Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-29-2005, 12:42 AM   #1
Ack

Default Weirdness Magnet

How do you justify the disadvantageous nature of this? -15 points is a whopper; what have you got to do??

Cheers,
Ack
Ack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 12:53 AM   #2
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Default Re: Weirdness Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ack
How do you justify the disadvantageous nature of this? -15 points is a whopper; what have you got to do??

Cheers,
Ack
Nothing, the GM fully controls what happens with that disadate, taking it means your are basicly telling the GM that you are open season for weirdness to target you. in away it one of the most dangerous (for a players point of view) advatgaes to take, on of the few that are worse, is "Cursed" and enemy.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 04:56 AM   #3
TheDS

I don't know if it's a really bad thing, unless you're in a campaign that calls for weirdness, and then, how do you tell if the weirdness is your fault or that of the campaign? Had something like this; one of our players took that disadvantage, and so we saw all kinds of weirdness, and thought it was just his fault and mostly ignored it. But most of those things were happening anyway.

Weirdness magnet is often more of a private thing, and it is usually harmless to your physical well-being. If you see a group of people that looks a lot like you, in line at the same restaurant, and YOU don't have weirdness magnet, then it's probably some one mucking about with alternate timelines or messing with your head, and potentially a threat. But if you notice the guy who HAS the ability seems to talk to all kinds of critters - most of them not your everyday critter - and occasionally hear those critters talk back, but only because they weren't aware you were there, that's probably the Magnet.

If Cthulu stops by to kill you, that's not the Magnet. If he stops to ask directions, THAT'S the Magnet.

When in doubt, reread the description.

Visit (and LIKE) the new More in Sanity page at:
www.facebook.com/moreinsanity
TheDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 07:06 AM   #4
NorthSaber

The point value comes from inconvenience. Weird stuff happening in itself is just funny or odd, but not really harmful. It's the constant attention from the media and fans and weirdos and new-age fanatics and alien hunters and whatnot that make your life difficult. Some may think you're a powerful wizard since demons always seem to follow you; some may think you're a prophet or a saint because of the supernatural events surrounding you; some may think you're worshiping evil; some may think you're a liaison for aliens on earth.

Plus, the GM is free to make all kinds of weird things happen to ruin your plans. For example, just as you're sneaking past the sleeping cyclops guard, your sword starts singing, in a loud voice, the best of Sinatra.

That sort of thing. Doesn't really fit in any of my campaigns.
Old 01-29-2005, 07:17 AM   #5
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSaber
That sort of thing. Doesn't really fit in any of my campaigns.
Which Is why in 3rd There was a special not about GM permtion with this disadvatge, but in 4th the fact it has the Supernatrual icon was proble conisder enough idcation of GM approveal, though I still think it desved special notice even in a supernatrual campain
Old 01-29-2005, 09:19 AM   #6
Digganob

It is also supposed to impose a reaction penalty on people who "understand" what is happening to you. They don't want to be around you and thus it could be troublesome when trying to hire mercs, courting the princess, or even joining any sort of club where you'll be around people allot.
Digganob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 09:28 AM   #7
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Probibly the Perfect example of a Wiredness Magnet would be Auther Dent 8) the poor mundane.
Old 01-29-2005, 09:47 AM   #8
Digren Kaellise

.. or the other guy in the Hitchhiker's novels, the trucker who was (unbeknownst to him) a rain god, and who was always complaining about the gosh-dern rain that followed him around.

It's just one event, not many, but that "GM" is taking the wierdness to the extreme.
Digren Kaellise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 01:11 PM   #9
PK

-15 points is significant. You have to make it a disadvantage for the PC. The way I do so is to tell the player, "Weirdness Magnet is actually a lot like Cursed, except that I get to inconvenience the hell out of you instead of trying to actually kill you. Think of it as a more severe Unluckiness, with flavor." And then I follow through.

Obviously WM is only appropriate in a game where weirdness occurs -- for example, in a perfectly straightforward, mundane "soldiers at war" game, I wouldn't allow it, but if I planned to have some odd themes in the game, it'd be okay. Then, for example, I could do things like have anonymous letters show up during mail call with disturbing arcane symbols in them (stylized swastikas in a WWII game, for example) that cause a bad reaction from the rest of the team ("What kind of crazy **** are you involved in, Johnson?") I might then decide (without telling the player) that those symbols were intended for an undead Nazi general, and he's been stigmatized by them -- for an undetermined length of time, all animals are going to react to him as though he were a corpse... horses buck and run, vultures swoop down and try pecking at him because he's food, etc. This can be very distracting in a war zone, and will earn him major negative reactions from everyone he has to work with. You get the idea.

I've had many players think, "Wow, that's just a fun trait -- it won't be a disadvantage at all!" and I always make sure to let them know that while it's one of the more colorful disadvantages, if they take it, I will ensure that it disadvantages them. Most still take it anyways, which ends up being fun for me and (usually, eventually) fun for the player, if not for his or her character... :)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 02:32 PM   #10
naloth

I treat is as the "life less ordinary" disad. If it almost never happens, when it does it happens to you.

In a normal world you you'll never have a normal day. Errors both for and against you will occur - regularly. You receive mail that's not yours - often something that you wouldn't want to be involved in. You make a run to the supermarket and it gets robbed. You're standing around (outside) talking and a crow lands on your shoulder, looks you in the eye, then flies away. (This freaks players out even if it's just a lark - no pun intended ;)

In a supernatural world you can more fun...
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote