Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-16-2007, 04:17 PM   #1
KlausPrinceOfTheUndeads

Default Abilities without a Power Modifier

Suppose that a demonologist (a character with some abilities belonging to a "Demonology" power) can have both spells (abilities like Afflictions and Innate Attacks) and permanent demonic qualities ("demon skin" granting DR, "demon eyes" granting Darkvision and Terror, etc.). The former would qualify for a power modifier (Divine - well, something like it - in the specific situation), but the latter no (they are permanent and canno be fair or be take away, no more than "wyld" abilities anyway). Could demonic qualities still be part of the Demonology power, or not?
Thanks for your attention and time.
KlausPrinceOfTheUndeads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 04:26 PM   #2
LemmingLord

Default Re: Abilities without a Power Modifier

They could, yes. Why not? Of course its up to the gm to rule whether a particular features is subject to the limitations of a power modifier.

The whole thing about divine is that you lose the abilities if you break your vow(s). If you lose your scales (or perhaps they turn against you in some way...) if you break your vow then sure, add it. If you have been turned into something that you will get to take full advantage of whether or no you meet the guidelines of your holy vows / dark pact, then you wouldn't add that modifier..

Of course you might have another modifier instead....magical and biological are both possible.
LemmingLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 04:26 PM   #3
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlausPrinceOfTheUndeads
Suppose that a demonologist can have both spells and permanent demonic qualities . The former would qualify for a power modifier (Divine - well, something like it - in the specific situation), but the latter no (they are permanent and canno be fair or be take away, no more than "wyld" abilities anyway). Could demonic qualities still be part of the Demonology power, or not?
I would say no, overall. If the advantages aren't subject to the normal limitations of the Divine modifier (i.e, if you violate the granter's code of behavior, you lose them), then they are, essentially, some kind of one-off gift. The demonologist might be able to strike a bargain with a particular demon to turn their skin into demonic armor, but that would be a matter of roleplaying - I wouldn't let the demonologist simply spend training time learning to manifest the demonic hide.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 04:55 PM   #4
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

This falls under the "Charisma clause" for Telepathy on p. 134 of Powers: "Telepaths often have Charisma as a side effect of their power, but it isn't considered one of the power's abilities." That is, you can use "I have this power" to justify "I have this unusual-but-related advantage," but you can't argue that an advantage without the power modifier should benefit from a power's Talent and use whatever power-stunt rules the GM allows. If you want those benefits, then you have to accept that your advantages are shut down with the rest of the power, and give them the power modifier.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote