Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-25-2008, 11:48 PM   #1
mjj1976
Banned

Default List of Talents?

Is there a list of Talents with page references? Searching for terms like "talent list" and "talent index" didn't provide any good results, nor did searching for particular talent names.
mjj1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 01:02 AM   #2
Pericles

Default Re: List of Talents?

There's a decent list on p89-91Basic set-Characters
Old 10-26-2008, 01:46 AM   #3
Captain-Captain

There have been a lot of new talents since Characters, I think he's looking for a comprehensive list.

If he (or you) have GCA, you can compile a pretty up to date one by loading the .gdf files into a BIG data set and going to Talents in the Advantages section, and getting to the advanced editing page. Page numbers will be listed.

THis is without question a lot of work however.

Edit: Actually ask about this over on the GCA board. The .gdf files are essentially database files you may be able to copy them (so as not to mess up the originals) and load them into a database to sort out talent name and page references only.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 04:15 AM   #4
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

I compiled about half of them into my GCB datasheet. But then again, I didn't do that to the books I don't use (e.g. T:ISW).
Old 10-26-2008, 11:07 AM   #5
mjj1976
Banned

Yes, I meant something more along the lines of a 'sticky post' Talent Index to help those who can't remember which of the dozen or so books contains a given Talent. For example, I know of "Born War Leader" (though even now I forget where it was), but I think there was another talent offering similar effects, for which I can't remember the name and am having difficulty locating in the books.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:28 AM   #6
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjj1976
Yes, I meant something more along the lines of a 'sticky post' Talent Index to help those who can't remember which of the dozen or so books contains a given Talent. For example, I know of "Born War Leader" (though even now I forget where it was), but I think there was another talent offering similar effects, for which I can't remember the name and am having difficulty locating in the books.
If you want me to make the list now, you're out of luck: I'm trying to get myself and my players ready for the next Saturday's first CO game.

IIRC, Born War Leader is from Banestorm, and similar Talents can be found in ISW and Fantasy.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:20 PM   #7
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Here's the compilation I've got for GCA. It's in data file format, but it's easy enough to extract the information you're looking for from it:

Code:
* Banestorm
Born War-Leader, 5/10, gives(+1 To GR:Born War-Leader), page(B89, BS184), upto(4), cat(Mundane, Mental, Talents),
	conditional(+1 to ST:Reaction),
	description(Intelligence Analysis, Leadership, Savoir-Faire (Military), Strategy, Tactics)
Close to Heaven, 5/10, gives(+1 To GR:Close to Heaven), page(B89, BS184), upto(4), cat(Mundane, Mental, Talents),
	description(Exorcism, Meditation, Religious Ritual, Ritual Magic, and Theology)
Halfling Ranged Weapon Talent, 5/10, gives(+1 To GR:Halfling Ranged Weapon Talent), page(B89, BS184), upto(4), cat(Mundane, Mental, Talents),
	description(Bow, Sling, Throwing, Thrown Weapon (Dart), Thrown Weapon (Knife), and Thrown Weapon (Stick))

* Fantasy
Allure, 5/10, gives(+1 To GR:Allure), page(B89, F132), upto(4), cat(Mundane, Mental, Talents),
	description(Dancing, Erotic Art, Makeup, Sex Appeal, Singing)
Bard, 5/10, gives(+1 To GR:Bard), page(B89, F132), upto(4), cat(Mundane, Mental, Talents),
	description(Heraldry, Literature, Musical Influence, Poetry, Public Speaking, Singing)
Devotion, 5/10, gives(+1 To GR:Devotion), page(B89, F132), upto(4), cat(Mundane, Mental, Talents),
	description(Autohypnosis, Exorcism, Meditation, Religious Ritual)
Goodwife, 5/10, gives(+1 To GR:Goodwife), page(B89, F132), upto(4), cat(Mundane, Mental, Talents),
	description(Cooking, Diagnosis, Gardening, Housekeeping, Sewing)
Mariner, 10/20, gives(+1 To GR:Mariner), page(B89, F132), upto(4), cat(Mundane, Mental, Talents),
	description(Boating, Crewman, Freight Handling, Knot-Tying, Meteorology, Navigation, Shiphandling)
Master Builder, 5/10, gives(+1 To GR:Master Builder), page(B89, F132), upto(4), cat(Mundane, Mental, Talents),
	description(Architecture, Carpentry, Engineer, Forced Entry, Masonry)
Sage, 10/20, gives(+1 To GR:Sage), page(B89, F132), upto(4), cat(Mundane, Mental, Talents),
	description(Archaeology, Expert Skill, Geography, Heraldry, Hidden Lore, History, Law, Literature, Occultism, Philosophy, Research, Theology)

* Martial Arts
Forceful Chi, 15/30, gives(+1 To GR:Forceful Chi), page(MA47), upto(4), cat(Mundane, Mental, Talents),
	description(Breaking Blow, Erotic Art, Flying Leap, Hypnotic Hands, Hypnotism, Invisibility Art, Kiai, Power Blow, Precognitive Parry, Pressure Points, Pressure Secrets, Push, Throwing Art, Zen Archery)
Inner Balance, 15/30, gives(+1 To GR:Inner Balance), page(MA47), upto(4), cat(Mundane, Mental, Talents),
	description(Autohypnosis, Blind Fighting, Body Control, Body Language, Body Sense, Breath Control, Dreaming, Immovable Stance, Light Walk, Lizard Climb, Meditation, Mental Strength, Mind Block, Sensitivity)

* Mysteries
Talker, 5/10, gives(+1 to GR:Talker), page(B89, MY108), upto(4), cat(Mundane, Mental, Talents),
	description(Detect Lies, Diplomacy, Fast-Talk, Psychology, Savoir-Faire)
Tough Guy, 5/10, gives(+1 to GR:Tough Guy), page(B89, MY108), upto(4), cat(Mundane, Mental, Talents),
	description(Fast-Talk, Forced Entry, Intimidation, Shadowing, Streetwise)
Whiz Kid, 5/10, gives(+1 to GR:Whiz Kid), page(B89, MY108), upto(4), cat(Mundane, Mental, Talents),
	description(Chemistry, Criminology, Diagnosis, Forensics, Psychology, Research)

* Space
Alien Friend, 5/10, gives(+1 To GR:Alien Friend Gives), page(S220), upto(4), cat(Mundane, Mental, Talents),
	conditional(+1 to ST:Reaction, +1 to GR:Alien Friend Conditionals when "an Alien specialty"),
	description(Anthropology (any alien culture), Diplomacy, Expert Skill (Xenology), History (any alien specialty), Psychology (any alien race))
Cyberneticist, 5/10, gives(+1 To GR:Cyberneticist), page(S220), upto(4), cat(Mundane, Mental, Talents),
	description(Computer Hacking, Computer Operation, Computer Programming, Computer Programming (AI), Electronics Repair (Computers))
Hot Pilot, 5/10, gives(+1 To GR:Hot Pilot), page(S220), upto(4), cat(Mundane, Mental, Talents),
	description(Gunner (any), Navigation (Air or Space), Piloting (all types))

* Transhuman Space Changing Times
Born Spacer, 5/10, gives(+1 To GR:Born Spacer), page(TS:CT), upto(4), cat(Mundane, Mental, Talents),
	description(Aerobatics, Free Fall, Navigation (Space), Piloting (any spacecraft), Spacer, Vacc Suit)

Computer Wizard, 5/10, displaycost(5/10/+ or 10/20/+), gives(+1 To GR:Computer Wizard), page(TS:CT), upto(4), cat(Mundane, Mental, Talents),
	description(Computer Hacking (if permitted in the campaign), Computer Operation, Computer Programming, Electronics Operation (Communications or Media), Electronics Repair (Computers), Expert Skill (Arachnoxenology or Computer Security), Psychology (AI)),
	mods(Computer Wizard), initmods(Includes Computer Hacking, *2, page(TS:CT), gives(+owner::level to SK:Computer Hacking), group(Computer Wizard))

Natural Diver, 5/10, gives(+1 To GR:Natural Diver), page(TS:CT), upto(4), cat(Mundane, Mental, Talents),
	description(Aquabatics, Diving Suit, Scuba, Submarine (Free-Flooding Sub), Swimming)

Pop Culture Maven, 5/10, gives(+1 To GR:Pop Culture Maven), page(TS:CT), upto(4), cat(Mundane, Mental, Talents),
	description(Connoisseur (Virtual Reality Arts), Current Affairs (People), Current Affairs (Popular Culture), Current Affairs (Sport), Expert Skill (Memetics))

Memetic Competence, 10/20, gives(+1 To GR:Memetic Competence), page(TS:CT), upto(4), cat(Mundane, Mental, Talents),
	description(Expert Skill (Memetics), Brainwashing, Diplomacy, Fast-Talk, Interrogation, Leadership, Merchant, Politics, Propaganda, Psychology (all specialties), Sociology, and Teaching)

* Traveller Interstellar Wars
Born Tactician, 10/20, upto(4), gives(+1 to GR:Born Tactician),
	conditional(+1 to ST:Reaction), page(T:IW135), cat(Talents),
	description(Expert Skill (Military Science), History (Military), Intelligence Analysis, Leadership, Savoir-Faire (Military), Soldier, Strategy (Land), Tactics)
Intuitive Admiral, 10/20, upto(4), gives(+1 to GR:Intuitive Admiral),
	conditional(+1 to ST:Reaction), page(T:IW135), cat(Talents),
	description(Spacer, Expert Skill (Military Science), History (Military), Intelligence Analysis, Leadership, Savoir-Faire (Military), Shiphandling (Spaceship), Shiphandling (Starship), Strategy (Space))
ericbsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 01:11 PM   #8
mjj1976
Banned

That's certainly a good start. I wonder, however, if it wouldn't be better for SJG if we didn't include all the details of the Talents, but instead just their names and page references.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:47 PM   #9
Žorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Quote:
That's certainly a good start. I wonder, however, if it wouldn't be better for SJG if we didn't include all the details of the Talents, but instead just their names and page references.
Why? Do people buy the books just to get the Talents that may or may not be in it?

Besides Talents are a make your own kind of advantage.

Žorkell's journal | Viking kittens | My photos
Žorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 07:01 PM   #10
Lupo

Quote:
GCA datafiles are freely downloadable from the official GCA page, and in plain text, so anybody can download and read them.
Lupo is offline   Reply With Quote