Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-30-2008, 02:19 PM   #1
LoneWolf23k

Default GURPS Space: Original Setting Design

I've noticed the GURPS line is lacking something.. Namely, a house setting for space-bound science fiction. We've got Banestorm for Fantasy, Infinite Worlds for time-travel and alternate earths campaigns (and to a lesser extent, everything else), but so far virtually every one of GURPS' sci-fi campaign books have been liscences: Uplift, Traveller, Lensman, Terradyne, New Sun..

Surely there's room for an in-house setting for sci-fi space adventures for the GURPS line? Between GURPS Space, Spaceships, Ultra-Tech, Bio-Tech, and Powers, and the old third edition books GURPS Aliens and GURPS Space Beastiary, there should be more then enough to build a new, original sci-fi setting for GURPS.

One idea I had was to reverse the usual sci-fi cliche of Humanity being a strong, established and technologically mature race, the first amongst equals nearly dominant across the Galaxy. Instead, Humanity is still new to the stars, having only recently developped FTL technology. And as it begins to explore the Galaxy, it finds itself coming into contact with existing starfaring civilisations, like the Federation of Systems, or the Kronin Military Alliance. Humanity's big challenge is to establish itself as a growing starfaring power, while avoiding drawing the hungry gaze of the Kaa Imperium or the Verm Swarm...

What do you guys think?
LoneWolf23k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 02:32 PM   #2
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Default Re: GURPS Space: Original Setting Design

I like Orions Arm , but it would have to be licensed as well.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 03:01 PM   #3
Sword-dancer

Uplift Universe
Sword-dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 03:42 PM   #4
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf23k
What do you guys think?
I have often thought of putting in a submission to e23. I am really thrilled at the amount of meat you could get into a 240-page setting book with no need for the spaceship rules, starsystem rules, or tech & equipment listings that take up so much of any stand-alone product. Even a 70-page PDF could handily out-content the impressive GURPS Traveller 2nd edition.

But looking at it from SJGames's point of view I have to wonder what sales it will get that are not simply at the cost of GURPS Traveller and ISW sales. To be a real marketing success for SJG, a new setting should not just sell copies to the GURPS completists. It should sell to people who don't have a copy of Basic yet. So what is the market segment that will pick up a new setting and four books and a PDF of rules (Characters, Campaigns, Ultra-Tech, Bio-Tech, and Spaceships) who have not already been lured in by GURPS Traveller, Interstellar Wars, Transhuman Space and 3rd ed licensed properties such as Planet of Adventure, Lensman, and Humanx? Sadly, it looks as though licensed properties have the best prospects.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.

Last edited by Agemegos; 03-30-2008 at 04:10 PM.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 04:09 PM   #5
tshiggins

Quote:
I've noticed the GURPS line is lacking something.. Namely, a house setting for space-bound science fiction.

(SNIP)

What do you guys think?
If you're going to do something like this, I'd build onto the Transhuman Space line that already exists. Push that timeline forward a couple of centuries, until the solar system is thoroughly settled. That should be enough room for most types of adventures.

However, if you must have an interstellar civilization (which is not at all a bad thing), have the people in that timeline figure out an FTL drive, keep the rest of the science as hard as possible, and go from there. Have them do it fairly soon -- no later than 2150 or so, and then run the timline ahead another 150 years, to 2300 AD (coincidentally, the name of my favorite Space Opera setting...).

To be honest, though, I think Traveller fits the bill well enough for most people, and Transhuman Stars would mostly cannibalize the same audience.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 04:47 PM   #6
griffin

Quote:
I've noticed the GURPS line is lacking something.. Namely, a house setting for space-bound science fiction. We've got Banestorm for Fantasy, Infinite Worlds for time-travel and alternate earths campaigns (and to a lesser extent, everything else), but so far virtually every one of GURPS' sci-fi campaign books have been liscences: Uplift, Traveller, Lensman, Terradyne, New Sun..

Surely there's room for an in-house setting for sci-fi space adventures for the GURPS line? Between GURPS Space, Spaceships, Ultra-Tech, Bio-Tech, and Powers, and the old third edition books GURPS Aliens and GURPS Space Beastiary, there should be more then enough to build a new, original sci-fi setting for GURPS.

One idea I had was to reverse the usual sci-fi cliche of Humanity being a strong, established and technologically mature race, the first amongst equals nearly dominant across the Galaxy. Instead, Humanity is still new to the stars, having only recently developped FTL technology. And as it begins to explore the Galaxy, it finds itself coming into contact with existing starfaring civilisations, like the Federation of Systems, or the Kronin Military Alliance. Humanity's big challenge is to establish itself as a growing starfaring power, while avoiding drawing the hungry gaze of the Kaa Imperium or the Verm Swarm...

What do you guys think?
GURPS 3e has Transhuman Space if you are ok with non-FTL SF. GURPS 3e has the Space Atlases. My favorite is Space Atlas 4 which is one that has David Pulver as one of the authors. That's where I'd build from. I'd definitely use the races already established in GURPS Aliens (a 3e book) a few of the races which you reference in your posting.
Here's the link to GURPS Space Atlas IV which is out of print. It also seems that GURPS SA4 hasn't been out into e23 yet. It would be great to see it return as a GURPS 4e e23 PDF. Better yet a Space Atlas Compendium hardcover for GURPS 4e.

Another possibility is going with the setting depicted in the vignettes in Ultra-Tech. The one with the Interstallar espionage theme. Imperial Secret Service (ISS) and the Galactic Operations Directorate (GOD).

Last edited by griffin; 04-04-2008 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Adding links for Space Atlas IV thread and rewording the end
griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 05:07 PM   #7
David L Pulver
AlienAbductee

Quote:
I've noticed the GURPS line is lacking something.. Namely, a house setting for space-bound science fiction. We've got Banestorm for Fantasy, Infinite Worlds for time-travel and alternate earths campaigns (and to a lesser extent, everything else), but so far virtually every one of GURPS' sci-fi campaign books have been liscences: Uplift, Traveller, Lensman, Terradyne, New Sun.
What do you guys think?
I want to write one...
Old 03-30-2008, 05:09 PM   #8
combatmedic
Banned

Did you work on the old ICE SPACEMASTER line, David? Name sounds familiar... Maybe I'm thinking of somebody else?
combatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 06:36 PM   #9
tratclif

Terradyne is original SJGames work, not a license, and how you could you forget Transhuman Space? That said, we could use a home-grown interstellar setting.

Space for 4e had 3 "worked example" settings that were cut for space. One makes up the Designer's Notes article, and I'd love to see them all in an e23 product.
tratclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 06:39 PM   #10
griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatmedic
Did you work on the old ICE SPACEMASTER line, David? Name sounds familiar... Maybe I'm thinking of somebody else?
I'm assuming that's a joke without the ;-).

GURPS Ultra-Tech, Bio-Tech, and about a third of the major GURPS 3e books.
griffin is offline   Reply With Quote