is invulnerable until it gets within touching distances.
Ah... Thanks. I wasn't reading it that way, but I agree with the idea. Not that that invulnerability is the only advantage that Phantom has: it also has easier requirements, and is much more flexible as an Area spell and an Illusion than the Creations. Really, I think it's another example of the sort of stuff that people disliked about the spells from Grimoire.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:56 PM   #42
David Johnston2
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Default Re: Phantom abilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh View Post
There are official templates for inanimate, non-sentient objects. They have IQ 0. Not having sentience is IQ 0.

Do you call things that don't cost/give points Cost-Zero, or do you claim that they somehow do not have a price at all?
I have never seen one of these templates. And while Features may be cost 0, "my character has brown eyes" is not a Feature. It does not have a price at all, because it doesn't go into the advantage/disadvantage column.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 01:16 PM   #43
Figleaf23
Banned
 
Figleaf23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Default Re: Phantom abilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Sure there is. If it wins a contest of skill versus IQ after contacting an opponent, it will be solid as far as that opponent is concerned.
And absolutely, competely, certainly not solid or effective on solid things otherwise??
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 01:25 PM   #44
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper
 
vicky_molokh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kyv, Ukraine
Default Re: Phantom abilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
I have never seen one of these templates. And while Features may be cost 0, "my character has brown eyes" is not a Feature. It does not have a price at all, because it doesn't go into the advantage/disadvantage column.
. . .

I like your logic. But . . .

BIO97 mentions that 'non-sentient [...] space trees have DX 0 and IQ 0'. There are others, but this one should suffice.
__________________
Vicky 'Molokh', GURPS FAQ and uFAQ Keeper
Also, GURPS Discord is a nice place for (faster) Q&A and overall GURPS dicussion.
vicky_molokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 01:35 PM   #45
David Johnston2
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Default Re: Phantom abilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh View Post
. . .

I like your logic. But . . .

BIO97 mentions that 'non-sentient [...] space trees have DX 0 and IQ 0'. There are others, but this one should suffice.
Those are still living creatures capable of tropisms.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 01:38 PM   #46
David Johnston2
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Default Re: Phantom abilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23 View Post
And absolutely, competely, certainly not solid or effective on solid things otherwise??
There is no indication that they are otherwise solid.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 01:50 PM   #47
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper
 
vicky_molokh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kyv, Ukraine
Default Re: Phantom abilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Those are still living creatures capable of tropisms.
Fine. 'Empty' THS cybershells have IQ 0 - they don't react to the outside environment unless you either control them or, well, possess them.
__________________
Vicky 'Molokh', GURPS FAQ and uFAQ Keeper
Also, GURPS Discord is a nice place for (faster) Q&A and overall GURPS dicussion.
vicky_molokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:09 PM   #48
David Johnston2
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Default Re: Phantom abilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh View Post
Fine. 'Empty' THS cybershells have IQ 0 - they don't react to the outside environment unless you either control them or, well, possess them.
They have a computer making them a vacant Digital Mind. I would make Digital Minds immune to any IQ resisted spell except for tech spells.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:19 PM   #49
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper
 
vicky_molokh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kyv, Ukraine
Default Re: Phantom abilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
They have a computer making them a vacant Digital Mind. I would make Digital Minds immune to any IQ resisted spell except for tech spells.
That's irrelevant to the fact that non-sentient entities are IQ 0, be they robots, trees or doors.
__________________
Vicky 'Molokh', GURPS FAQ and uFAQ Keeper
Also, GURPS Discord is a nice place for (faster) Q&A and overall GURPS dicussion.
vicky_molokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:34 PM   #50
Figleaf23
Banned
 
Figleaf23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Default Re: Phantom abilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
There is no indication that they are otherwise solid.
So they not at all capable of affecting inanimate things in any way?
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
illusion, magic, phantom

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.