Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2009, 08:05 AM   #21
carllarson
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Default Re: Unaging should be a perk

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
Hell, under the right circumstances unaging could cause you serious problems - if you don't keep out of the public eye sooner or later someone is going to burn you at the stake. Or dissect you, depending on the era.
This would generally be subsumed under Secret (Immortal). And the actions needed to protect your secret.
carllarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 08:22 AM   #22
Hannes665
 
Hannes665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Reykjavik, Iceland
Default Re: Unaging should be a perk

I have always regarded does not age like in Unaging as a racial or a character trait that does not cost pts, so maybe Perk is not a bad idea. The reason for this is that I have not yet had a game were aging is a real factor.

On the other hand if in a fantasy game a evil wizard spell (or similar) causes the unaging character to age then it does so. It is after all a spell not natural aging.

IF the PC wants a unaging character that can resist a spell or potion with this affect he must buy the Unaging advantage, really just buying a resistance to these kind of attacks.
__________________
In the Griffin World I play Agriana Trotter, here is the GURPS crunch.


Darth Vader "Luke! I am your fathers second cousins sisters best friends brother!"

Luke Skywalker "Nooo... eehh What?!"
Hannes665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 08:06 AM   #23
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper
 
vicky_molokh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kyv, Ukraine
Default Re: Unaging should be a perk

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
Playing commandos were they?
No, fantasy mages.
__________________
Vicky 'Molokh', GURPS FAQ and uFAQ Keeper
Also, GURPS Discord is a nice place for (faster) Q&A and overall GURPS dicussion.
vicky_molokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 08:35 AM   #24
Hannes665
 
Hannes665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Reykjavik, Iceland
Default Re: Unaging should be a perk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh View Post
No, fantasy mages.
So these were Fantasy Mages that went commando?! :P

That is just scary!
__________________
In the Griffin World I play Agriana Trotter, here is the GURPS crunch.


Darth Vader "Luke! I am your fathers second cousins sisters best friends brother!"

Luke Skywalker "Nooo... eehh What?!"
Hannes665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:14 AM   #25
Hans Rancke-Madsen
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Default Re: Unaging should be a perk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh View Post
I still call it 'the underwear effect', as back when I was a starting GM, one of my players, joining the campaign in progress, took underwear as an item of clothing, and I followed by deciding that since he was the first to point out such a detail, other PCs didn't.
That reminds me of an infamous episode when some of my friends were playing D&D with a new GM. Around noon of the second day of the adventure, the GM announced that since none of them had stated that they put on their boots when they got up in the morning, their feet were by now so torn up that they couldn't walk any more...


Hans
Hans Rancke-Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:53 AM   #26
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper
 
vicky_molokh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kyv, Ukraine
Default Re: Unaging should be a perk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannes665 View Post
So these were Fantasy Mages that went commando?! :P

That is just scary!
The reference is lost on me.
__________________
Vicky 'Molokh', GURPS FAQ and uFAQ Keeper
Also, GURPS Discord is a nice place for (faster) Q&A and overall GURPS dicussion.
vicky_molokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 11:31 AM   #27
RedMattis
 
RedMattis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sweden, Stockholm
Default Re: Unaging should be a perk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh View Post
The reference is lost on me.
Going Commando, the act of not wearing undergarments.

...not to be confused with a Commando. and now the joke is dead thanks to explaining it.
__________________
"Prohibit the taking of omens, and do away with superstitious doubts. Then, until death itself comes, no calamity need be feared"

Go check out our indie GameDev blog, SharkMissile Interactive! ^^
RedMattis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:38 PM   #28
bolondro2
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Default Re: Unaging should be a perk

I disagree about the mainstream line of thinking. Having the unaging advantage lets a player take long terms plans and slow approach for solving problems. And I think this is the right way. If you get an elf character, you must have a point of view about time different of the an human. If you want tho have the problems solved yesterday, you don't have an unaging point of view about time.

Don't blame the advantage for being too expensive. Blame yourself for not using it. Or for getting a unaging character with the mind of an aging character.
__________________
Not an english native speaker. So expect some mistaques ....
bolondro2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:14 PM   #29
Ulzgoroth
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Default Re: Unaging should be a perk

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolondro2 View Post
I disagree about the mainstream line of thinking. Having the unaging advantage lets a player take long terms plans and slow approach for solving problems. And I think this is the right way. If you get an elf character, you must have a point of view about time different of the an human. If you want tho have the problems solved yesterday, you don't have an unaging point of view about time.

Don't blame the advantage for being too expensive. Blame yourself for not using it. Or for getting a unaging character with the mind of an aging character.
Or for playing in a campaign where you'll never see your 500 year Xanatos Gambit come to fruition, because it's only going to span maybe a couple decades? Where you can't ignore stuff on the basis that you'll deal with it in 100 years both because the game won't visit that possibility and because the problem isn't going to be tractable if you wait that long?
__________________
I don't know any 3e, so there is no chance that I am talking about 3e rules by accident.
Ulzgoroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:48 AM   #30
vitruvian
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default Re: Unaging should be a perk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Or for playing in a campaign where you'll never see your 500 year Xanatos Gambit come to fruition, because it's only going to span maybe a couple decades? Where you can't ignore stuff on the basis that you'll deal with it in 100 years both because the game won't visit that possibility and because the problem isn't going to be tractable if you wait that long?
Yeah, for all these reasons, I can definitely see the earlier proposal of deconstructing it into -

Immunity to Aging [5] (covers both normal aging rolls and magical/powered aging attacks)
Unusual Background (Ages of Experience) [10] (Which you don't have to buy if you're a brand new immortal, e.g., Richie, you've led a resolutely mundane life with no particularly helpful skills learned, or you tend to forget stuff more than a couple of decades in the past)

frequently balanced by a Secret (Immortal) that can run into serious points, depending on whether the reaction of others would be just media attention, jail time for the records fraud you've had to engage in to be a part of modern society, or vivisection in order to learn how and why your body doesn't age...

Then just plain don't take the Unusual Background component if part of the character concept is not having any archaic weapons skills, languages, knowledge, Contacts, etc.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
advantages, house rules

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.