Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-20-2008, 12:22 PM   #1
nanoboy

Default Space Opera Setting Wiki

For fun, I started a wiki for a space opera setting that I am designing. I figured that such a kind of setting would be perfect for a wiki, since they are so huge and multi-flavored. You can find the front page and the very, very basic information here. If you are interested, just post or PM me, and I'll add you to the editorial board.

The idea is to make a semi-coherent setting that will eventually be ready-to-go for GURPS space opera campaigns. It seemed like a fun idea, and I hope that it can grow.

Let me know if there is some important seed information that you want, too. I mean, it will be a wiki setting, yes, but I also would like for it to be somewhat coherent. You can just jump in, too, but I do want to reserve the right to remove stuff that is contradictory to other stuff. I promise not to be a tyrant, though.
nanoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 12:48 PM   #2
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: Space Opera Setting Wiki

You need to specify exact feel and world features desired before allowing people free roam.
Old 06-20-2008, 02:24 PM   #3
nanoboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh
You need to specify exact feel and world features desired before allowing people free roam.
Okay, I posted a flavors and themes section.
Old 06-20-2008, 02:33 PM   #4
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanoboy
Okay, I posted a flavors and themes section.
Start a new thread (or revive an old one) to figure how to enable swashbuckling in TL11 without making the swashbucklers into powered armor marines.

Define what tech is 'cool' and not. Define safetech.

Figure the social consequences of chi and psi (I hope they're not Social Stigmatized).
Old 06-20-2008, 03:01 PM   #5
nanoboy

Quote:
Start a new thread (or revive an old one) to figure how to enable swashbuckling in TL11 without making the swashbucklers into powered armor marines.
I figured that precognitive parry for what will eventually be people who use force swords will be helpful. Many of these folks will be special samurai-like protectors of their feudal lords and stick by a special code of honor that prevents them from using ranged weapons and the like.

Quote:
Define what tech is 'cool' and not. Define safetech.
Cool is what one makes of it. Some folks think that force swords are cool (and they're right) but others might find plasma guns cool. I'm hoping that different places will have interesting aesthetics that make each place have a cool feel. I'm using an Ultratech definition of safetech.

Quote:
Figure the social consequences of chi and psi (I hope they're not Social Stigmatized).
They're not. Well, in some places they might be, but overall, they're fine. I think that they will be considered the same force or whatever, but they are different manifestations of such.
Old 06-20-2008, 03:10 PM   #6
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
I figured that precognitive parry for what will eventually be people who use force swords will be helpful. Many of these folks will be special samurai-like protectors of their feudal lords and stick by a special code of honor that prevents them from using ranged weapons and the like.
Yeah, but what prevents 10 peasants with grenade launchers (or Gattling blasters, or whatever) from slaughtering them by overwhelming their defenses? It's a big topic, trust me.

Quote:
Cool is what one makes of it. Some folks think that force swords are cool (and they're right) but others might find plasma guns cool. I'm hoping that different places will have interesting aesthetics that make each place have a cool feel. I'm using an Ultratech definition of safetech.
I think AIs as depicted in Banks' Culture are cool, especially as depicted in Excession. Doesn't mean they're always good for the setting.

Quote:
They're not. Well, in some places they might be, but overall, they're fine. I think that they will be considered the same force or whatever, but they are different manifestations of such.
Cool. I got tired of stigmatized psis. I want a setting where psis are treated as mages in 'standard' fantasy.
Old 06-20-2008, 03:27 PM   #7
ravenfish

Quote:
Cool. I got tired of stigmatized psis. I want a setting where psis are treated as mages in 'standard' fantasy.
Star Wars? ;)
Old 06-20-2008, 03:30 PM   #8
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenfish
Star Wars? ;)
Those are not Psionic-source powers. Those are Moral powers, with all the following consequences.
Old 06-20-2008, 03:34 PM   #9
Mehmet
MIB

Also, StarWars "mages" either follow a specific code or hunted down by some really powerful individuals (not the original trilogy era, of course, but who would let any PC to play a Jedi during that).

They are much more limited than a simple Social Stigma would limit them.

Cheerio!
Old 06-20-2008, 03:40 PM   #10
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehmet
Also, StarWars "mages" either follow a specific code or hunted down by some really powerful individuals (not the original trilogy era, of course, but who would let any PC to play a Jedi during that).

They are much more limited than a simple Social Stigma would limit them.

Cheerio!
True, but the fundamental difference for me is that Psis are neutral by their nature, while Force Users are forced to choose one of two paths, consciously or otherwise, and gets a package of associated disadvantages (social and mental) either way.