Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Warehouse 23 > Warehouse 23 Digital

Old 09-27-2012, 02:45 PM   #1
Steven Marsh

Default [New Release] GURPS Classic: Magic Items 3

Don your wizard's hat and robe for GURPS Classic: Magic Items 3. Or if that seems unsuitable for your campaign, round up the posse and don your 10-gallon hat . . . or ready your starship for interstellar exploration. Magic Items 3 includes arcane items suitable for all types of campaigns, from low-tech to the space age -- and beyond! You'll never look at the impossible the same way again!
Steven Marsh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:49 PM   #2
Mateus

Default Re: [New Release] GURPS Classic: Magic Items 3

I have the other 2 books. I definitly will buy this also =)
Old 10-01-2012, 05:45 AM   #3
Phil Masters

I think this is the most interesting of the three MI books, and not just because I contributed to it. Whereas 1 and 2 are almost entirely stuff for genre fantasy games, 3 has material for all sorts of diverse settings, obscure and weird one-off items, and so on.
Discworld Roleplaying Game author, Transhuman Space Line Editor.
My Home Page.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:56 AM   #4
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
I think this is the most interesting of the three MI books, and not just because I contributed to it. Whereas 1 and 2 are almost entirely stuff for genre fantasy games, 3 has material for all sorts of diverse settings, obscure and weird one-off items, and so on.
I found all 3 volumes extremely uninteresting, since each is 128 pages of speshul case items, not broken down into their component Enchantments so that player characters can reproduce them.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:44 AM   #5
Phil Masters

Yeah. Good luck helping your players build magic item factories to crank out asses' jawbones that may or may not have been used by a goblin version of Samson, or dead angels hand-crafted into spacecraft by deranged wizards.
Discworld Roleplaying Game author, Transhuman Space Line Editor.
My Home Page.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:43 PM   #6
malloyd

Quote:
Yeah. Good luck helping your players build magic item factories to crank out asses' jawbones that may or may not have been used by a goblin version of Samson, or dead angels hand-crafted into spacecraft by deranged wizards.
I dunno, an expedition to slaughter some angels to use their bodies as spacecraft components fits right in to some FRPG styles....
Old 10-02-2012, 12:57 PM   #7
Anthony

Quote:
Err.. why? Seems like a perfectly interesting storyline to me.

My problem with the MI series is that it was a bunch of items that pretended to be usable with the default Magic system but didn't actually make sense within the paradigm of GURPS Magic. To a significant degree this is a problem with GURPS Magic, but it made the series as a whole rather useless.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:06 PM   #8
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
My problem with the MI series is that it was a bunch of items that pretended to be usable with the default Magic system but didn't actually make sense within the paradigm of GURPS Magic. To a significant degree this is a problem with GURPS Magic, but it made the series as a whole rather useless.
Alternately, it makes the whole series vastly more useful than catalog of stuff that you could build with the GURPS Magic rules, since such a catalog would be rather useless.

The thing is the rules for enchanting in GURPS Magic more or less by definition produce boring items. In order to make magic items interesting enough to be worth a supplement they are going to have to do stuff that *isn't* in the enchantment system, because the enchantment system produces stuff that does exactly the same thing as the spells which you already have descriptions for. In order to make enchanted objects interesting, they need to do something new.

This is a slightly different problem from, but closely related to, the fact that playing a GURPS enchanter is itself not too interesting. GURPS enchanted objects mostly do something you already have a spell for, why not just cast the spell? In order to make enchanting interesting, you need rules that can produce items that can do new stuff. Admittedly these could still be effects of described spells, as long as they're spells the enchanter *can't* already cast, so a catalog wouldn't be totally useless with a system like this. And these don't need to be improvements necessarily, compare powerstone quirks, which are GURPS closest approach, but more of the same is dull.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:19 AM   #9
Michele

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
I found all 3 volumes extremely uninteresting, since each is 128 pages of speshul case items, not broken down into their component Enchantments so that player characters can reproduce them.
It's a pretty much established trope of fantasy and other genres that magic items are by definition special cases. They were forged ages ago by exceptionally powerful wizards, were lost and found, had a secret Achilles' heel, etc.
Lots of fantasy source materials do not provide the heroes or even the average non-protagonist characters with the ability to enchant things. Or even non-average NPCs. Sauron himself could not produce a new Palantír.

Then, of course, we also have the +1 sword and such more ordinary fare.

But, within GURPS, you can still have both worlds. You can have a PC or important NPC who can enchant according to the standard rules, and churn out "ordinary" magic items; a Dark Vision wand can often be very useful. It is also... after a while... well... a bit boring.
Now, adding the GURPS Magic Items books, you can also have the kind of magic item that's part of lore and legend; the kind of uniquely powerful object for which armies fight. And yes, it's unlikely that PCs can reproduce it.

OK, disclaimer. I contributed to one of those books and I'm pretty satisfied with my contributions. I admit it.