Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Notices

Old 06-09-2008, 11:12 PM   #11
whswhs

Default Re: How impotant is combat to your game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadkiller_Dog
Action is central to my games. We have plenty of non-combat sessions, and games are far from a string of fights connected loosely, but combat is a driving interest. Broadly, action is a driving interest, but combat is the largest single element of action, more than chases/contests of strength or agility/obstacles courses/whatever. I run games where combat is a major way of settling problems in the game, and where combat is a major portion of the entertainment value of the game for the players.
I remember your commenting, a while back, that what I considered to be a high-combat game would be a low-combat game by your standards.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:29 AM   #12
rosignol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos
One of the players in my long-running series of SF mysteries said "We never solve these things. We just muddle along until the villains figure that we must have solved them, and win the ensuing gunfight. Our effectiveness depends on the NPCs consistently over-rating out intelligence and under-rating our lethality."
It's not just my group! Whew!
Old 06-10-2008, 12:39 AM   #13
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosignol
It's not just my group! Whew!
I once proposed in a game that we just start shooting everything we came across until the bad guy leaders got curious and came to see what was happening. Then we'd shoot them. If they didn't come out, well, at least we'd have shot everyone else they could conceivably send, therefore reducing the power of those leaders to basically nothing anyway.

I'm still not sure why we didn't try that plan. None of the others ever worked, and shooting everything demonstrably made the Evil Organization* send higher and higher ranked guys to try to kill us.
My S&C Blog
My Dungeon Fantasy Game Blog
"You fall onto five death checks." - Andy Dokachev
Peter V. Dell'Orto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:41 AM   #14
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakkerjakk
Unfortunately, I can't claim credit. It's from a webcomic called Schlock Mercenary, part of the Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates.
Nice. I like the one about being the first to resort to violence.

Remember, the one that shoots first doesn't win the fight, the one that shoots last does. But shooting first often ensures you get to shoot last, too.
My S&C Blog
My Dungeon Fantasy Game Blog
"You fall onto five death checks." - Andy Dokachev
Peter V. Dell'Orto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:51 AM   #15
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

For me, it depends on the genre. When I'm running my Cliffhangers campaign, combat and deathtraps are all part of the spills and chills atmosphere. My last campaign, though, was Horror, where investigation tends to be a higher priority. Combat was still fairly regular but the PCs quickly learned there were risks involved and took some precautions they might not have worried about in "Pulp World."

Personally, I think it's difficult (though not impossible) to run an RPG without combat playing some role. That's part of the "game" in "roleplaying game" that we gather round the table for.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 03:29 AM   #16
Blood Legend

I just wait for the moment I get to stab something in the eye.

Really It seems like I never get enough of it. I can do the tricky NPCs thing when an interesting NPC finally shows up, anyway.

The mindless gabbers in control of the ship? Feh.

The redshirts talking amongst themselves? Forget it.

The random illegal AI that I was supposed to blow up because the GM wanted the group too because he didn't have a personality or any traits or motives other than survival? The AI that does nothing but answer my questions with the most truthful answers as long a positive response leads to the furthering of it's own survival? That guy I can trust, and at the very least, trust to double-cross me? Yeah that one is interesting. Why? Because the GM hasn't already thought up its life, its existance, where it's going, what it's going to do and what it's going to say. It's not a recording that will automatically play when I walk near it during a specified time. It's those others that aren't on any side of the fence ya gotta look out for. They'll ALWAYS give you work or a task to complete and it might not always be as fun as the random stuff I can get myself into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadkiller_Dog
No fighting, no game.

Action is central to my games. We have plenty of non-combat sessions, and games are far from a string of fights connected loosely, but combat is a driving interest. Broadly, action is a driving interest, but combat is the largest single element of action, more than chases/contests of strength or agility/obstacles courses/whatever. I run games where combat is a major way of settling problems in the game, and where combat is a major portion of the entertainment value of the game for the players.

I'm not even a little sorry, apologetic, or otherwise ashamed of this. If my games didn't have so much action you wouldn't see my name on GURPS Martial Arts.
You seem to have fights in Gurps quite often and I'm wondering if there isn't something I'm doing wrong. It tends to be slow among my players and sometimes co-players. What would otherwise be an enjoyable moment for myself always trickles down to "roll your attack, he fails his dodge, whats your damage? Ok HT roll, he's ok/unconscious/dead."

Could you give me a short combat example from one of your games? How do you phrase combat to your players? (Also; your private messages folder is full.)

"This is the sort of relatively small error that destroys planetary probes." ~Bruno

Last edited by Blood Legend; 06-10-2008 at 03:36 AM.
Blood Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 07:22 AM   #17
The Benj

I tend to run quite low combat games, not exactly by design, but because my players have recognised the fragility of people in GURPS and want neither to get killed or accidentally kill people they didn't intend to (I run hidden Supers, with combat abilities ranging from sedentary normal to a DR 30, ST 30 flyer and an ice blasting guy whose main attack is analagous to a RoF 27 crossbow, so these are both concerns).

When combat does come along, it's generally a surprise. ("Right, where's the fireaxe for this building?" says the aforementioned sedentary normal, deciding that this was one problem he wanted to solve in an uncivilised manner)
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 07:47 AM   #18
Dagger of Lath

Not very important. Most of my games focus around mystery instead as the element of challenge.

That said, what the players do is up to them and if they decide to pull a gun I'm quite happy to roll a few dice and do a combat scene. However if left to my own devices the games will be more CSI and less Bad Boys.
Dagger of Lath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 09:05 AM   #19
Smirg

Default Re: How important is combat to your game.

Depends heavily both on the campaign and the game system.

The only game system I can still enjoy a good tactical combat with is GURPS with Martial Arts and a good amount of options turned on.

One of my other groups which plays Dark Eye recently got more combat heavy after over a year of almost no combats (which I really enjoyed) and despite it (in its 4th Edition) being one of the more options-heavy combat systems in theory, in practice it's just the plain old attack-defend-damage (if hit) scheme round after round, because the options really become viable only at combat-god skill levels. Before that, you actually reduce your chances to win by using those options, and most of them must be bought first to be available at all.
I was bored with it pretty fast. It was mostly clear who would win from the start, with only minor variance in outcome due to extremes in the many spread-out dice rolls. So I basically asked myself, why bother at all? Roll a die and call it a die (of one side of combatants - ok, "die" was not entirely grammatically correct here) rather than spend an hour and a half with meaningless dice rolling.

In general, I'm on the little-combat side, though (in recent years, since moving away from D&D almost entirely). Especially as a GM, unless it's a specific combat one-shot, I use almost no forced combat and always provide (usually better or at least equally viable and safer) alternatives to my players.
Smirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 10:43 AM   #20
Bending Arms

Default Re: How important is combat to your game.

When I run my games its tends to head in the exploration of the world. It comes from the the fact that I put alot work in the world (or settings) filling it with groups and cultures to making it a living breathing place. My favorite books are about explores and and exploration with the mental and physical challenges one goes through.

As player I go with the flow but I have been known to pull off some crazy stunts. Even in gritty rules I like to push the luck of my rolls, nothing like having the life of your character played out with a single roll of the dice.

Maybe its the its this quote I really love and in away its gotten me through alot. Here is the jest of it. Morgan Blackhand from Cbyerpunk 2.0.2.0. "His blood, your blood - it doesn't matter to you. You're committed.".