Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-12-2007, 09:05 AM   #1
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Disadvantage 'treats substance X as Affliction Y'... pricing?

Greetings, all!

How would one come to pricing the disadvantage, a variant of Weakness, which does no damage, but instead acts as an Affliction. Example: when hit with Neutralize (Psi), or is in the area of Psi Static, or is subject to psi-dampening drugs or devices, the character obtains -2 IQ and Chronic Depression for the same duration. Example 2: consuming salt causes Addiction (Salt), with an essentially permanent duration.

How would you price other examples of this disadvantage?

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-12-2007, 12:46 PM   #2
naloth

Default Re: Disadvantage 'treats substance X as Affliction Y'... pricing?

I would price it as the disadvantage + a heavy mitigator. Most of the examples you gave would be little more than quirks that could later turn into disadvantages.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 04:09 AM   #3
LordHelmet

Sorry for reviving this thread, but I've got a similar question.

I want to buid the following disadvantage:

Sensitive Sense of Taste/Smell.
You can't stand strong, especially bad smells. Whenever you smell the stench of fermented fodd such as wine, beer or cheese or that of a dragon, ogre or the city sewers you must make a HT roll or become Nauseated (B428). If you don't immediately withdraw from the source of the stench you will suffer from Retching (B429).

This disadvantage should come in levels. For every level above 1 your HT roll is modified by -1 (like Affliction B35).

Any ideas?
LordHelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:41 AM   #4
Desthro

Use the Accessibility Limitation on the Disadvantage in question that the substance triggers.

You can use the yardstick under Accessibility pg. 110 to build all manner of versions of disadvantages and advantages both.

You could also theoretically link disadvantages together, so that if one triggers the other one does as well. A bit odd, but workable. Revulsion or Weakness + <other disadvantage> would be quite neat!
Desthro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:42 AM   #5
Desthro

For the overly sensitive disadvantage, Revulsion fits quite nicely if you are willing to change it up.
Desthro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:53 AM   #6
PK

GURPS Bio-Tech has detailed rules for using Susceptible to model various forms of allergies. They could be tweaked to accomplish this.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:24 PM   #7
Vaevictis Asmadi

Somebody came up with an Afflicted disad that does this:

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=66353

Because of how the disad statted out in that thread compares to the RAW Electrical disad, I'd change it to dividing by 5 instead of by 10.

Sleep is a 150% modification for the Affliction attack. So divide that by -5% to get -30 pts. Then multiply that by the rarity modifier for the pop star, using the rarity modifiers under Weakness, to get the point cost for Urd's disadvantage. I'm guessing Rare x1/2, for -15 pts.

Published GURPS Settings
(as of 4/2013 -- I hope to update it someday...)
Vaevictis Asmadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:11 PM   #8
Mgellis

Using Susceptible is probably the way to go if something is resistible with a HT roll. For realistic allergies, this makes sense. As written, anything less than a totally incapacitating effect for a specific substance usually ends up being a quirk (e.g., less than 2 points). Allergies that can actually kill you would be worth more a lot of the time.

If the category of afflicting substances is very broad, then it might be more than a quirk, even if you are not totally incapacitated.

So, going back to an earlier question...

Sensitive Smell/Taste would be Susceptible (Strong odors, Very Common, Retching, -50%) [2/level]. If your roll is HT-2, that's three levels, or 6 points.

However, Susceptible (Silver, Occasional, Retching -50%) is going to be a quirk unless you take at least four levels of it, at which point it is [-2] to cause the check to be at HT-3, [-3] at HT-5, [-4] at HT-7, and so on.

For something that is automatic and cannot be resisted, Divine Curse is probably the best option for anything that isn't clearly a disease and does not do damage (e.g., a Weakness). I figured -10 for something that totally limits you but does not totally incapacitate you ("can't enter a dwelling without being invited by the owner," etc.), and -15 for something that does incapacitate you, leaving you helpless to attack, seemed reasonable.

Mark
Mgellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:53 PM   #9
LemmingLord

I agree with accessibility.