Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2008, 01:39 AM   #1
mook
 
mook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Default Question on Disarm and Ready Weapons

In a separate thread I'm discussing some combat examples I'm working on, and I've hit a snag.

In the third Close Combat example, an unarmed combatant is fighting against an opponent with a broadsword; however, the broadsword is not yet Ready, it's still sheathed.

Does the unarmed fighter have to wait until his opponent's weapon begins a turn as Ready, or can he attempt to disarm immediately following the turn when his opponent declares he is readying (trying to knock the weapon away *as* it is readied, instead of *after*)? I couldn't decide after reading the Disarm rules on B401.

Since a weapon isn't actually Ready until the turn following the choosing of the Ready maneuver (i.e., you can't declare Ready as your maneuver and then immediately Parry if attacked; you have to wait until your next turn), it seems that maybe the weapon can't be disarmed during that time.

On the other hand, this would mean that you could never disarm a weapon until it had at least one chance to attack you, and though implied, the rules don't explicitly say (that I could find) that you can only strike a weapon if it is Ready.

Hope I explained that clearly enough, it's late.

Thanks,
__________________
How to Be a GURPS GM, author
Game Geekery, Blog (GURPS combat examples, fillable PDF sheets, rules summaries, campaigns and one-shots, intro for beginners)
Discord, unofficial hangout and real-time chat
mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 02:01 AM   #2
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World
 
Peter V. Dell'Orto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: New Jersey
Default Re: Question on Disarm and Ready Weapons

Quote:
Originally Posted by mook
Since a weapon isn't actually Ready until the turn following the choosing of the Ready maneuver (i.e., you can't declare Ready as your maneuver and then immediately Parry if attacked; you have to wait until your next turn),
This is incorrect. Nothing in GURPS Basic Set says that your weapon is not fully ready until the beginning of the next turn. It just says "it takes one turn" to ready (check "When is a Weapon Ready" on p. B383, "Readying Weapons And Other Gear on p. 382). It doesn't give an exception anywhere to the allowable defenses that a weapon you Ready can't be used to parry until the following turn, either. It takes a full action (i.e. a Ready maneuver) to take out a weapon, but it can be used to parry immediately. Fast-Draw contrasts with this by allowing you to ready your weapon so quickly it doesn't take a Maneuver, so you can use it immediately, and you don't use a turn Readying.
__________________
Peter V. Dell'Orto
aka Toadkiller_Dog or TKD
My Author Page
My S&C Blog
My Dungeon Fantasy Game Blog
"You fall onto five death checks." - Andy Dokachev
Peter V. Dell'Orto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 02:50 AM   #3
Verjigorm
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Charlotte, North Caroline, United States of America, Earth?
Default Re: Question on Disarm and Ready Weapons

Add this:

IF sheathed sword has a lower basic speed than Graby Gabe, the Gabe can grab hold of Sheathed Sword's hand(say, right?). Sheathed Sword then needs a DX roll at a -4 penalty to ready his weapon AT ALL.
__________________
A shadu an la illa illah Allah, we shadu anna Muhammadar Rasul
Verjigorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 03:51 AM   #4
LordHelmet
 
LordHelmet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Capital City, Germany
Default Re: Question on Disarm and Ready Weapons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadkiller_Dog
[...]It takes a full action (i.e. a Ready maneuver) to take out a weapon, but it can be used to parry immediately.[...]
I am afraid, but I have to disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B376 Parrying
You cannot parry unless your weapon is ready[...]
Quote:
Originally Posted by B383 When Is a Weapon Ready?
A weapon is "ready" if it is in your hand and ready to attack. It takes one turn to ready a weapon from a scabberd[...]
But since your weapon is only ready to attack in the turn after your Ready-maneuver so is your weapon to Parry.
LordHelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 04:04 AM   #5
The Benj
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Platform Zero, Sydney, Australia
Default Re: Question on Disarm and Ready Weapons

You should be afraid, because you've misunderstood.

Once you've finished the maneuver, your sword is Ready. Then the next person takes their turn.
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 04:13 AM   #6
LordHelmet
 
LordHelmet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Capital City, Germany
Default Re: Question on Disarm and Ready Weapons

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Benj
Once you've finished the maneuver, your sword is Ready.
Exactly, but since you are attacked while readying your weapon you haven't finished your turn/maneuver yet.
Remember, your turn ends when you chose your next maneuver, not when the next person takes his turn (see 3.4.1.3 In combat, when does your turn end? and 3.4.1.10 Could I have a clear description of what a turn is in GURPS?)
LordHelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 04:28 AM   #7
LordHelmet
 
LordHelmet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Capital City, Germany
Default Re: Question on Disarm and Ready Weapons

Concerning the question of the OP:

I couldn't find anything in B400f "Striking At Weapons" and "Knocking a Weapon Away" that speaks against trying to disarm your foe while he is readying his weapon.

Using the Grabbing and Grappling rules (B370) it even seems reasonable to allow to grap for your foes weapon while it is still sheathed and your foe is not trying to ready it.
LordHelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 04:29 AM   #8
mook
 
mook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Default Re: Question on Disarm and Ready Weapons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verjigorm
Add this:
IF sheathed sword has a lower basic speed than Graby Gabe, the Gabe can grab hold of Sheathed Sword's hand(say, right?). Sheathed Sword then needs a DX roll at a -4 penalty to ready his weapon AT ALL.
Perfectly fine workaround Verjigorm - unfortunately, the examples are meant to illustrate the Basic set rules-as-written, no more no less, so adding in a house rule isn't really an option for me. Thanks though. : )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadkiller_Dog
This is incorrect. Nothing in GURPS Basic Set says that your weapon is not fully ready until the beginning of the next turn. It just says "it takes one turn" to ready (check "When is a Weapon Ready" on p. B383, "Readying Weapons And Other Gear on p. 382). It doesn't give an exception anywhere to the allowable defenses that a weapon you Ready can't be used to parry until the following turn, either. It takes a full action (i.e. a Ready maneuver) to take out a weapon, but it can be used to parry immediately. Fast-Draw contrasts with this by allowing you to ready your weapon so quickly it doesn't take a Maneuver, so you can use it immediately, and you don't use a turn Readying.
Hmm - see, "it takes one turn" to me means, you declare your maneuver, it takes one turn, then at the start of your next turn it's ready - I would think if a weapon could be used to Parry before it could be used to Attack, that would be explicitly stated somewhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmet

B376 Parrying
You cannot parry unless your weapon is ready[...]

B383 When Is a Weapon Ready?
A weapon is "ready" if it is in your hand and ready to attack. It takes one turn to ready a weapon from a scabberd[...]

But since your weapon is only ready to attack in the turn after your Ready-maneuver so is your weapon to Parry.
This was my understanding too - you cannot Parry unless your weapon is Ready, but your weapon is only Ready "if it is in your hand and ready to attack".

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Benj
You should be afraid, because you've misunderstood.
Once you've finished the maneuver, your sword is Ready. Then the next person takes their turn.
I see - so you're saying that *immediately* after declaring Ready as your maneuver, your weapon is technically Ready - the only reason you can't Attack with it is because your next opportunity to declare a maneuver doesn't come until the start of your next turn?

If that's the case then I can see where one could Parry with a weapon on the same turn that they declare they are readying it (and also, this would allow someone to attempt a disarm in response to a Ready maneuver), but it seems pretty 50/50 to me from the text - is there any 'official'/semi-official/quasi-official post on this?
__________________
How to Be a GURPS GM, author
Game Geekery, Blog (GURPS combat examples, fillable PDF sheets, rules summaries, campaigns and one-shots, intro for beginners)
Discord, unofficial hangout and real-time chat
mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 04:35 AM   #9
The Benj
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Platform Zero, Sydney, Australia
Default Re: Question on Disarm and Ready Weapons

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmet
Exactly, but since you are attacked while readying your weapon you haven't finished your turn/maneuver yet.
Remember, your turn ends when you chose your next maneuver, not when the next person takes his turn (see 3.4.1.3 In combat, when does your turn end? and 3.4.1.10 Could I have a clear description of what a turn is in GURPS?)
Your weapon is Ready. Just like if you take an Attack, your Attack doesn't take until the start of your next turn to resolve, your Readying a weapon doesn't either.
The only case in which I can see this NOT being the case is if someone was holding a Wait to attack you if you did "something aggressive", like, say Readying a weapon. Then their Wait would go off and they'd attack you before you've actually drawn your sword.
Otherwise, you take your Ready maneuver, your sword is now drawn and it's on to someone else's action.
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 04:45 AM   #10
mook
 
mook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Default Re: Question on Disarm and Ready Weapons

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Benj
Your weapon is Ready. Just like if you take an Attack, your Attack doesn't take until the start of your next turn to resolve, your Readying a weapon doesn't either.
Aaaah, that's an excellent point, your Attack doesn't take the entire second from turn-to-turn to resolve, you just declare it, do it, then wait until your next turn comes around again.

I'm shifting from 50/50 to 25/75, I think I will assume this is the correct interpretation until/unless something even more definitive comes along.

Thank you all, on both sides, for taking the time to discuss this - I'm just trying to avoid a lot of rewriting by making sure everything is as correct as I can make it before writing out the examples (in fact, it's likely I'll have even more questions in the days and weeks to come).
__________________
How to Be a GURPS GM, author
Game Geekery, Blog (GURPS combat examples, fillable PDF sheets, rules summaries, campaigns and one-shots, intro for beginners)
Discord, unofficial hangout and real-time chat
mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.