Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2005, 05:33 PM   #1
NorthSaber
 
NorthSaber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Default Shtick ideas

The perk Shtick is a great idea, but because Signature Gear covers so many cinematic staples such as hats you can never lose permanently or sunglasses that never get broken, I'd like for everyone to start brainstorming ideas for Shticks.

To get the ball rolling, perhaps some kind of a cool finishing move in combat could be a shtick, or perhaps that whenever you're about to drop your weapon because of a fumble, you get a DX roll to catch it as it is falling back down. (I know shtick's aren't supposed to give combat benefits, but I think this is minor enough.)

Any more ideas? Feel free to use movies and books as inspiration - I'm totally blanking here. ^_^
__________________
Vampires vs. Werewolves >=)
NorthSaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 05:39 PM   #2
CharlesGriswold
 
CharlesGriswold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: My Fortress of Arrogance somewhere under Richland, Washington, USA.
Default Re: Shtick ideas

Shtick: always has at least one stick of chewing gum in his shirt pocket.
Quirk: always chews gum during combat, but not otherwise.
__________________
"Sure, shooting him would take care of the problem, but beating him mercilessly with a bokken would be more satisfying."
-- Me *grin*
CharlesGriswold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 06:47 PM   #3
mlangsdorf
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Default Re: Shtick ideas

My wife's Victorian ninja-housemaid character has the Shtick that she do high kicks in full bustle and corset.
mlangsdorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 09:03 PM   #4
lunar
 
lunar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Marysville Washington
Default Re: Shtick ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSaber
The perk Shtick is a great idea, but because Signature Gear covers so many cinematic staples such as hats you can never lose permanently or sunglasses that never get broken, I'd like for everyone to start brainstorming ideas for Shticks.

To get the ball rolling, perhaps some kind of a cool finishing move in combat could be a shtick, or perhaps that whenever you're about to drop your weapon because of a fumble, you get a DX roll to catch it as it is falling back down. (I know shtick's aren't supposed to give combat benefits, but I think this is minor enough.)

Any more ideas? Feel free to use movies and books as inspiration - I'm totally blanking here. ^_^
A common one in fiction is the lack of compromising modesty while Shapeshifting. The Hulk doesn't lose his pants. The Animorphs can morph leotards.
lunar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 09:11 PM   #5
lunar
 
lunar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Marysville Washington
Default Re: Shtick ideas

Is this one too powerful: doesn't scar from regular combat injuries?
Or another scar related one: doesn't scar despite daily hypodermic abuse.
lunar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 09:12 PM   #6
vitruvian
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default Re: Shtick ideas

Quote:
My wife's Victorian ninja-housemaid character has the Shtick that she do high kicks in full bustle and corset.
Shtick: Never have DX penalties or have to roll for footing due to heels.

Shtick: Breath is always fresh. Mentos!

Shtick: Knows how to kick common coin-operated appliances to get them to operate. Hey-ey!

Shtick: Always has good parking karma.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 09:41 PM   #7
DryaUnda
 
DryaUnda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: San Francisco
Default Re: Shtick ideas

One minute into this thread, and I've already go this idea in my mind: the iconic Mary-Sue Advantage; an Advantage where all of the little things in life go right for your character.

I hope this isn't considered post-derailment, but are there any ideas for how to best represent this "Omni-Shtick" Advantage?

P.S. I'll have to remember to think up some shticks to add, this looks like a fun thread. :)
__________________
Warnng: DryaUnda is psychologically abnormal and likely to say something weird; reader discretion is advised.
DryaUnda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 09:50 PM   #8
PK
Assistant GURPS Line Editor
 
PK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Dobbstown Sane Asylum
Default Re: Shtick ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryaUnda
One minute into this thread, and I've already go this idea in my mind: the iconic Mary-Sue Advantage; an Advantage where all of the little things in life go right for your character.

I hope this isn't considered post-derailment, but are there any ideas for how to best represent this "Omni-Shtick" Advantage?

P.S. I'll have to remember to think up some shticks to add, this looks like a fun thread. :)
Modular Abilities (Cosmic, 1 point; Mental and Physical, +100%; Only for Schticks, -80%; Reduced Time 1, +20%) [14]

There. You now have any Shtick you want, any time you want it. Your only limitation is that you can only have one at a time. Note that this is comparable to a level of Luck or Serendipity -- yet another bit of proof, to me, that 4E is damn well point balanced. :)
__________________
Reverend Pee Kitty of the Order Malkavian-Dobbsian (Twitter) (LJ)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 10:22 PM   #9
DryaUnda
 
DryaUnda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: San Francisco
Default Re: Shtick ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Pee_Kitty
Modular Abilities (Cosmic, 1 point; Mental and Physical, +100%; Only for Schticks, -80%; Reduced Time 1, +20%) [14]
Thank you. I actually feel slight jealousy for not having thought of this myself, so it must be good. :)

I said I should think up some shticks, and so I did:
  • Can soliloquize without verbally stumbling.
  • Convenient scheduling.
  • Dramatic hair.
  • Eyes change color.
  • Ignore logic (with successful roll).
  • Look good even when dirty.
  • Mascot.
  • Not trip due to clothing.
  • Odious behavior considered a positive character trait.
  • Porn star sex.
  • Trinket (variant of Gizmo).
__________________
Warnng: DryaUnda is psychologically abnormal and likely to say something weird; reader discretion is advised.
DryaUnda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 10:44 PM   #10
CharlesGriswold
 
CharlesGriswold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: My Fortress of Arrogance somewhere under Richland, Washington, USA.
Default Re: Shtick ideas

Infinite supply of clean T-shirts (think Flash Gordon).
Hat stays on despite the wind, a.k.a "Hat Stapled to Forehead" (think Indiana Jones).
Long, flowing clothing doesn't get in the way of acrobatics and martial arts (any Hong Kong martial arts flick).

One-point Signature Gear could count as a Shtick.
__________________
"Sure, shooting him would take care of the problem, but beating him mercilessly with a bokken would be more satisfying."
-- Me *grin*
CharlesGriswold is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.