Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-26-2009, 02:59 PM   #1
Yami Fowl

Default Affliction with Advantages...

Hey guys,

Let's say as in the book, I get an Affliction with Warp...
The target, Warps once I deliver the affliction...
But the question is:
Who decides where to?
It is up to me?
To the subject?
To the GM?

Thanks!
DnD 3.5 on an original setting.
Planning a GURPS Sci-Fi Campaign.
Yami Fowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:17 PM   #2
Gedrin

Default Re: Affliction with Advantages...

The person wielding the power is in control. In the case of Warp, it would work once and send them to the place desired by the afflictor. Check B-36 for an example mentioning Warp, and that the afflicted person is not in control of the Advantage.
Gedrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:59 PM   #3
Captain-Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yami Fowl
Hey guys,

Let's say as in the book, I get an Affliction with Warp...
The target, Warps once I deliver the affliction...
But the question is:
Who decides where to?
It is up to me?
To the subject?
To the GM?

Thanks!
Affliction: Advantage is an attack and SUPPOSED to be hostile to the target. Specifically B.36 states advantages are NOT under the subject's control.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:50 PM   #4
Mgellis

A somewhat more flexible build would be to buy the power as an attack and also buy an alternate version (at 1/5th cost, since it would be an Alternate Ability) that is a Beneficial affliction (see Powers, p. 40, for details). If you do this, you have a choice of Warping an enemy somewhere else against his will OR Warping a friend somewhere else (and they can waive resistance, making it pretty much automatic) if they needed to go there.

In either case, however, the person with the ability would control where the subjected was Warped off to.

I hope this helps.

Mark
Mgellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:30 PM   #5
transmetahuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgellis
A somewhat more flexible build would be to buy the power as an attack and also buy an alternate version (at 1/5th cost, since it would be an Alternate Ability) that is a Beneficial affliction (see Powers, p. 40, for details). If you do this, you have a choice of Warping an enemy somewhere else against his will OR Warping a friend somewhere else (and they can waive resistance, making it pretty much automatic) if they needed to go there.

In either case, however, the person with the ability would control where the subjected was Warped off to.

I hope this helps.

Mark
Not to confuse the issue even more, but I've got one point to add to that. Powers p. 119 (under Wishes) seems to imply a third variant of Affliction (Advantage) besides regular and beneficial, which are both controlled by the character with the Affliction (except that they are automatically fully On for the duration, or instantaneous for Warp or Jumper). This variant of a beneficial Affliction would simply grant the advantage to the subject for the duration - the subject would have full control just as if he'd paid for the advantage himself.

I know it doesn't fit the strict reading of the text in Basic under Affliction favored by many forumites, but the Powers text overrides that: "...can grant any advantage..." should certainly include, for instance, Warp (Anchored, home temple) initiated by the recipient.

In my opinion this fills an important gap that a too-strict reading of the Basic stuff doesn't allow you to build.
transmetahuman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:42 PM   #6
The Benj

I agree that there should be the option of a benediction that gives control to the subject. Whether that's a 0% feature is another question.
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:45 PM   #7
Captain-Captain

At some poit this may be better built using Affects Others.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:43 PM   #8
transmetahuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Benj
I agree that there should be the option of a benediction that gives control to the subject. Whether that's a 0% feature is another question.
Maybe so. An afflicted advantage that can be controlled is more useful to the subject than one that can't, so it would be more useful to the benevolent afflictor as well.

Also, the lack of switchability and the inability to modify the parameters of an afflicted advantage after it's established are two of the reasons that people might not want to rely on self-affliction rather than paying for the advantage themselves - it only costs an extra 10 points between having an advantage, and having the ability to afflict that advantage. But the need to take an attack action, a reversed resistance roll that might fail, and the possibility of the duration running out at an inopportune time are other reasons, and would still apply.

Overall I'd agree with you, but it's not shown by that Wishes text. Personally, I'd rather go with the interpretation I originally had when I first bought Powers: Beneficial Advantage Afflictions are controllable by the subject by default. This fits both the Wishes text and the requirement for Beneficial Afflictions to be "so unquestioningly positive that no one would ever object to them" (since any advantage that's modifiable enough for this discussion to matter might be objected to by some subject if the afflictor controls the parameters). If that third option (parameters set by afflictor, but no one would ever object to any of the settings) is off the table, it becomes more of an apples and oranges comparison - the downsides of Beneficial Afflictions might be enough to balance this on its own against, erm, Potentially Malignant Afflictions.

Last edited by transmetahuman; 02-26-2009 at 11:57 PM.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:49 PM   #9
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain-Captain
At some poit this may be better built using Affects Others.
only if you want to be effect as well. Affect others does not turn off the effect on you.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:52 PM   #10
transmetahuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl
only if you want to be effect as well. Affect others does not turn off the effect on you.
It's also intended for a very very limited set of advantages.