Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 07-14-2007, 08:43 AM   #11
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Default Re: Working on starting a In Nomine game, seeking advice

What may help you place Tethers is that the index of the Liber Castellorum includes listings by country (for non-US countries) and by state (in the US). I did the index (so you can blame me for gaps), and having a way to group all referenced places (including some that didn't bother to mention state/country because Everyone Knows where X is, unless they're brain-hiccupping) seemed important. (Although errata is possible. I'm going to have to see what I've done with the "throwaway line" Tethers, since Death Valley is not mentioned under California's entry, curse it.)

And then there's the Generic Tethers, which are designed to be plonked down at whim.

Nevada only has the Hoover Dam mentioned in the index, but the LCast only covers major Superiors -- Mammon's won't be in there. For that, I check Superiors 4... Frotz. We didn't have page-count to get any in. It's primarily fanon, then, to give him Las Vegas to some degree or other. (Fanon, and logic. Heh.)

Drat, I'd hoped that there'd be more canon help for you there.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:18 PM   #12
Dark Mistress

No worries Beth, likely once the book shows up. I will use the canon Tethers of Death Valley and Hoover Dam as is or at least with only mild tweaks.

Then see if any of the generic ones could be dropped into Vegas or near it, fitting real world locations good enough. Plus some of Alexondria's list works well. I did a google search on them and defenetly i think some will fit well. I don't mind having to do the tethers from scratch, I just wanted to try and use real world places to make it feel more real. Like just about everyone has heard of the Palomino club.

Benjamin Franklin
Dark Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 01:09 PM   #13
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

...what's the Palamino club? *wry blush*

As always, what goes in a campaign is up to the GM -- canon should be a help, not a straightjacket, for individual GMs. (For authors? I favor canon bondage, yes. *evil grin*)

Anyway, I do hope the canon serves your purposes when you get it. The LCast was one that I was kind of surprised at the utility of it, once it got done. It was better than even I'd thought it would be.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:13 PM   #14
Dark Mistress

I am guessing you have heard of Palomino's and just pretending otherwise. :)

Yeah I prefer to use as much canon as possible in games I do and tweak it as needed. Making stuff from scratch is fine but the more canon, the easier it is to get things going and the more familiar the game will feel to players. Plus using more canon means less work for me on doing those aspects of the game so i can focus more effort on other area's so works out.

My only problem I am leaning towards is to many potionally good tether idea's and over crowding the city and surronding area with them. So the problem is trying to pick which ones to use, as it stands i have something like 8 potional tethers for Vegas and greater area. (up to Pioche ghost town) Half of which are places within the city limits or or close enough most people wouldn't realise they left the city.

Benjamin Franklin
Old 07-16-2007, 02:58 PM   #15
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Actually, I'm clueless about Palamino's, honestly. I'd have to go to Google to find out anything about it. Far as I know, a Palamino is a kind of horse! (I could probably tell you more about the horse than the club...)

I know what you mean about Tether-placement. It can seem very easy to just load 'em all around. Hopefully the Tether-book will give suggestions on how to work that. (The GMG has some similar stuff, regarding number of celestials, IIRC?)
Old 07-16-2007, 03:43 PM   #16
Dark Mistress

Palomino club is one of the oldest strip club in vegas, built in the late 60's. it is the only full strip as in totally naked club that also serves alcohol inside the city limits. (they passed a law that full naked clubs could not serve alcohol only normal clubs and topless clubs could, but Palomino's was old enough to be grandfathered in and not have to abide by the law)

It has also been used in several tv shows most recently CSI did a show in the club this past year, as well as many movies have shown it.

Honestly kinda surprised you have never heard of it, I thought pretty much just about everyone had heard of it, kinda like Crazy Horse in Paris. It is considered a Las Vegas landmark and one of the most famous strip clubs in the world.

Which of course is why it defently seems like it could be a tether to lust.

Benjamin Franklin
Old 07-16-2007, 05:55 PM   #17
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Paris has somewhere called Crazy Horse?

Are they related?

(Seriously, I could tell you some nice pizza places in Austin, but clubs in other states? Clllluuueless. O:> )

It definitely sounds Lust-Tether material, though!
Old 07-16-2007, 06:02 PM   #18
Dark Mistress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel Beth
Paris has somewhere called Crazy Horse?
Yep Crazy Horse Saloon I think is the full name. There is one in Vegas model after it. I only know about them cause I have seen them in movies and TV shows.

Benjamin Franklin
Old 07-17-2007, 08:56 AM   #19
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

New knowledge, yay! O:> (I haven't been watching TV for some time now...)