Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 04-05-2008, 12:06 AM   #1
knarf

Default The Wizard of Oz: The RPG?

This is something that has been brewing in my brain for some time. I am now taking steps to get the project published, but I wanted to make sure that I had a good idea before I inflicted it upon the world.

What do you think? Is this an idea who's time has finally come?
knarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 04:02 AM   #2
sward

Default Re: The Wizard of Oz: The RPG?

well Atomic sock monkey press got a game called: The Zantabulous Zorcerer of Zo... I haven't tried it, but it seemed that atleast the title got som inspirations herefrom.

Some Links:
The
Homepage
a review
Old 04-05-2008, 08:40 AM   #3
quarkstomper

I've run games set in Oz a couple of times in Dimension-Hopping campaigns. The Oz books have a wealth of fanciful characters and settings.

"All right team, here is your mission. We've ideintified a Centrum intervention on Baum-1. Ruddego the Nome King is -- Stop laughing. I said Ruddego the Nome King is leading an army of Winkies against the -- I said STOP LAUGHING!!!"
quarkstomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 11:07 AM   #4
knarf

Quote:
Originally Posted by sward
well Atomic sock monkey press got a game called: The Zantabulous Zorcerer of Zo... I haven't tried it, but it seemed that atleast the title got som inspirations herefrom.

Some Links:
The
Homepage
a review
I made a point of picking it up after I mentioned this on another forum and got the response "Dude, been done. Zorceror of Zo." Zorceror of Zo is not based significantly on Oz. The broad geography was based on Oz, but the setting is fairly generic fairytale stuff.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:16 AM   #5
knarf

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarkstomper
I've run games set in Oz a couple of times in Dimension-Hopping campaigns. The Oz books have a wealth of fanciful characters and settings.

"All right team, here is your mission. We've ideintified a Centrum intervention on Baum-1. Ruddego the Nome King is -- Stop laughing. I said Ruddego the Nome King is leading an army of Winkies against the -- I said STOP LAUGHING!!!"
I think the Tin Woodman would have something to say about the Nome King taking his army. Unless he got transformed into a tin whistle again, of course. Or perhaps a tin owl. That's happened before too.

And he was Ruggedo until The Emerald City of Oz, when he lost his memory and became Roquat. Then he was deposed in Tiktok of Oz and replaced by Kaliko, who wasn't any nicer, but had learned to be cautious from dodging Roquat's scepter flying at his head for all that time.
Old 04-05-2008, 05:40 PM   #6
quarkstomper

Ah, but Ruggedo managed to steal the Shaggy Man's Love Magnet, which Ozma had nailed above the gates to the Emerald City, so now everyone in the Nome King's immedeate vincinity feel an inexplicable fondness for him, subverting even the Tin Woodsman's loyal subjects!

(Ruggedo. Not Ruddego. I get him mixed up with the name of the Gilbert & Sullivan operetta.)
Old 04-06-2008, 02:06 AM   #7
Anders

You'd have to watch out for munchkins, though...
Old 04-06-2008, 06:18 AM   #8
KDLadage

Personally, I'd love to see something like this.

Back in the early days of Magic: The Gathering, around the time Arabian Nights came out, there was talk of a Wizard of Oz expansion. I really wanted to see that, too.
KDLadage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 10:22 AM   #9
quarkstomper

Yeah, a while ago I was thinking of making write-ups for some of the less well-known Ozites, like the Hungry Tiger and Jack Pumpkinhead and Professor Wogglebug, but I never got around to it. I am Easily-Distracted Lad. One of these days, tho'...
Old 04-06-2008, 11:34 AM   #10
knarf

If you're interested in seeing what I've got so far on the project, check out my website. It's still needs a brief overview of Oz and the traditional GM advice before I'm officially done with it.

What do you think?