Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 01-14-2018, 08:35 AM   #731
LECHUCK81

Default Munchkin Solo Rules for loners

Hi, Im Mariano and ive been developing a new set of rules for playing Munchkin in solo rounds just for fun. I speak spanish so i made then in my language and translated them as good as i can. If someone is interested on them or have any suggestions, they are more than welcome.

REQUIRED MUNCHKIN GAME AND A D6 DICE.

MUNCHKIN LONER: KILL THE MONSTERS, STEAL THE TREASURE AND TICK YOUR FRIENDS.

1. To win the game you have to reach level 20 before finishing any of the two main decks (Dungeons or Treasures).

2. At the start of the game, draw 4 cards. Discard all curses, traps, errant monsters, or any other "bad" card for your initial hand. But attention! Do not replace discards. What you have in your hand you can play at the moment. You can only use classes, races, equipment and up to 2 items for your backpack (at your choice). This will be what is at stake. Before each door you can change what is in the backpack but to change equipment you must discard the one you are wearing.
Before removing a door card there is a preliminary phase of equipment assembly that allows you to re-equip yourself for the fight.

3. If you defeat a monster steal the indicated treasures and gain levels. (as usual)

4. In case you have to ask for Help, roll a D6 and add the result to your level. If you also do not overcome the monster, the Wrong Roll indicated by the card is applied. In case of winning the match thanks to the die the level or the Treasure or both OR NOTHING is added.! (throw a D6 to see what luck you have 2 to 3 treasure, 4 to 5 level and 6 both ... IF IT IS 1 WAS ALL A DREAM, YOU DO NOT GET ANYTHING FROM THE COMBAT!)

5. If you want to run away you can achieve it with a 4, 5 or 6 on the D6 roll.

6. In case of encountering a Wandering Monster, take the monster that is lower in the discard pile, this monster joins the Wandering in the battle. Against a Wandering Monster (and company) you can not ask for help.

7. There are cards that allow you to steal objects, levels, etc ... to other players. If what you get is in the discard pile, you recover it and it passes to your hand, in the case of stealing levels, you add them directly.
CLARIFICATIONS: BOTH LEVEL UP OR STOLEN LEVEL CARD DEPENDS ON ROLLING THE DICE ONLY! (IF U GET 5 OR 6 APPLY THE EFFECT, IF NOT TOUGH LUCK AND DISCARD THE CARD).
YOU HAVE TO DEFEAT A MONSTER TO WIN THE LAST LEVEL OF THE GAME.

8. In case of doubt about the rules ... do not deceive yourself, you are alone, nobody looks at you, nobody judges you ... applies coherence and enjoys the game. Think that if you cheat yourself you are not playing anything anymore, you are doing the BLEH directly.

MODIFIED PHASES
1.- ASSEMBLY AND STRATEGY: CLASS, RACE, EQUIPMENT AND ITEMS TO BE USED IN THE BACKPACK (MAXIMUM 2)
2.- KILL THE MONSTER: AS IN NORMAL MUNCHKIN WITH THE RULES ADAPTED TO 1 PLAYER.
3.- STEAL THE TREASURE.
4.- DISCHARGE. (MAXIMUM 4 LETTERS IN HAND)

ADDITIONAL RULES FOR HIGHER DIFFICULTY (RUSSIAN ROULETTE)
1.- EVERY 5 TURNS ENTERS THE RUSSIAN ROUTE PHASE.
2.- USE D6 DICE TO KNOW HOW THE DESTINY WILL AFFECT YOUR GAME.
3.- IF YOU GET 6 (YOU WIN AN ADDITIONAL ITEM OF THE TREASURE OR THE DISCHARGE PILE) 4 or 5 (A LVL IS LOST) 2 or 3 (AN EQUIPPED ITEM IS LOST) 1 (NOTHING HAPPENS)
4.- DISCHARGE. (MAXIMUM 4 CARDS IN HAND)

Last edited by LECHUCK81; 01-14-2018 at 09:49 AM. Reason: upgrade
LECHUCK81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 09:39 PM   #732
Triquii

Default Re: Member House Rules

One house rule I use for munchkin marvel is dead easy and makes it significantly more challenging In fact the original game seems pretty dull without it.

Whenever you fight a monster, turn over it’s trwasure cards and it gets use them. Go up a level, infinity gems and cubes all count as +5. This way even quite weak monster can be tough early in the game and it can take a while to get going. Also once you know what someone else stands to gain it incentivises others to get involved and interfere.

sometimes we only apply it from level 5 upwards but this way when your over level 10! A couple of monsters can get really tough. I had an enemy pass the 100 combat value today.....
Triquii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:13 AM   #733
djweaver29

We play that you can have more than one person help you in combat and, [Warning: Controversial] we don't allow items to be placed on the table unless you can equip them. Once an item is placed on the table it can no longer be sold for gold. This keeps players from hoarding items.

These rules just stem from not properly reading the rules the first time, and we've been considering abandoning them for a little while now. Interestingly enough, it's pretty rare to run into a card that conflicts with these rules.
djweaver29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 08:32 PM   #734
HappyWackers

Default Post Level 10 Game!

Hey guys! I need some advice for my post level 10 Munchkin games. Yes, I know about Epic Munchkin rules for past level 10, but it's way too broken. I am not looking for an easier game. I want more challenges from monsters, and more interactions(negotiations, drama, stealing, cursing/traps, and collusion) between players. The rules I have listed below are what we have been currently using. Again, I would like some advice to make these post level 10 Munchkin games as fair as possible. I've posted the Munchkin sets I use at the bottom. Sorry for the long post, but you hardcore Munchkin fans will understand. =) P.S. We don't want faster games. We enjoy playing for six hours, and usually have to reschedule to finish a game. I also have my own story/quest line with every game we have. Different levels have different encounters, but the story/quest lines do not matter.

Why do I need advice to improve my groups beyond level 10 game play? You can read why just below.

A level 10 Munchkin with a semi-decent hand and in-play(Active) cards can kill any monster from any set. Only with the combined effort of other players added monsters, monster buffs, munchkin nerfs, and curse like cards could stop them from advancing. This is a fact and I am not going to argue that with anyone. I play with a bunch of sets and they are shuffled quite well. At the end of the day RNG is RNG, but we are trying to lessen its influence over unfair game-play.

By the time we get to level 10 we have 20+ power from items alone. A 30+ power munchkin definitely needs stronger foes and more limitations from levels 11-20. We are only ever going to add sets, so our rule guide is ever changing.

These are a few rules we have implemented. Please comment what we can do to improve or simply just add. Everything listed is a new change or a default Munchkins rule. If I did not say a rule triggers during Hard Mode then it is in effect throughout the whole game.

Hard Mode is achieved by reaching level 11.

1. Level 10,19, and 20 can only be achieved by killing a monster. A monsters death is required to enter Hard Mode and win the game. Needing a kill for levels 19/20 lessen the chance of ties.

2. Once a player reaches level 11 their Hard Mode Munchkin game begins. Only players at level 11 will be in Hard Mode. Every other player below level 11 will fight monsters at their default difficulty.

3. Monsters in Hard Mode have their power Multiplied by 2. This happens immediately when the door is kicked down. Monster enhancers are added to the total after the x2 multiplier. Wandering monsters do not have their power multiplied by 2. All monsters brought in by a wandering monster card are treated like the default game.

4. Specific monsters can be freely added into a fight. Flipping over a specific type of monster will allow every player to add one similar type of monster without using a wandering monster card. These monsters include undead, goth, bat, goblin, zombie, hemogoblin and many others that have this ability. Technically any monster with a matching word in the name can do this. The monsters added in this manner do not have their power multiplied by two.

5. Lasers do fire damage.

6. All players assisting in a combat must also run away if they lose the fight. They must also roll for each monster in combat just like the player who they are assisting.

7. A level up card requires you to roll the dice. 1-4 = no level, and 5-6 = level up.

8. Must roll a 5 or 6 to run away from each monster.

9. Comrades can use one item, and even one big one. All other follower type cards can only use items if the card says so or if it's corresponding set rule book allows it.

10. Any card can be traded but only during your turn. That player can also ask for a mass trade between multiple players. Classes,races and even curses can be traded but only those that are unused in-hand. The five card hand limit has not changed. Still only small item cards are allowed to have an unlimited carry amount.

11. Cards in-play and in-hand can only be interchanged during a players turn, but not during combat. If a card allows you to switch what's in play or what is in your hand then you can interchange them.

12. Only 5 cards allowed in hand at the end of a turn. All excess cards must given to the lowest level player unless sold. If there is a tie for the lowest level then the cards can be distributed between the lowest level players. A player can sell his cards for a level at 1000 gold per level. 1000 gold must be met before cards can be sold. Some players choose to sell their cards if over 1000 gold, so they won't have to give it to other players. You cannot just discard cards for no reason. Only way to discard cards is if you cannot sell any or give them away to any players. Also you can discard for specific power-ups that a card will say you have. Then you discard down to five in hand. Selling cards cannot occur during combat unless a card allows you to do so.

13. If you choose to discard your race in-play then you automatically become human.

14. Your level must be more or equal to the total rank of powers you have equipped. This refers to the Munchkin sets with power ranked cards.

15. Remember that only one headgear, one foot-gear, one armor, and two Hand items or one 2-hands item can be used unless a card states otherwise. Default Munchkins allows you to carry any number of untyped rings and untyped necklaces and that is broken so we removed that.

Many items do not have a type. Those items are called untyped items. These items can be stacked, but now only to a realistic quantity. Realistic to the anatomy of your race that is. A ring with a giant diamond would get in the way of a gauntlet or even another ring with a giant gem. Those rings would physically not fit on one hand. If a few rings are very small and have no obtrusion then multiple can be worn. That is only if those rings require no class, race, or body slot. Hence it being an untyped item. If an untyped item would interfere with another item you are wearing then it cannot be equipped. If it does not interfere than it can be equipped. Both ankle cuffs and slippers can be worn since they are untyped and won't interfere physically. A creature without an appendage cannot wear the item that would be associated with it. Ankle cuffs and ankle bracelets cannot be both worn since they would interfere with one another. Confusing I know, but it's quite funny if you picture your Munchkin.

Any disagreements are settled by majority vote from the players of the game.(Not the player who wants to equip the item) They will decide if your untyped item does not physically interfere with your race or another untyped item you are wearing.

16. You can choose the gender you want to be at the beginning of the game, and that's what it will be throughout the game unless a card changes your gender.

17. Certain combined cards like the combined laser cannot be annihilated or anti-mattered but only one item in its composition will be.

So tell us please how can we improve or what should we change? If you like how we play please tell us that as well!

I've posted the Munchkin sets I use at the bottom.
Current game uses all of these sets and every single card:

Munchkin
Munchkin Holiday Surprise
Munchkin Zombies
Munchkin Bites
Munchkin Legends
Munchkin Conan
Munchkin Cthulhu
Munchkin Pathfinder Deluxe
Star Munchkin Guest Artist Edition
Munchkin Loot Letter
HappyWackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 09:16 PM   #735
Nobunga

Default Re: Post Level 10 Game!

6, 8, 16, 17 are already rules in regular Munchkin.

Also, this is clearly House Rules and will most likely get moved there by the Moderators soon.
Nobunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 09:28 AM   #736
HappyWackers

I stated at the top that a few rules were default Munchkin rules.
HappyWackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:51 AM   #737
Nobunga

Default Epic Pathfinder!

I've seen two posts in the last week asking about Epic Abilities for the Class and Faction introduced in Munchkin Pathfinder 2: Guns and Razzes. So let's post our House Rules for these Epic abilities. I'll go first.

Epic Gunslingers - True Grit: When fighting alone OR with a helper, you may discard two cards to gain a combat bonus equal to your level. (This replaces the Grit Ability)

Epic Razmiran Vision - Blessing of Razmir: You get a +1 combat bonus for every 500 gold pieces worth of items you have in play.

Still needs some playtesting. Blessing of Razmir originally gave a bonus for every 100 gold pieces, but when we played it that way, the bonus went crazy high too quickly. In response, I upped it to 500, but is that too high? Is 300 better?

Last edited by Nobunga; 09-26-2018 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Fixing bad grammer and formatting
Nobunga is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combining different, doors, dummy hand, epic, extras, funny, gambling, gameplay, house rules, multi-deck, munchkin, munchkin zombies, new way to play, rules, rules variant, team, teams, two player, zombie dice