Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > SJ Games Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 07:19 PM   #11
friadoc

Default Re: Is a 5th Edition coming soon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
An unequivocal "no." We haven't even thought about a "Fourth Edition Revised," much less a Fifth Edition. If people are still playing pen-and-paper RPGs in 2017, ask again then. ;)
Feh, 2017.

We all know it's gonna be 2012, I mean, unless you're calling the Aztecs liars.

*grins*
Old 08-16-2007, 07:31 PM   #12
Hex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by friadoc
Feh, 2017.

We all know it's gonna be 2012, I mean, unless you're calling the Aztecs liars.

*grins*
Yeah but it is gonna make one hell of a Fallout LARP game.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:44 AM   #13
hackbarth

And while I found funny that someone could imagine that a 5th edition of GURPS could be in the works, D&D will launch a new edition next year...

Now 4e GURPS and 3e D&D where not only necessary, but mandatory to the hobby to survive. But this?

Personally I think of that as a underhanded tactic to milk money from players. And that after all the critcism of 3.5 being released only to make more money.

Not SJGames, so I posted a topic in Gnomes of Zurich. Fire on there.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:01 AM   #14
hackbarth

Forget about it.

Six gun sam beat me to it in the Roleplaying in General forum.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:22 PM   #15
Þorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamergirl
The Complete Idiot?
I'd buy that...

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Old 08-17-2007, 11:31 PM   #16
David Johansen

Hmmm: GURPS Idiots, I wonder if the staff at SJG would let me write that? I'm sure some of them would argree I've shown myself to have special qualifications for the job. :D

I'd probably steer away from the gamers I've known and base the archetypes on people I've known from church, though really I've known fewer gamers who believed in alien abductions and sinister conspiracies than church folks.

Or I could do a world book where everyone is limited to IQ 8 and must have the Clueless disadvantage.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:55 PM   #17
Mgellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackbarth
And while I found funny that someone could imagine that a 5th edition of GURPS could be in the works, D&D will launch a new edition next year...

Now 4e GURPS and 3e D&D where not only necessary, but mandatory to the hobby to survive. But this?
I have to agree with this...

I think the biggest reason we will probably not see GURPS 5e for a long time (if ever) is simply that it isn't necessary. GURPS 4e works so well that I'm not sure a truly comprehensive update to the rules will ever be needed.

I could see, in five or ten years, a new version of the Basic Set that fixes a few things, adds a few new rules for special cases didn't get covered in any other books, etc. But that's more like GURPS 4.2. :)

Mark

P.S. I think GURPS Idiots would be a terrific book. :)
Old 08-30-2007, 11:01 AM   #18
Happypuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamergirl
Saayy WHAT? !!!

Yer frellin' kidding me, already.

That frellin' sux. No offense to you WotC fans, but most of my friends that are huge d20 fans will agree that they can't seem to release anything worthwhile as it is, and they only nod their heads in agreement when I state that 90% of their releases over the past five yarins have been pure dren... Races of Stone, indeed, what's next, Races of Algae and Pond Scum? The Complete Idiot?
Sheesh.

GG
And so much of it. It seems with that many books coming out all the time, there is no logical way that solid rules continuity or game balance could be maintained through proper play testing and overview. When I buy a GURPS book, I know some very smart people put some very hard work into every rule and idea in the book, then spend a great deal of time making sure that it was right. I don't get the same feeling from many D&D books. I still play D&D every now and again, but I think that there are just too many books way to fast. It creates this overall hodge podge system that needs to be completely overhauled every four-five years.

Does that make any sense? I mean I'm no industry insider, but that's what is seems like to me.

Also, did you see all that stuff about the digital support? I heard something about having to pay a subscriber fee to accesses to gain some of the extra online community resources. No idea if that's true, it's just what I heard. Also, I don't mind using some computer aid to facilitate gaming, but the most fun for me is being able to shut down my video games and play some good old pen and paper with my friends in the same room.

This guy on youtube has a bunch of videos about D&D 4e.

My Psych blog -
http://dinnerbellring.blogspot.com/
Old 08-30-2007, 12:48 PM   #19
NeverCool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happypuke
This guy on youtube has a bunch of videos about D&D 4e.
Hmm... Just watched the entire 4-part presentation of the 4. edition DnD. I was kind of shocked (well, mildly surprised anyway). I had honestly never realized how much the game has stuck to its roots as a tabletop tactical warfare game. Everything was focused around moving little pieces on a dungeon map, and about 'constructing encounters'. I really thought that the whole WoD impact and later the conquests of online MMORPGs like World o'Warcraft had made the dungeon-theme a less significant base of roleplaying. Now I understand why my DnD buddy always uses dungeons even after DMing for nearly 20 years....

As for the system overhaul, I don't know. Seems like the old "money for nothing" angle, sure, but the system does have some drawbacks that GURPS does not (not wanting to bash DnD, still respect them for some very cool concepts). One is that it is very narrow. It doesn't really explore any other angles of roleplaying than the dungeoneering and combat (80-90% of DnD magic is somehow combat magic). That they can produce so much is just because it is inflexible. I wanted to make a merchant character once. I ended up with a warrior who knew a little about trade and called him a mercenary. Every character type is a seperate description. That makes room for a LOT of writing. Plenty of character types in the real world (and thus probably fantasy too).
Old 08-31-2007, 06:01 AM   #20
Redmask

First of all: Nice community you have here :) This is my first post...so hi everybody... *waves*

Second of all: I am glad that the current edition of GURPS will be the one supported for many years to come. Especially since I am just starting with it. I just bought a new copy of the deluxe edition (no less ;) )

The only thing missing to make it all perfekt (imo, that is) would be a Malazan Book of the Fallen RPG, powered by GURPS :D

Sorry, enough babbling
Closed Thread