Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 07-03-2007, 10:23 PM   #1
Dark Mistress

Default Would anyone be interasted in a Chat In Nomina game?

Title mostly says it all. I currently do the web stuff for a Old World of Darkness site for a friend of mine. He has said i can use exter space for my own personal games or what have you. I have thought about it for awhile.

Anyways the chats are HTML style(no auto update ect) there is a dice roller currently designed to roll D10's but it wouldn't take me much to convert it to rolling 3 D6 with one a different color to be the check dice.

Now this offer being made is only for the chat rooms, any web page support would need to be added by someone else. Also IF there is enough interest, there would also need to be someone willing to actually run such a game.

But I am willing to see if there is enough interest and people devoted to making it work to purpose this as a possible option. For questions or discussion please post in this thread.

Benjamin Franklin
Dark Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 11:01 PM   #2
cptbutton

Default Re: Would anyone be interasted in a Chat In Nomina game?

I might be interested, but I'd need to try the chat room interface first. It sounds like you're talking about a web based chat, and I've never seen a web chat that didn't suck. Granted, I haven't looked much lately.

(Usually not as much of a dick as I sound like here.)

Edit for typo joke: Is In Nomina the game where you fight the War on behalf of Goddess instead of God?
cptbutton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 11:05 PM   #3
Dark Mistress

http://www.wodnyc.net/cgi-bin/chat/test.cgi

thats the link to a plain test room, that naturally i use to test changes in before i make perment changes to the used chat rooms that the games take place in.

Just to give you a idea what I mean.

Keep in mind I am not offering to run it, may or may not play in a game if it happens. Just we have a lot of free space at the moment and the above chats take up very little room. I like In Nomine and would like to support it, hence the reason for my offer to discuss setting one up, if there is enough interest.

Benjamin Franklin
Old 07-06-2007, 09:18 AM   #4
Blackwing

I'd love to play in one for a change. It's been now over a year since I last got to play in an IN game instead of GMing one.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:52 AM   #5
Dark Mistress

Well black if enough people show interest and someone or someones are willing to run a game. My friend is willing to provide the sever space and i am willing to set up and keep the chats going. So will see, it is a time of year when many go on vacations so will see if more don't respond later.

Benjamin Franklin
Old 07-06-2007, 10:15 AM   #6
alexondria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Mistress
Well black if enough people show interest and someone or someones are willing to run a game. My friend is willing to provide the sever space and i am willing to set up and keep the chats going. So will see, it is a time of year when many go on vacations so will see if more don't respond later.
I've never played in a chat game before but I'd be willing to try if you find someone to run one.
alexondria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 10:31 AM   #7
Sylver
MIB

Count me in for playing..

Though I hope the rules for the chat-based game will be posted somewhere.. I've never played a chat-based game before..

Hugs! :)
Sylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 12:21 PM   #8
Dark Mistress

Well typically chat based games use the same rules as you find in a table top game. I would have to tweak the dice roller to work with In Nomine instead of White Wolfs World of Darkness games which is what it currently is designed for but that wouldn't be hard.

Most sites i have played on for other games run one of two ways.

1) Everyone agrees to meet on a certain day at a certain time and basiclly the game is run exactly like it would run around your kitchen table at home. The only difference is instead of a table there is a chat room and instead of saying what you do, you type it out. The best part of this style is for working adults with family who don't always have a lot of free time so saving that 1hr+ of combined drive time lets them play more, not to mention it allows them to play at times when they couldn't otherwise leave the house. Such as when the kids are home but occupied, fine to be on the computer then but not ok to leave them at home alone.

2) The second type which oddly mostly just seems popular with WoD stuff by WW is. A perment 24/7 game. The following is just a rough outline and idea how one could be set up, based roughly on the WoD WW site that i am part of(the one that is offering the exter space www.wodnyc.net is the URL to get a better understanding of what I mean)

But basicly it is set up like this. First you pick a campaign setting, say New York City. Then you do the basics needed (list of tethers ect), next you would need a set of ST's who can work together. (In WoD they are broke up by game with assitants of certain area's) So for example of staff postions and what they might do.

In Nomine ST - They would over see the general game, make sure the rules are followed. Make sure everyone uses the same rules, make decisions on rule interpitation, create house rules when needed(typical on those rare cases where something doesn't translate well online which is rare but happens). Works on broad ideas for the the game as whole but occasionally might run some story arcs that is open to all characters both angel and demons.

Angelic ST - Main focus is approving Angel PC's, soldiers, Saints ect. Focusing on running SL's(storylines which i will just call SL's from now on) for angels and the such.

(note depending on how big of a game it becomes there might be AST's aka Assitant Story Tellers, they would be assigned specific area's anything from Angels, to soldiers, saints and sorc, to maybe running groups of superiors. Just depends on the size of the game(as a example the WoD site has at last count 60+ active players and about 11 staff to run things) large games you might have AST 1 in charge of 4 superiors and would focusing on running things for there followers, AST 2 another 4 and so one. The number of AST needed depends on the main ST's time and size of the game)

Demonic ST - same as the angel one but of course for demons and the rest follows as well.

So basicly for the second type of site you would really need likely at least 3 ST's to make it work.

Most of the "scenes" or play sessions on online chats are actually just all players doing your basic social stuff. It works far better than it sounds but it only appeals to players that love to RP for the sake of RPing and are more interested in character personality and development than XP and crunch advancement.

Next you would need some information about the varies chat rooms(which I tend to put a blurb at the top of each one and links to other ones at the bottom, but exter info can be posted on a web site, which really helps a game)

It would be recomended if the second option is used to have a character creation program, character list, and creation rules, as well as forums. (I think i could adapt the WoD creation program easy enough, same goes for the list which is part of same said program, the list and rules are just basic web page creations.) I might if enough interest is shown to create a In Nomine version of the WoD link I posted up above. Then of course you can add things like Galleries for people to post images and such.

All and all the second one is far easier to set up then most people think and i would be willing to help or even do the majority of it. But to make either idea work you need people willing with time to run a game or 24/7 game and then people to play it. I personally have no desire to run it and I may or may not play in option one, I would certainly play in option 2.

Well I think I have covered everything at least well enough with the site link as a example, but if anyone has specific questions feel free to ask and i will attempt to answer them.

Benjamin Franklin
Old 07-09-2007, 09:43 PM   #9
tHEhERETIC

Big sloppy hugs

I couldn't be more interested!!! I just left the Cam and I so need a fix...and I've been running In Nomine live at conventions for going on three years now (if I may brag just a wee). Eventually I'd like to get a batch of IN games connected to each other, sort of a confederated chronicle. Meanwhile though I'd like to be just a player and not a GM!

My game: http://community.livejournal.com/innominelive/

Please keep me posted on yours. I prefer Seraphim and Shedim, but I'm really not that picky.
tHEhERETIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 12:15 PM   #10
Dark Mistress

Well as i said, i am not willing to run, nor have the time to run a online In Nomine game but if someone else was or several others. I could and would set up the chat rooms for use. So far there doesn't seem to be much interest at all.

Benjamin Franklin