Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > SJ Games Discussion

Old 05-11-2013, 05:54 AM   #441
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Report To The Stakeholders

Steve asked for feedback on the report in today's Illuminator.

It works well as it is. Giving more detail overall would make it a lot longer, which would cut down the readership; there aren't any specific gaps I can point to. Overall, it's effective at giving the reader some insight into why SJG behaves as it does, which seems to be the objective.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:51 AM   #442
Balok

In general I find the Stakeholder report illuminating and useful pretty much as it is.

I wanted to write this to comment specifically about the idea of helping one's competitors. Game companies, now, are a small industry that depends on discretionary spending during a weak economy. I believe they need to worry about the health of the hobby as a whole as much as they do about their own health. People who like games tend to like more than one kind of game, so the help SJG gives its competition will, to the extent it generates new customers, redound beneficially back onto it.

So, thank you for not regarding your competition as only your enemies.
Balok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:16 AM   #443
csm

Outside of hearing "We're getting GURPS into every nook and cranny of the societal fabric, such that kids will graduate with a GURPS diploma", I think the format is fine. ;)
csm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:57 AM   #444
Buzzardo

I couldn't ask for much more from the Report to the Stakeholders. The things I think of (more information about future growth into computer-based gaming and a more detailed roadmap of the future) are probably things you simply can't address because you don't yet know those details.

As for why more people don't write this kind of report, the answer is the same as the answer to the question of why don't more people go for emotional therapy: It takes an unusual kind of courage to expose your flaws to a stranger, let alone in public. Yes, it's ultimately good for you, but it's sure hard to make that first appointment or write the first public report.

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:20 AM   #445
mschultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzardo View Post
I couldn't ask ...
The post above explained my reaction to the discussed topic. I've had shares of companies that would put out complicated reports that I never read. I read your reports and it makes me want to invest the pennies I have into SJG. I enjoy reading what happened and what's coming up.
mschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:01 AM   #446
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balok View Post
So, thank you for not regarding your competition as only your enemies.
Enemies? I couldn't live without them. Steve Jackson Games didn't create the hobby game market and could not support it all by itself. Nor would I like to live in a world where I never got to open a game box without already knowing exactly what was inside it . . .
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:42 AM   #447
Refplace

I look forward to the reports and like the froamt an overall level of detail.
As a GURPS fan that is my current focus but I have favored this comapny since it first started and a large part of that was Steve Jacksons rep and my fondness for his work at Metagaming. I simply knew that I would get quality work here.

I also doubt the report helps the other companies much and mostly because I doubt the people who need it read it and take the info to heart.
Unfortunately SJG is no industry giant but it ha proven longevity and far more then most RPG and Trading Card game companies. So its wise to pay attention.

I do think the point about each line that has its own staff should merit some statement of progress though. This year saw some on GURPS but InNominee I do not recall much mention of. I am not a fan of that system as I consider it a setting with rules which I abandoned a long time ago. However a lot are and since it has its own line editor it should see some light in the report.

I look forward to next years when Ogre has hit the streets.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:44 AM   #448
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by csm View Post
Outside of hearing "We're getting GURPS into every nook and cranny of the societal fabric, such that kids will graduate with a GURPS diploma", I think the format is fine. ;)
That's putting too much focus on GURPS and not enough on In Nomine, in my humble opinion...

As for the question at hand, I'll echo the others who've said the Report is good as it stands. While I'd love to know more about what's going on inside the company, I understand that you can't discuss projects in progress without jeopardizing your market position, your reputation, or both (in cases where projects fall through).
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:46 PM   #449
MiB3027

As a long time SJG game player (from the days of Metagaming and pocket boxes) I like the format that is used for the Stakeholder report. It is direct, straightforward and does not dance around things that went wrong.
MiB3027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:55 PM   #450
Vruskophile

I've nothing insightful to add and am posting this just so you know that I read and appreciate your direct communication with customers.

I like the report as it stands. It's really that simple. I look forward to it every winter/spring not only as a gauge of SJGames, which has received my business since the early 1980's but as an indicator of the health of the industry, in general.

If you care to entertain a thought on what I'd like to see in addition to the good content already present, it's this: I'd like to read more detailed opinions, desires, and projections of where you think the industry is going, where you'd like it to go, and general, untapped opportunities for disruptive innovation. Apply "The Innovator's Solution" to the industry and run with it for us, Mr. Jackson.
Vruskophile is offline   Reply With Quote