Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Other Munchkin Games

Old 01-12-2009, 07:54 PM   #1
milord

Default Custom Speed Rules?

Can we all just post our custom-rules for speeding up the game here? Here are some that I've come across on these forums, as well as some I've added myself:

1. Start everyone with 2 Move, instead of 3.
2. Only allow 1 Move on everyone's first turn.
3. Running Away costs 1 Move (per Combat, not per monster). If you have no Move left, you automatically fail and take the Bad Stuff.
4. Spend 1 Move for any Combat that you initiate (such as by exploring a new room, or walking into a room with a monster). No Move is spent for Combat that you did not initiate (such as starting in a room with a monster in it). You cannot explore an unexplored room if you do not have 1 more Move to fight the monster that it is in it.
5. Players may not explore more than one unexplored room per turn.
6. Exploring an unexplored room takes 1 additional Move. You cannot explore an unexplored room

Got any other ideas?
milord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:04 PM   #2
alexonfyre

Default Re: Custom Speed Rules?

I used to play some of those rules, but then after play testing them I realized that while it makes turns faster, it takes longer to get levels and make progress that way, and ultimately you prolong the game and it is frustrating being done so quickly. The way I have done things, that does work:

1. Start the first turn with one move, the second turn with 2 move and the third and the rest of the game with three. (you can modify this to be every two turns gain a move as well, so that people can draw more DxMs in the beginning and more people have classes and races when the dungeon is being explored.

2. Turn timer, either:

A) Every player has 3 minutes to complete a turn (1 per move token), combats don't count towards this time, searches do. (Leniency obviously permitted from time to time.)

or

B) By general consensus, 30-seconds may be called on a player, if a player hasn't gone into combat or spent his move in 30 seconds, he forfeits the rest of his turn and goes straight to charity and monster move.

3. Each player rolls a monster move only for monsters of their own color. This prevents clustering, breaks up mobs and moves things quickly when players don't have monsters of their own.
alexonfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:21 PM   #3
O'Keefe

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexonfyre
I used to play some of those rules, but then after play testing them I realized that while it makes turns faster, it takes longer to get levels and make progress that way, and ultimately you prolong the game and it is frustrating being done so quickly.
That's why we ended up with the rules as they are printed. Limiting players options on a turn doesn't make the overall game go any faster, and makes for some boring turns. There's just a steep learning curve to climb. After a few games players turns will go quicker.

Starting everyone at 1 move first turn, or progressively upping the move each turn can speed up the first few turns, but an experienced player's first turn will usually go pretty quick even with 3 move.
will@sjgames.com
O'Keefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:18 PM   #4
milord

Yeah, I have no complaints about how long the OVERALL game takes. But when a player with 4 Move ends up exploring 4 new rooms all in the same turn, it gets a bit cumbersome. I'm interested in speeding up TURNS, not the overall length of the game.
Experienced players do (no doubt) end their turns more quickly than new players, but that doesn't mean those turns don't lag. Even though they are quicker, my group feels those turns are still not quick enough at times. I think the recurring mention of laggy turns on these forums is a strong enough voice to indicate a somewhat-common issue.
After all, how many players actually wait the regulation 2.6 seconds before moving on? And how many groups enforce that rule? I'm guessing only a relative few. A single combat can take an extremely long time (just look at the game's review on Amazon).
So while I love the official rules and do play by them each time we gather, I'd still like to consider alternative rules that might add some varying (not fixing) to gameplay.
I hope I've maintained a clear and respectful regard for the game-makers, without sounding as if I find their work needing repairs. My request for variant rules is from personal preference for customization and options.
milord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 01:00 PM   #5
rek075

Here are mine:

1. Stick with the 3 moves per turn
2. Drawing a DxM requires 1 move per card
3. Combat is 1 move
4. Buying a level is 1 move
5. Move only the monsters of your color
rek075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:39 AM   #6
JustinA

(1) Determine the Quest Master by rolling the dice. The player with the highest result is the Quest Master. (In the case of ties, roll until the tie is broken.)

(2) At the beginning of the game or at the end of any monster movement phase, the player with the most green feet (movement points) takes a turn. In the case of ties, start at the Quest Master and go clockwise.

(3) On their turn, in addition to all of the other actions allowed by the rules (playing cards, combat, etc.), a player can take any ONE action which requires the use of movement points. Their turn then ends and is followed by a monster movement.

(4) If all of the movement points at the table have been spent at the end of a monster movement, then all of the movement points are flipped back to green.

Kudos to Quaff_fu for proposing the term "Quest Master" the last time I posted these rules.

These rules keep the total length of the game the same, but shortens the wait each player experiences between being able to take a turn. Plus, the rules offer new tactical options without removing any of the old tactical options.

The only significant change is that the monsters will be moving more frequently compared to the players. Since my group also found that the monsters rarely moved, this wasn't a problem for us. However, if you don't like this change, simply rule that a monster movement phase only happens when someone runs out movement points.