Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 08-23-2007, 01:56 PM   #21
Puck

Default Re: In Nomine: the Mile Higher Club

Quick question, is there some reason we need to meet at the airport? It's going to start to be hard to come up with IC reason why Mitchim is out there. Meeting at a coffeeshop or something seems like it would be easier.
Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 05:27 PM   #22
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck
Quick question, is there some reason we need to meet at the airport? It's going to start to be hard to come up with IC reason why Mitchim is out there. Meeting at a coffeeshop or something seems like it would be easier.
Not required, certainly, just a convenient place for me to pull other characters from. If Mitchim and Nain want to meet at a coffeeshop, bless them there. I'm expecting two more characters to come live shortly (I hope), but we'll worry about how they'll catch up when the time comes. Maybe Corat (poor slob) or his mysterious Mercurian contact...
Old 08-26-2007, 05:14 PM   #23
tHEhERETIC

Default Mr. No Hope--clarification

Bouncing some ideas off friends and fellow players, trying to make that clear. (This is something that came up in the chat game, and will play through the PbP. One of the characters ran Divine Destiny on and got "he has no Destiny".)

Now, the rule in the book on Divine Destiny is that it only shows up on mortals. Frankly, though, my own quote haunts me: "Lawyers go to Hell :D". I didn't think of this at the time, didn't point it out, so the Yvesian can reasonably assume she's dealing with one very weird bird, who doesn't have a destiny.

This has involved a rewrite of the Dark Man--he was originally going to be a Balseraph of Saminga. He may yet be, or...

House rule on Divine Destiny (and Fated Future):

An angel of Yves looks at someone to determine what his or her Destiny is, his or her Fate, and sees it as though it were written in script above his or her head, and knows it to be accurate. How it got there is not as simple.

Yves maintains a library--everybody knows this. Does Kronos, or does he have a card in Yves'? That's not so clear. The mechanism for Divine Destiny is not unlike pulling up a web page--the angel sends a mental image of the person she's reading as though it were a URL. Yves' server sends back the results. Now Yves is good, very very good, but he's not perfect.

He's got files on all mortals, or 99.9998% of them.
Celestials his numbers aren't so good, or maybe the server's just reluctant to pull them up. You'll get results most of the time, but not always. Superiors, for instance...don't even try to read them. They've got filterware. ;)
Others, be they animals, ethereals, undead, or whatnot, you'll rarely find files on them. It happens, such as in the case of Barbaro, where that individual will have an impact on the world.

Sometimes the angel reading Divine Destiny will get the equivalent of a "401 Unauthorized", usually in the case of a celestial though sometimes when trying to read an Other.

What you got on Dark Man is closer to a "404 Not Found". Worth looking into, certainly.

This is me as a GM. If I say something off-the-cuff, I adjust the backstory to fit. I try not to alter anything I've put in play if I can humanly help it.

Last edited by tHEhERETIC; 12-09-2007 at 11:09 AM. Reason: had my codes backwards
tHEhERETIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 06:10 PM   #24
Puck

Quick question. What do we know about local angelic forces in the city? Are there any Tethers?
Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 07:35 PM   #25
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck
Quick question. What do we know about local angelic forces in the city? Are there any Tethers?
---GM looks at you blankly.---

Mmmkay, you caught me with my proverbial trousers down. Put a tether or two where you think they should go, and I'll roll with it.

--sheepish grin--

Angelic forces in general are laying low, always have been. You have a relatively high proportion of Mercurians, a fair proportion of Cherubim and Kyrios, and almost no Seraphim or Elohim. Michaelites are not unheard of, but a servitor of Laurence would be very rare. LA, angelically speaking, is a rogue's gallery.

That help?

Last edited by tHEhERETIC; 08-29-2007 at 07:42 PM.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:03 AM   #26
Methariel

Default On the Angelic Language and L.A.

Well, so I may suppose that Los Angeles has become slightly more "habitable" to someone of the Host since the events in "Fall of the Malakim"? (Perhaps the Watts Tether (to Eli) has reopened?)

Another question I do have concerns the use of the Angelic "language".
I thought it was impossible to use it directly on Earth (as opposed to Helltongue, which is warped enough so that it can be used corporeally). Only angels of Michael with the "Vassal of War"-Distinction were able to use it on Earth - so I thought.
(It is all written somewhere in the main rulebook, in one of these nice grey boxes; but I don't have my rulebook around at the moment.)
Angels have to use the "Singing"-skill to "hum" Angelic, hoping that fellow angels get what they want to say. (But I forgot how the rules exactly work.)
I think it's a nice idea, making Angelic so pure and True that it can't be spoken on Earth - or at least in a corporeal vessel.
Is that so?

Methariel
Old 08-30-2007, 08:47 AM   #27
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Default Re: [OOC] In Nomine: the Mile Higher Club

p. 187, box, The Dark Celestial Tongue.

*(ob-Lilim: If you bought the PDF core rules, you could have a copy on your computer anywhere... };> )*

EDIT: I stuck an [OOC] into this thread's subject line, to help distinguish it from the IC one. Moment of panic when posting here and all that.

EDIT2: GMs are, of course, free to house-rule anything. I was just providing the page number for reference purposes. O:>
Old 08-30-2007, 11:40 AM   #28
tHEhERETIC

Default Re: On the Angelic Language and L.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methariel
Well, so I may suppose that Los Angeles has become slightly more "habitable" to someone of the Host since the events in "Fall of the Malakim"? (Perhaps the Watts Tether (to Eli) has reopened?)

Another question I do have concerns the use of the Angelic "language".
I thought it was impossible to use it directly on Earth (as opposed to Helltongue, which is warped enough so that it can be used corporeally). Only angels of Michael with the "Vassal of War"-Distinction were able to use it on Earth - so I thought.
(It is all written somewhere in the main rulebook, in one of these nice grey boxes; but I don't have my rulebook around at the moment.)
Angels have to use the "Singing"-skill to "hum" Angelic, hoping that fellow angels get what they want to say. (But I forgot how the rules exactly work.)
I think it's a nice idea, making Angelic so pure and True that it can't be spoken on Earth - or at least in a corporeal vessel.
Is that so?

Methariel
I don't think I have have Fall of the Malakim, so an Eli tether in Watts--not a problem. Eli would be less threatening to the demons than say, Laurence.

You're correct on angelic language (thanks for the pg. number BTW) but in this case it's GM ex machina, loose canon. ;) I needed some way for the NPC to be able to positively identify the PC's, and it was the simplest way I could think of. It also shows you that at that time he was not above doing something identifiably non-human.

If we want to say that the PC's and Corat all have Singing/Humming, I don't mind at all.

There's one other bit of loose-canon-ness (I love that pun) that is written into the new-and-improved Dark Man. I hope you enjoy it.

Barbara

Last edited by tHEhERETIC; 08-30-2007 at 11:45 AM.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:51 PM   #29
Methariel

Default Re: On the Angelic Language and L.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEhERETIC
If we want to say that the PC's and Corat all have Singing/Humming, I don't mind at all.
If no one objects, why not? So they'd be able to "hum" their name and others could get it...if they made their...Intelligence(?) roll.

And why not a Laurence-Tether? ;)
But, joking aside, I'm very comfortable with a Tether to Creation - lots of roleplaying-opportunities for my part:
"What, the only angelic Tether in the city itself is one dedicated to him?"

Methariel
Old 08-30-2007, 03:48 PM   #30
tHEhERETIC

Default Re: [OOC] In Nomine: the Mile Higher Club

Folks--
I'm running IN live at Gamex/Strategicon on Saturday (an adventure I wrote and am really really proud of--of course I'll share), and Cthulhu Live on Sunday (one I bought and haven't studied enough!). Between now and Sunday night I'll be checking in a little bit but my focus will be elsewhere.

Feel free to play without me, invent ways for your characters to meet each other, compare notes. You're welcome to use Corat if you think you have a handle on him, but please leave Ryuki and the Dark Man out until I get back. Pepito is up to something but is fun to pick on anyway ;) ; you can include him too as long as it's just shenanigans.

I've PM'd a couple of you with background information; feel free to use it.

Have fun, be excellent to each other, and I'll see you when I get back.

Live chat game tentatively for Sunday the weekend of the 15th or 21st.

Tags
in nomine