Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 10-30-2007, 10:18 PM   #1
Yamiblade

Default Envy

Is their any Demon who holds the word of Envy?
we know The D Man is most likely pride, Sloth's dead, Andre's got lust, Haagenti's got gluttony, forgot who has greed and I'm sure several demons have wrath indirectly covered
Yamiblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 04:39 AM   #2
Moonsword

Default Re: Envy

The minor Prince Mammon holds the Word of Greed and is covered in Superiors 4. If I had to put money on one of the Princes for Wrath, I'd call it Belial. As for Envy... I have no idea. A major Word-Bound under Valefor, maybe?
Moonsword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 08:24 AM   #3
OneSeventeen

Or a major word-bound under Greed. Maybe he's too minor for that? Just wild speculation.
OneSeventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 01:49 PM   #4
robkelk
Untitled

Of course whoever has the Word of Envy is a minor Word-bound demon. If he was higher in the pecking order, he wouldn't have as many superiors to envy, would he? Staying lower-powered serves his Word better, whether he likes it or not.

As for who his Prince is, I'd be tempted to say Malphas. Envy is a wonderful tool for factionalizing groups, after all...
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 03:59 PM   #5
JAW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamiblade
Is their any Demon who holds the word of Envy?
we know The D Man is most likely pride, Sloth's dead, Andre's got lust, Haagenti's got gluttony, forgot who has greed and I'm sure several demons have wrath indirectly covered
Umm - I suppose the big D is the prince of lies - if any word.

I suppose there's still a corps of servitors of sloth around - there's still an occasional good intention out there that is in danger of becoming a good action rather than a piece of pavement in the highway to hell..
Maybe Envy has multiple servitors who each think that they are subordinate to another demon who is in the charge of the word even though there's no single high ranking wordbound envy.
JAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 10:31 PM   #6
Moe Lane

Default Re: Envy (Matsema)

My take on the concept. :)

Moe

Mastema
Habbalite Duke of Envy

Corporeal Forces: 6 Strength: 12 Agility: 12
Ethereal Forces: 6 Intelligence: 12 Precision: 12
Celestial Forces: 6 Will: 12 Perception: 12
Vessel/6 (male), Charisma +3
Word-Forces: 20

Skills: Detect Lies/3, Dodge/6, Emote/3, Fighting/6, Knowledge (Human Psychology/6, Kronos' Hierarchy/6, The Archives/6), Large Weapon/6 (sword), Lying/3, Move Silently/3, Small Weapon/6 (knife)

Songs: Entropy (All/6, virtuoso), Healing (All/4), Motion (All/3), Shields (All/6, virtuoso), Tongues (All/4), all of Kronos' secret songs at /3

Attunements: All of Fate's unrestricted Band and Servitor attunements, Duke of Envy (Mastema has been granted knowledge of both 900 - 1000 AD and 1000 - 1100 AD)

Duke of Envy: 1). Mastema has the ability to inflict Envy as part of his resonance. This will cause the target to desire the possessions or accomplishments of another (chosen at the time of the resonance use); if given the opportunity to somehow steal either, the target will try to do so if he fails a Will roll. The target will also react at a negative (CD of the resonance roll) to the person chosen to be the focus of the target's Envy. Both effects last for 1 hour. Mastema may give this out as an attunement, including to non-Habbalah! 2). Mastema does not suffer dissonance when he absorbs Envy from a backlash. 3). Mastema automatically detects what thing a mortal is most envious about.

Rites:
All of Kronos' Rites, plus the following:

: Make someone envious of another person without resonance use (3x day)
: Publicly criticize someone in a fashion that would make others envious of him (cumulative with the first)
: Cause a Servitor of Destiny to Fall (+2 Essence)
: Cause a Soldier of Destiny to become Damned
: Prevent a Servitor of Fate from going Renegade

Mastema? Mastema has it all.

He is at the absolute top of the greasy pole of rank in Fate's organization. He is a powerful Duke with a powerful Word - an actual Deadly Sin, no less! - and whatever he wants, he gets. He has an army of servants dedicated to his every directive and whim, and he is the most welcome of VIP guests in those portions of Hell suitable for outside demonic tourism. Not that this is anything except Mastema's due, given that he's here to show these fool demons how to really do the work of the Lord.

The best part is that he doesn't even have to go to Earth anymore. Mastema hated Earth: it was... messy. He likes it much better in Kronos' nice, clean Archives, where human souls are reduced to their proper place and form: a dingy manila file folder that no one ever bothers to read. Actually, he likes it much better running Kronos' Archives, which is what he pretty much does. It's not his name on the door of the "official" Head Archivist, but then it never is. "Official" Head Archivists are there to take the blame on those rare occasions where Mastema instructs the staff to do something that ends up going wrong badly enough to merit Kronos' attention. It doesn't happen often, but when it does, the Habbalite is covered for it. Again, nothing but Mastema's due, for he deserves it all. And he's not shy about saying so, given his status and his power. Yes. Mastema has it all.

Well.

Almost.

Moe Lane.com
Moe Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 01:47 AM   #7
Methariel

Hi all,

I like both concepts presented here, be it the Demon of Envy being a lowly Word-bound always envious of those above him or the powerful nobleman (or -woman) from Hell who's got everything he (she) deserves.
Given Hell itself being driven by a lot of Envy (just look at Vapula's "organization"), and large parts of Earth, too, it surely makes for a powerful word - maybe as powerful as Destruction (and we all know what happened to that one). So perhaps Lucifer wouldn't like having such a powerful demon around... But that's just speculation.

However, there's one thing in your concept I don't really understand, Moe:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe Lane
My take on the concept. :)

[...]

Word-Forces: 20

Skills: Detect Lies/3, Dodge/6, Emote/3, Fighting/6, Knowledge (Human Psychology/6, Kronos' Hierarchy/6, The Archives/6), Large Weapon/6 (sword), Lying/3, Move Silently/3, Small Weapon/6 (knife)

Songs: Entropy (All/6, virtuoso), Healing (All/4), Motion (All/3), Shields (All/6, virtuoso), Tongues (All/4), all of Kronos' secret songs at /3

[...]
The first thing is 20 Word-Forces: Wouldn't 16 to 18 have sufficed?

And viewing Mastema's skills and Songs I'm asking myself why he has to be that combat-heavy. He's a master in brawling, sword-fighting, knife-fighting (and dodging) as well as he can use Shields and Entropy virtuosly (although I'd concede the last one to him. given his affiliation to Fate). Moreover, I don't see why he'd need all Healing- and Motion-Songs. I assume that he has picked up several Songs over the centuries, but that array...?
I want to make it clear, though, that I don't intend to criticize you personally, Moe. I'd just like to have an explanation to understand better the view of Envy as a combat-related-Word.

Thank you for the answer,

Methariel
Old 11-05-2007, 05:51 AM   #8
Moe Lane

The short answer to your question, Methariel, is because Kronos is a bast*rd.

No, seriously, think about it for a second. :)

Moe Lane.com
Moe Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 09:12 AM   #9
JAW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methariel
Given Hell itself being driven by a lot of Envy (just look at Vapula's "organization"), and large parts of Earth, too, it surely makes for a powerful word -
The first thing is 20 Word-Forces: Wouldn't 16 to 18 have sufficed?
Didn't Metha answer his(her?) question here before even asking it?

About the combat heawines - maybe the word is not that combat oriented but I suppose getting and keeping it might involve lot of combat..

I'm not sure if the superior of envy should be kronos, malphas or none/lucifer but I think if there's any wordbound Habbalite is the perfect band choice. At least it directs somewhat more of the envy towards the angels rather than demon princes..
JAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 02:47 AM   #10
Voort

Alternate answer to Methariel's question: because Mastema has to maintain control of his fleet of demonic pirates.

Also, a question of my own: How does Mastema feel in regards to Vapula? Resentful of the Prince's power? Covetous of those wonderful toys? Or pointedly ignoring all this newfangled Technology nonsense?

[/Idle curiosity]
Voort is offline   Reply With Quote