Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 12-11-2007, 04:12 PM   #1
Hanuman47

Default GURPS Eberron: "Quest for the Heart" - [OOC]

Quest for the Heart

***Recruiting is now closed***

INTRODUCTION
Avaroth, Bec (510-525 YK)– Fifth Keeper of the Flame (524-525 YK) and great grandnephew of Third Keeper Darmin Avaroth. Also known as the “Idiot Keeper” due to extreme birth defects that left him both mentally deficient and a nearly helpless cripple. Nonetheless, Kyra Danth, the former keeper, made the Flame’s choice of successor very clear before she died. There is some debate as to whether Bec was even aware of the office he held.

Bec’s pronouncements were difficult for the Council of Cardinals to interpret, but most seemed to be platitudes and homilies on the power of faith. His most notable accomplishment during his brief tenure (a mere 18 months) was to launch the so-called “Quest for the Heart.” Bec saw, in a vision, Siberys’ heart fall from the heavens through a ring of storms to rest upon the earth. Bec warned that should the Heart fall into shadow, the Flame would be extinguished. Most cardinals believed this to be an obscure metaphor until a scholar turned up a reference to an actual region in Xen’drik known as the Ring of Storms. An expedition was organized and set off for the continent of secrets. Before any reports returned, Bec finally succumbed to his lifelong afflictions. No word or trace of the expedition ever came back and it was quietly agreed by the Council to let the matter drop.

- from A History of the Church of the Silver Flame,
Library of Korranberg Press 995 YK

It is now 998 YK and the Church faces increasing challenges from outside and from within. For months now, rumors have been flying about secrets and conspiracies at the highest levels of the Church hierarchy. As an effective agent with a proven record of service, you have been chosen as part of a small team that will attempt to pick up the trail of a quest nearly 500 years old. Details are few, but you have been assured that this is a matter of the utmost importance and secrecy. You must find and penetrate the Ring of Storms, locate the Heart of Siberys (if it even exists) and bring it back to Flamekeep. If you fail, the potential damage to Thrane and possibly the entire world is incalculable.

GENERAL INFORMATION
“Quest for the Heart” is a role-playing adventure for up to 6 characters, set in the world of Eberron. It is very loosely based on the events depicted in the computer game Dragonshard. The Church of the Silver Flame will serve as the patron for this adventure, so all characters should build some reason for working with that organization into their backgrounds (but being a member of the Church is not necessarily a requirement). Role-playing, intrigue, problem-solving, and high fantasy action and combat will all be featured in this scenario. The game will begin with all characters gathering in the freeport of Stormreach.

Players should have at least a passing knowledge of the Eberron setting (see posts below for a basic overview) and be willing to commit to posting a minimum of 3-5 times per week. Players will chosen based on strength of writing ability (as demonstrated in character’s background write-up), how well the character fills a useful niche within the party, and familiarity with setting.

Since the holiday season is a busy time for most, I will keep recruitment open for at least a couple weeks. No characters will be chosen before December 26, so take your time to really think (and write) out your character concept. Only completed characters will be selected, so there’s no point in asking to “reserve” a space. Depending on response, I’m hoping to start this game sometime around the beginning of the new year.

CHARACTER CREATION
Characters will be built on 200 points, with a maximum of 75 points in disadvantages. Ability scores should be no higher than 15 (but I’m always willing to listen to a compelling case). FP and HP can vary by up to 30% (but see below). Please also include a detailed description, personality, and background (at least a paragraph on each) of the character. Characters may (and are encouraged to) set aside up to 10 points for traits that are discovered in-play (to represent the Cinematic “I just remembered I know how to...” phenomenon). Good things to spend these points on include obscure skills, languages, Contacts, etc. As long as they make sense for your character as established in background and play, I’ll be receptive to your spending them however you like. However, they can’t be spent on already existing traits (this includes buying off disadvantages).

After spending a few months lurking on the GURPS forum, I’ve absorbed the credo of never doing more grunt work than necessary, so I’m not going to create a complete booklet of racial templates, dragonmark conversions, etc. Tell me your concept and I’ll help you work out the mechanics to go with it. Also, please note that I am far more interested in replicating the spirit of the setting than in exactly emulating d20 mechanics (I fled that world for a reason).

That said, here’s a few general guidelines. Arcane spellcasters (wizard-types) use the standard spellcasting rules outlined in GURPS Magic. Divine spellcasters (cleric- and druid-types) use the Ritual Magic rules, although they will be limited to a few colleges (exactly which ones depend upon the character’s religion). Other exotic traits (including psionics) should be built as advantages. Most supernatural powers should have some level of Costs Fatigue or Limited Uses (I favor the former over the latter, although limited uses could make sense for such things as boons granted by Faeries or what not). Characters are limited to 3 levels of Magery, Power Investiture, or Talents. Characters may purchase Fatigue Points (exotic ability only, -10%) equal to twice their Magery/Power Investiture/Talent.

Since a good deal of the action will take place away from “civilization”, money will not be a major factor in this scenario. Your character can start with any TL 4 or lower mundane (i.e., non-magical, non-alchemical) equipment you can carry (within reason – I reserve the right to veto anything that seems abusive). One exception - there are no gunpowder weapons in Eberron. Encumbrance will be enforced! Characters will be assigned additional special items or information as seems appropriate to their backgrounds; feel free to make suggestions.

Last edited by Hanuman47; 12-31-2007 at 10:59 AM.
Hanuman47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 07:47 PM   #2
t@nya

Default Re: GURPS Eberron: "Quest for the Heart" - Recruiting/OOC

I'd love to play but I don't know whether my knowledge of Eberron is enough. I've gained a little familiarity from long hours of watching my flatmate play D&D Stormreach (set in Eberron). Will that be enough or should I just not bother?

Last edited by t@nya; 12-11-2007 at 09:12 PM.
t@nya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 08:20 PM   #3
Hanuman47

Default Eberron Overview (part 1 of 3)

Sounds like a good start to me! It occurs to me that I have actually put together a very basic overview of the setting, which I should have included above. I'll rectify that right now (multiple posts - it's a lot of info).

Since this was originally written for D&D groups, there may be a few references to d20 concepts; please overlook these.

If you're familiar with DDO then you should be familiar with the starting location of the campaign, Stormreach. However, I've never played the game, so my vision of the city will probably be a bit different from what you're used to.

Wikipedia has decent articles on Eberron and many of the individual concepts (races, dragonmarks, religions, etc.)

EBERRON SETTING INFORMATION
This is a very brief overview intended to serve as a basic reference guide for terms that may crop up. Concepts important to the scenario will be expanded upon in game.

Recent History

Most action in the world of Eberron takes place on the continent of Khorvaire. Up until a hundred years ago the largely human empire of Galifar dominated most of the continent until a dispute over succession plunged the component Five Nations into war. Now called the Last War (on the assumption that the combatants would be so exhausted afterwards that they would not fight again), this conflict lasted until the Mourning, a magical disaster that utterly destroyed the nation of Cyre. No one knows what caused the Mourning or if it will happen again. The remaining nations, weakened from a century of fighting, were unable to hold all of their pre-war territory and have splintered.

Nations of Khorvaire
Aundaire – one of the original Five Nations; known for fine wines and mastery of matters arcane. The Arcane Congress, a magical research institute, is located here.

Breland – one of the original Five Nations; the largest and most industrialized nation. Sharn, the City of Towers (some nearly a mile high) is located here.

Cyre – one of the original Five Nations; known for highly developed arts and culture. Now knows as the Mournland, a hellish waste inhabited by corpses and twisted mutations. The Lord of Blades, a renegade warforged (see below) leader is trying to create a nation for his people here.

Darguun – Formed by the tribal remnants of the goblinoid empire that dominated the continent before humans and elves arrived. The empire was weakened repelling an invasion of beings from the Realm of Madness and later broke up under internal conflict and conquest/pressure from Sarlonan colonists.

Demon Wastes- A blasted land far to the northwest. Said to be inhabited by the remnants of the fiends who dominated the world when it was first formed.

Droaam – Formerly the western reaches of Breland. This is a nation of monsters: gnolls, trolls, ogres, minotaurs, medusa, harpies, and others, all under the rule (barely) of three hags, the legendary Daughters of Sora Kell.

Eldeen Reaches – Formerly the western reaches of Aundaire. This largely wooded nation is ruled by several druidic sects which don’t always see eye to eye, but all are loyal to Oalian, the greatpine that guides them all.

Karrnath – One of the original Five Nations; notorious for its use of undead to bolster its armies during the Last War. The Twelve, a magical research institution maintained by the Dragonmarked Houses (see below), is located here.

Lhazaar Principalities – Collection of islands off the eastern coast of Khorvaire. First area colonized by humans. Now ruled by a loose confederation of “sea princes” (read: pirates).

Mror Holds – The homeland of the dwarves, formerly the eastern reaches of Karrnath. Heavily mountainous, rich in mineral wealth.

Q’Barra – Mostly jungle held by primitive lizardfolk. Refugees from the Last War have attempted to form a New Galifar along the coast and main river.

Shadow Marches – Swampy nation inhabited mostly by orcs and humans from the second wave of colonization. Riddled with bizarre cults and generally considered backwards.

Talenta Plains – The homeland of the halflings, who have a nomadic, tribal culture. Most known for its dinosaur riders and herders.

Thrane – One of the original Five Nations; known for being the center of the Church of the Silver Flame. A theocracy, Thrane remains largely isolationist in the wake of the Last War.

Valenar – formerly the eastern reaches of Cyre, now dominated by an elven culture with a strong mounted warrior tradition.

Zilargo – The homeland of the gnomes. Outwardly an open, friendly society, but rigidly controlled by the Trust, a secret police force. The Library of Korranberg, a repository of knowledge and scholarly institute, is located here.

Other Places
Aerenal – Island nation south of Khorvaire. Homeland of the elves, who migrated there millennia ago. The Aereni are known to be obsessed with death, to the point that they preserve their ancestors through powerful magic.

Argonessen – Continent controlled by the dragons who allow no infiltration by the “lesser races.”

Sarlona – Continent where humanity arose. Formerly heavily balkanized, now only a few nations remain. The mighty empire of Riedra dominates most of the continent, ruled by the mysterious Inspired, who are said to be of divine origin. The tiny mountain nation of Adar maintains its independence through a combination of difficult terrain, supernatural defenses and (reputedly) draconic guardians.

Seren – A series of islands off the coast of Argonessen. Inhabited by various humanoids who have a barbaric culture centered around veneration of dragons.

Xen’Drik – The “continent of secrets.” Tens of thousand years ago was dominated by Giants who were far more advanced than modern humanoids. A cataclysm destroyed their civilization which now lies in ruins while the giants themselves have descended into barbarism. The elves originated here and were originally the giants’ slaves.

Last edited by Hanuman47; 12-11-2007 at 09:07 PM.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:34 PM   #4
Hanuman47

Default Eberron Overview (part 2 of 3)

Races
Many of the standard races have been given interesting twists on their traditional fantasy roles. In addition, there are four new races.

Changelings – Humanoids with doppelganger ancestry; can change their appearance at will. Found largely in urban areas, they have a reputation for being untrustworthy.

Drow
– The dark elves were slaves of the giants along with their lighter cousins. When the elves fled Xen’drik, the drow remained in the jungles. Most tribes that have been contacted are savage and many seem to revere the scorpion as either a symbol of power or an actual diety.

Dwarves – Main culture group is in the Mror Holds, not much different from the Tolkien stereotype, although the modern dwarf is more likely to fight with wealth rather than arms. Many dwarves are simply a part of the dominant Five Nations culture.

Elan – These are humans whose tissues have been replaced, through a painful and dangerous process, by the stuff of dreams or madness. There are very few in the world and they tend to be secretive; most people are unaware of their existence.

Elves – Aereni elves are the main culture group; isolationist and obsessed with death. The Valenar are an offshoot of the Aereni; they are obsessed more with deeds of martial valor and venerate their ancestors’ deeds rather than the ancestors themselves. Many elves, however, are simply a part of the dominant Five Nations culture.

Gnomes – Generally extroverted and voracious seekers of knowledge. This has a darker side, as gnomes have a reputation for intrigue, manipulation, and infighting.

Goblinoids – Millennia ago their Dhakaan Empire dominated Khorvaire before an extra planar invasion weakened it and later settlement by the humans finished the job. Now most goblinoids outside of Darguun and Droamm are either mercenaries or form an underclass throughout the Five Nations.

Half-Elves – Also called the khoravar, they are a true-breeding race with a vibrant culture of their own that largely centers on the two half-elf Dragonmarked Houses.

Halflings
– Traditional halflings are part of the nomadic plains culture. Urbanized halflings tend to be a part of the dominant Five Nations culture, but still maintain a strong reverence for their tribal roots.

Half-Orcs and Orcs– The orcs are a deeply spiritual people, but technologically backwards and in decline. Their druidic traditions are the oldest in Khorvaire and are responsible for helping repel the invasion that destroyed the Dhakaan Empire. Since that time, many orcs have turned to venerating darker things. In the Shadow Marches, many tribes intermingle orcs and humans and most inhabitants of that nation are a mixture to some degree of the two races.

Kalashtar – Beautiful humans who share their souls with refugee spirits from the Plane of Dreams. Most have psionic abilities. Found largely in their homeland of Adar and urban areas of Khorvaire.

Shifters
– Humanoids with lycanthrope ancestry; can assume bestial characteristics for short periods of time. Found largely in rural areas, especially in the Eldeen Reaches.

Warforged – Artificial beings that have been animated and given true souls with powerful magic. Created to serve as soldiers near the end of the Last War. Now emancipated by the Treaty of Thronehold, they are struggling to define their place in the world.

Dragonmarks and the Dragonmarked Houses
For reasons unknown, members of some of the races living in Khorvaire have developed Dragonmarks, a sort of arcane birthmark that grants unusual abilities. These marks follow bloodlines, but not always predictably. These bloodlines have formed into Houses which are a lot like trans-national corporations. Each House is devoted to a particular type of economic activity relating to the powers provided by its mark. The Dragonmarked Houses are:

Cannith (Mark of Making, human) – concerned with artifice all kinds, especially magical. Created the warforged and the lightning rail (the latter with help from Zilargo elemental binding experts).

Deneith (Mark of Sentinel, human) – concerned with mercenary and personal security services. Also operates an international police force.

Ghallanda (Mark of Hospitality, halfling) – concerned with inns and restaurants.

Jorasco (Mark of Healing, halfling) – concerned with hospitals and healing services of all kinds.

Kundarak (Mark of Warding, dwarf) – concerned with site security and, most importantly, banking.

Lyrandar (Mark of Storm, half-elf) – concerned with weather control and transportation by water. Also operate most of the few airships in existence (created with help from Zilargo elemental binding experts).

Medani (Mark of Detection, half-elf) – concerned with investigation and, to a lesser extent, personal security.

Orien (Mark of Passage, human) – concerned with overland transportation; couriers, caravans, and the lightning rail (magical trains powered by bound elementals).

Phiarlan (Mark of Shadow, elf) – concerned with entertainment and (reputedly) espionage.

Sivis (Mark of Scribing, gnome) – concerned with scribing and, more importantly, long distance communications through the message stone network (sort of a magical telegraph service).

Tharashk (Mark of Finding, human, half-orc, orc) – concerned with mining and resource gathering, especially of dragonshards (see below). To a lesser extent, they deal in bounty hunting and mercenary services.

Thuranni (Mark of Shadow, elf) – A splinter group from House Phiarlan, also concerned with entertainment and espionage. More blatant about the latter than Phiarlan.

Vadalis (Mark of Handling, human) – concerned with animal husbandry. Breeders of animals of all sorts, especially magebred animals (livestock enhanced through magical means).

It is said that there was once a thirteenth mark, the Mark of Death, carried by the now extinct elvish Vol bloodline. In addition, there is the phenomenon of “aberrant” marks, dragonmarks which are thought to arise from mixing dragonmarked bloodlines and cause dangerous powers and insanity in their bearers.

Religion
There are several faiths prevalent throughout Khorvaire and beyond. It should be noted that divine magic is not as common as in most settings; most priests and ministers are experts, or less commonly adepts, not clerics. Clerics and paladins are the rare champions of their faiths. Some faiths do recognize gods in the traditional sense, although they do not dwell in any known plane of existence. Indeed, some argue that the gods don’t exist at all, that divine magic is simply a manifestation of the faith of extraordinary individuals. The common religions are:

The Church of the Silver Flame – This is a very hierarchical, centralized religion. It follows the Silver Flame, an otherworldly force of Good that speaks through only one designated individual at a time. The current Keeper of the Flame is a ten year-old girl. The Church of the Silver Flame believes in directly confronting the forces of Evil. Lay followers are not expected to take up arms, but rather to fight evil by living a pure, upstanding life. The Church has its share of problems with over-zealotry and corruption, but is mostly a positive force. Centered in Thrane, but has adherents throughout the Five Nations.

The Sovereign Host and the Dark Six – This is a more decentralized, almost folk religion. It recognizes a pantheon of deities as well as a handful of darker, outcast gods.

The Sovereign Host
Arawai – Goddess of Agriculture
Aureon – God of Law and Knowledge
Balinor – God of Beasts and the Hunt
Boldrei – God of Community and Hearth
Dol Arrah – Goddess of Honor and Sacrifice
Dol Dorn – God of Strength at Arms
Kol Korran – God of Trade and Wealth
Olladra – Goddess of Feast and Good Fortune
Onatar – God of Artifice and the Forge

The Dark Six
The Devourer – destructive forces of nature
The Fury – madness and passion
The Keeper – death and greed
The Mockery – treachery and betrayal
The Shadow - forbidden knowledge and evil magic
The Traveler - Trickery and gifts with a price

The Blood of Vol – This religion preaches that death is oblivion, a foul trick played on mortals by the gods, and that the only way to defeat it is through undeath. The religion is based in Karrnath. Officially banned by King Kaius, it still enjoys widespread popular support.

The Undying Court
– This is the state religion of Aerenal. The Undying Court consists of deceased elves who have been preserved through advanced necromantic techniques. Individual members are nowhere near divine in ability, but the Court as a whole wields enormous collective power.

Cults of the Dragon Below – This is a blanket title for all manner of lunatic groups and individuals that worship assorted horrors that dwell in the darkest depths.

The Path of Light – This is a less of a religion and more of a philosophy of self-discipline and personal development. Practiced by Adarans and kalashtar living abroad.

Last edited by Hanuman47; 12-11-2007 at 10:02 PM.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:45 PM   #5
Hanuman47

Default Eberron Overview (part 3 of 3)

Magic
Magic in Eberron forms the backbone of technology. While extremely powerful magic is rare in everydayt life, more common spells provide many of the conveniences and services that improve the standard of living. Cities are lit by continual light lanterns. The lightning rail and elemental-bound air and sea vessels provide rapid transportation. Many of the goods and services provided by the Houses are enhanced by Dragonmark magic. Cannith’s artificers and magewrights can create magical marvels for those who can pay.

Dragonshards are relatively rare crystals that are important to the magical economy. There are three types. Khyber shards are relatively abundant but difficult to get to. They are found deep underground and are necessary for items that bind and harness the power of elementals and other outsiders. Eberron shards are the most abundant and are found buried in shallow earth and are a necessary component for most “mundane” magic items. Siberys shards, the rarest of the three, fall from the sky, from the Ring of Siberys, mostly in Xen’drik and are used to create items that enhance Dragonmark abilities and psionic powers.

Cosmology
Creation myths hold that the universe is formed from the bodies of the three Progenitor Dragons: Khyber, Siberys, and Eberron. When Khyber attacked his brother Siberys, he tore him to pieces. Eberron interposed herself between them, wrapping Khyber in her coils. Thus, Siberys became the heavens (seen in the golden Ring of Siberys that surrounds the planet and also in the stars and the twelve moons), Eberron became the surface of the world, and Khyber became the black depths below.

In addition, thirteen fragments of reality orbit the world in some metaphysical manner understood only by a handful of arcane scholars. It is said that when their orbit brings them near their effects bleed into the real world. There are also places, called manifest zones, that have a more or less permanent connection to one or more planes and in which the laws of nature are altered. The planes are:

Dal Quor, the Region of Dreams
Daanvi, the Perfect Order
Dolurhh, the Realm of the Dead
Fernia, the Sea of Fire
Irian, the Endless Day
Kythri, the Churning Chaos
Lammania, the Twilight Forest
Mabar, the Eternal Night
Risia, the Plain of Ice
Shavarath, the Battleground
Syrania, the Azure Sky
Thelanis, the Faerie Court
Xoriat, the Realm of Madness

Time Keeping
There are twelve months in the year, each 28 days long. A day is 24 hours. Months are divided into four seven-day weeks (Sul, Mol, Zol, Wir, Zor, Far, Sar). The months of the year are named for each named for one of the moons. For reasons unknown, each moon is brighter during the month that bears its name.
Month/Moon - Season
Zarantyr - Mid Winter
Olarune - Late Winter
Therendor - Early Spring
Eyre - Mid Spring
Dravago - Late Spring
Nymm - Early Summer
Lharvion - Mid Summer
Barrakas - Late Summer
Rhaan - Early Autumn
Sypheros - Mid Autumn
Aryth - Late Autumn
Vult - Early Winter

The current calendar is counted from the founding of the Kingdom of Galifar.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:03 PM   #6
t@nya

Default Re: Eberron Overview (part 1 of 3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanuman47
Sounds like a good start to me!
Okay, I'll spend some time familiarising myself with more of the setting and then start working on my character.

Dragonmarks allow you do special things, like magic, right? Are you going to post the different dragonmarks or allow us to try and stat out the special effects?
Old 12-11-2007, 09:27 PM   #7
Hanuman47

Yes, dragonmarks grant magical abilities that are more powerful the bigger the and more complex the mark is. They usually manifest during adolescence and may grow larger over time. If there's a specific one you're interested in, I'll stat out the options (feel free to make suggestions about how you want it to work). A general overview of the powers granted (there is some overlap, just as the Houses compete in some economic activities):

Mark of Detection (House Medani): Simple Detect-based abilities and Discriminatory Senses

Mark of Finding (House Tharashk): More directed Detect abilities

Mark of Handling (House Vadalis): Control, speak to, and enhance the abilities of animals

Mark of Healing (House Jorasco): Healing, curing

Mark of Hospitality: Creating and enhancing food and drink

Mark of Making: Repairing or creating objects

Mark of Passage: Minor teleport, flight, or summoning magical mount

Mark of Scribing: Telesend abilities and magical manipulation of printed matter

Mark of Sentinel: Magical protection/defenses (for animate beings)

Mark of Shadow: Minor illusion/clairsentience

Mark of Storm: Weather manipulation, weather-based attacks, protection from weather

Mark of Warding: Magical protection/defenses (for inanimate objects)

Aberrant Dragonmarks: Usually some sort of Affliction or Innate Attack, often with some kind of negative consequence for the user. Other abilities (just about any not found in a true dragonmark) are possible.

Last edited by Hanuman47; 12-11-2007 at 09:35 PM.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:32 PM   #8
Hanuman47

Default Re: Dragonmarks

I should also mention that having a dragonmark may have social consequences as well. Either you are a member of a Dragonmarked House (which entails both rights and responsibilities), an "orphan" that the House would like to bring back into the fold, or an exile from the House. Aberrant dragonmarked are considered enemies of all the true Dragonmarked Houses.

In GURPS terms, this can translate to such things as Claim to Hospitality, Contact, Patron, Duty, Enemy, Sense of Duty, etc.

Last edited by Hanuman47; 12-11-2007 at 09:58 PM.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:38 PM   #9
t@nya

Thanks. :) I'm going to spend a day or so mulling over my options and then get back to you with the race and/or dragonmark I'd like. I'm assuming the warforgeds, as an artificial race, can't have dragonmarks.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:40 PM   #10
Hanuman47

Correct. In the section about the Dragonmarked Houses, it says which races can bear which particular dragonmark. Aberrant dragonmarks can be found on any race that can have a true dragonmark (human, elf, dwarf, gnome, halfling, half-elf, half-orc, orc)

Last edited by Hanuman47; 12-11-2007 at 09:48 PM.