Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-28-2008, 11:31 AM   #1
alaph

Default Skittle Touch

There is a skittles commercial out that has this guy who touches stuff and it turns to skittles (ala Midus). This got me thinking about how to do this in GURPS

Skittle Touch(+370%):
Affliction 10 (HT-9; Advantage, Alternate Form, Skittles, +150%; Extended Duration, Permanent, +150%; Malediction 1, +100%; Melee Attack, -30%)

With this ability any inanimate item touched is turned into an equal volume of Skittles Candy (which immediately separate and fall to the ground if not contained). The level and HT modifier are to allow for all most all objects except for very large (earth sized objects say).
Old 01-28-2008, 04:49 PM   #2
Hockney

Default Re: Skittle Touch

From the commercial:

"Is it awesome...when you can't hold your newborn baby boy in your arms?"

So it's not just inanimate objects. Although I suppose your write-up of the power doesn't make that distinction. But you did mention that in your description.

Btw, link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_SCrHe5t6w
Hockney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 04:56 PM   #3
Hockney

You should also put the "Always On" limitation in there, for -40%
Old 01-28-2008, 05:32 PM   #4
Anaraxes

This conjures up the need for a sourcebook, GURPS: Realms of Commerce, which models "commercial reality". Everything you see in commercials is true. Beer really does cause gorgeous women to hang off you. Giant glass pitchers of drink exist, and can bellow and smash through walls when summoned. Your car is the only car that exists, and all roads are scenic. Mixing chocolate and peanut butter calms emotions in a 30' radius. You can crunch all the chips you want, and the bag makes more.

On the down side, adventurers will be laden with a bewildering array of personal products without constant use of which they acquire maximum unattractiveness, negative charisma, and Odious Personal Habits. And without daily consumption of a vast pharmacopia, they'll be instantly struck down by any number of horrible diseases.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 11:32 PM   #5
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockney
You should also put the "Always On" limitation in there, for -40%
Dunno how dangerous it is to the user, though it, like other 'Midas' powers, looks at least as problematic for the possessor as AO Insubstantiality.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 05:44 AM   #6
Hockney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery
Dunno how dangerous it is to the user, though it, like other 'Midas' powers, looks at least as problematic for the possessor as AO Insubstantiality.
Well, if priced as Insubstantiality, it would get a -50% per Powers pg 99. I didn't think it was quite as inconvenient as Insubstantiality though, considering that your hands seem to be the only part affected(notice he's able to wear clothes that are not made of Skittles). And you can still manipulate normal physical objects, even if transmuting them into Skittles is your only option.

Really though, most 'Midas'-style powers are going to be a disadvantage to their possessor unless they're switchable. This leads me to wonder, what player would take a fairly crippling disadvantage, with limited benefits(unless you're a combat critter, I suppose), and pay for it? It should probably give them some points.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:21 AM   #7
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockney
Well, if priced as Insubstantiality, it would get a -50% per Powers pg 99. I didn't think it was quite as inconvenient as Insubstantiality though, considering that your hands seem to be the only part affected(notice he's able to wear clothes that are not made of Skittles).
The point about the Insubstantiality (or Obscure, FTM) version of AO is that it demonstrates that the limitation is extendible beyond the simple {-10%,-20%,-40%} set described on B110. You're right that the 'Midas' problem is not quite so directly limiting to its possessor as Insub., though we might suppose that the social ramifications would be worse for the former.

I did notice he was clothed... he must have help :x
Old 01-29-2008, 07:47 AM   #8
alaph

I meant for it to have always on....can you have it so that the user can overcome a power with a will check (at minuses)?

I didn't hear that part about the new born on the commercial I saw. The one running here has a young lady and a guy come up to the Skittle Toucher and ask him to demonstrate his powers.

Also I meant to add inanimate only. I'll reedit the power when I get home.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:21 AM   #9
Atreyu_Hibiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery
I did notice he was clothed... he must have help :x
He specifically asks the observers "Did you dress yourself this morning?", implying that he did not. My question is, how on earth does he manage to have a job anyplace else except the Skittles factory?
Old 01-29-2008, 10:30 AM   #10
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atreyu_Hibiki
He specifically asks the observers "Did you dress yourself this morning?", implying that he did not.
Huh, I must have seen a short version, or maybe I wasn't paying full attention. That YouTube link has a lot of dialogue that I don't remember... kinda dark for a candy commercial :/