Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2007, 11:18 PM   #1
tHEhERETIC
 
tHEhERETIC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Life imitates art--I'm in Pohang
Default In Nomine: The Mile Higher Club (IC)

Game mechanics and other out of character matters are in thread
http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=29288
I just highlighted and tidied up in the hope that I can make them somewhat clearer.


All links are now noted in an offsite page here

The Mile Higher Club

Field work can be tedious and full of hassles. You certainly miss just zipping over to a friend in the Heavens (or Hell, though that’s its own set of hassles). Here you have to get a phone number, get a phone, and hope they answer—at best. But it’s part of the job, and the most important job there is. Because The War in the end is about these souls, and you can’t save souls if you don’t understand them. So here you are, in an immersion course in Humanity.

Part of understanding humanity is these hassles, and a feeling something-like-loneliness when you can’t get through. Sure, with your Role you have friends, but they’re different. They don’t—mostly can’t—know the real you. What you wouldn’t give to sit across the table with someone else who’s been in The Presence, someone who knows what it’s like to have a Word even if you don’t talk about it.

Somebody understands. He—or she?—left a message on the back of seat 35C on the flight from LA to SFO. “Netzach, Mile Higher Club, welcome” was all it said. Sure enough though, if you laid the Tree of Life over the plane’s seating plan, you were sitting right at Netzach. You smiled, summoned up a bit of Essence, and added your own coda. “Binah, received” and on your way out tucked a little essence in the pocket of seat 12B.

You stepped just a little lighter that day, and promised yourself to take that flight again sometime.
__________________
Criminy...these two have enough issues, they can sell subscriptions! (ladyarcana55, in a PM)

Last edited by tHEhERETIC; 10-14-2007 at 05:53 PM. Reason: link to ooc thread, link to 'master' Angelfire page
tHEhERETIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 12:10 AM   #2
tHEhERETIC
 
tHEhERETIC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Life imitates art--I'm in Pohang
Default a kickstart--with apologies to Chris Kattan

You (in this case Puck's character, forgive my hijacking him/her for the moment) are back on the same plane, you notice. Commuting by plane is such a bother, but it has to be done to keep the wheels of commerce greased. You're in seat 35D, so you look in the pocket of the seat next to you. "Netzach to Yesod, MHC, is anybody out there?" You pull out the card you got from the bookstore and it shows Yesod should be one row back and just on the other side of the aisle. You look up, and the person there is smiling. (up to you all who that person is)

Near the front of the coach section---say, around row 12-- a teenaged boy leans into the aisle, putting his hand on the floor and staring straight at you through is long black bangs. He's wearing black fingerless gloves, far too much makeup, and jewelry that should have taken him at least an hour to get through security with. In a voice that is sinister and unnatural, he says "My name is Shedim, for we are many!" and smiles at you like a shark.

Before you can react, he is promptly cuffed over the head by his mother, apparently sitting next to him. "Chris! Knock it off! And give me the fuzzbox,
now!" The kid sits up, but not before smiling knowingly at you.
__________________
Criminy...these two have enough issues, they can sell subscriptions! (ladyarcana55, in a PM)
tHEhERETIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 02:01 AM   #3
Puck
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default Re: a kickstart--with apologies to Chris Kattan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEhERETIC
You (in this case Puck's character, forgive my hijacking him/her for the moment) are back on the same plane, you notice. Commuting by plane is such a bother, but it has to be done to keep the wheels of commerce greased. You're in seat 35D, so you look in the pocket of the seat next to you. "Netzach to Yesod, MHC, is anybody out there?" You pull out the card you got from the bookstore and it shows Yesod should be one row back and just on the other side of the aisle. You look up, and the person there is smiling. (up to you all who that person is)

Near the front of the coach section---say, around row 12-- a teenaged boy leans into the aisle, putting his hand on the floor and staring straight at you through is long black bangs. He's wearing black fingerless gloves, far too much makeup, and jewelry that should have taken him at least an hour to get through security with. In a voice that is sinister and unnatural, he says "My name is Shedim, for we are many!" and smiles at you like a shark.

Before you can react, he is promptly cuffed over the head by his mother, apparently sitting next to him. "Chris! Knock it off! And give me the fuzzbox,
now!" The kid sits up, but not before smiling knowingly at you.
Mitchem, Seraph of Trade carefuly folded the note in half and sliped back into the seat pocket. He carefuly unbuckles himself and stands, briefly meeting the eyes of the angel of the angel across the row. He give his fellow celestial a brief nod and a smile before turning his gaze to the Shedim inhabited teen. He walks forward towards the restroom in the front of the plane, briefly glancing down at the young man, murmmering softly "Listen to your elders, for they know more then you." He then moves onto the restroom, returning to his seat a few minutes later.
Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 02:55 AM   #4
tHEhERETIC
 
tHEhERETIC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Life imitates art--I'm in Pohang
Default Re: a kickstart--with apologies to Chris Kattan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck
Mitchem, Seraph of Trade carefuly folded the note in half and sliped back into the seat pocket. He carefuly unbuckles himself and stands, briefly meeting the eyes of the angel of the angel across the row. He give his fellow celestial a brief nod and a smile before turning his gaze to the Shedim inhabited teen. He walks forward towards the restroom in the front of the plane, briefly glancing down at the young man, murmmering softly "Listen to your elders, for they know more then you." He then moves onto the restroom, returning to his seat a few minutes later.
Someone makes a "pshhhhhhhhh" sound as you pass--probably the teen, but without the vibrato in his voice.

The angel across the way may be one of the PC's, or could be the NPC who started the note passing--I'll back off until Monday night (my time) to let you all work with that. Also will hold off on the plane landing until Monday night. Long flight...
__________________
Criminy...these two have enough issues, they can sell subscriptions! (ladyarcana55, in a PM)

Last edited by tHEhERETIC; 08-05-2007 at 01:19 PM.
tHEhERETIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 05:35 PM   #5
Puck
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default Re: a kickstart--with apologies to Chris Kattan

[QUOTE=tHEhERETIC]Someone makes a "pshhhhhhhhh" sound as you pass--probably the teen, but without the vibrato in his voice.

Mitchem flicks a glance down at the teen as he returns to his seat. Picking up the inflight magazine he watches the boy and his mother as he pretends to read.
Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 12:50 PM   #6
tHEhERETIC
 
tHEhERETIC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Life imitates art--I'm in Pohang
Default Re: a kickstart--with apologies to Chris Kattan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck
Mitchem flicks a glance down at the teen as he returns to his seat. Picking up the inflight magazine he watches the boy and his mother as he pretends to read.
The goth boy tries in vain to strike up a conversation with the people in the aisle across from him. He puts on headphones and bounces around in his seat, but this too gets ignored.

The plane lands at LAX and the kid and his mother, being about twenty rows ahead of you, get off the plane without incident a few yards ahead of you. If you really try to hustle past the other passengers to get to him, the mysterious celestial in the other row puts his hand on your shoulder and shakes his head with a smile.

Said celestial looks something like this:
http://www.bigskyhorizons.com/alx/me/bio.htm
He seems quite excited to be landed, animated and energetic unlike before the landing when he sat calmly, content to putter in his sketchbook.
__________________
Criminy...these two have enough issues, they can sell subscriptions! (ladyarcana55, in a PM)

Last edited by tHEhERETIC; 08-08-2007 at 10:30 PM.
tHEhERETIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 06:52 PM   #7
Puck
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default Re: a kickstart--with apologies to Chris Kattan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEhERETIC
The goth boy tries in vain to strike up a conversation with the people in the aisle across from him. He puts on headphones and bounces around in his seat, but this too gets ignored.

The plane lands at LAX and the kid and his mother, being about twenty rows ahead of you, get off the plane without incident a few yards ahead of you. If you really try to hustle past the other passengers to get to him, the mysterious celestial in the other row puts his hand on your shoulder and shakes his head with a smile.

Said celestial looks something like this:
http://www.bigskyhorizons.com/alx/me/bio.htm
He seems quite excited to be landed, animated and energetic unlike before the landing when he sat calmly, content to putter in his sketchbook.
Mitchem pauses to let a mother and child past him and then turns to the other celestial "Come, let's find a private place to speak." Heading off the plane he finds a quiet corner and folds his arms "Who are you?"
Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 07:43 PM   #8
tHEhERETIC
 
tHEhERETIC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Life imitates art--I'm in Pohang
Default Re: a kickstart--with apologies to Chris Kattan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck
Mitchem pauses to let a mother and child past him and then turns to the other celestial "Come, let's find a private place to speak." Heading off the plane he finds a quiet corner and folds his arms "Who are you?"
He doesn't exactly follow you to a corner, but invites you to walk with him out to the parking lot...all around the parking lot. It's as though he's not even looking for his car.

He looks down at a lock of unruly blond hair. "At the moment, I'm Alx leDante, an artist from Los Angeles. Generally though I'm called (he discreetly switches to Celestial) Corat (and switches back). It's just amazing to finally get contact with someone else up there! Have you gotten any other answers, 'cos I haven't yet. Where are you from, what are you up to, good God it is good to be able to talk to someone! I hope Alx doesn't mind being late getting home..."

The phrase "amphetamine-dosed spider monkey" definitely applies to Corat.
__________________
Criminy...these two have enough issues, they can sell subscriptions! (ladyarcana55, in a PM)

Last edited by tHEhERETIC; 08-09-2007 at 08:49 PM.
tHEhERETIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 02:44 PM   #9
Puck
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default Re: a kickstart--with apologies to Chris Kattan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEhERETIC
He doesn't exactly follow you to a corner, but invites you to walk with him out to the parking lot...all around the parking lot. It's as though he's not even looking for his car.

He looks down at a lock of unruly blond hair. "At the moment, I'm Alx leDante, an artist from Los Angeles. Generally though I'm called (he discreetly switches to Celestial) Corat (and switches back). It's just amazing to finally get contact with someone else up there! Have you gotten any other answers, 'cos I haven't yet. Where are you from, what are you up to, good God it is good to be able to talk to someone! I hope Alx doesn't mind being late getting home..."

The phrase "amphetamine-dosed spider monkey" definitely applies to Corat.
As they walk around the parking lot Mitchem turns on his resonance, listening for the Truth behind Corat's words. "I'm not sure I know what you're talking about? Are you the one who left the note? Which Archangel do you work for? You are I take it, a Kyriotate? As for me I am called Mitch here on earth. In Heaven.." He sings a quick note that says Mitchem.
Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 03:10 PM   #10
tHEhERETIC
 
tHEhERETIC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Life imitates art--I'm in Pohang
Default Re: a kickstart--with apologies to Chris Kattan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck
As they walk around the parking lot Mitchem turns on his resonance, listening for the Truth behind Corat's words. "I'm not sure I know what you're talking about? Are you the one who left the note? Which Archangel do you work for? You are I take it, a Kyriotate? As for me I am called Mitch here on earth. In Heaven.." He sings a quick note that says Mitchem.
Corat does in fact ring True.

"Questions! Makes sense though. It is so good to hear someone who can Sing. Not a Kyrio, no no, just borrowing Alx for a bit. He's okay with that really; he's such a busy guy sometimes it's the only way he gets sleep." Which rings slightly off--an exaggeration or an incomplete statement rather than a lie outright. "Usually I'm Air Marshall John Wyatt--you just caught me on John's day off. And yes I leave the notes sometimes! Damn shame that little pricklet got hold of one though. Do you know anybody around here who...is not from around here?"

"But to answer your questions--I'm with Janus. And for choir...when you absolutely, positively have to be there, Ofanite."

He laughs at his own bad pun.

GM message: lurkers and other players! I'd like to see more people jumping in. Are you waiting for a particular location? Worried about statting your character? Go to the non-IC thread and tell me what I need to do (or what Corat needs to do, for that matter).
__________________
Criminy...these two have enough issues, they can sell subscriptions! (ladyarcana55, in a PM)

Last edited by tHEhERETIC; 08-13-2007 at 10:25 PM.
tHEhERETIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
in nomine

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.